Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fridges and monkeys
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm 

Everyone has to be careful about leaving stuff out as these monkeys will take ANYTHING and it is not just inconvenient to the visitor but also could be dangerous for the animal.
At least the new big recycling bins can stop raids on open kitchen ones however I think the monkeys have also learnt that this means they get no freebies.
I was putting our rubbish in one at Croc Bridge and a male Vervet stood there and growled at me as though he knew he was being cheated.
I do admire them though as they are so intelligent.

Our next trip is back to KTP so at least no monkeys -just lions and snakes at picnic sites!!

Regards,

DASSIEDELIGHT

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
One morning while having breakfast at afsaal , a vervet came past me at the speed of lightning and in passing grabbed my toast off my plate,one cannot believe how quick they are :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On my last trip to Lower Sabie the tent next door to me was raided. They were relatively new to the Park and left a few things on the table while they popped down to the shops to purchase a few missing items. I heard some pretty choice language once they returned.

Monkeys are not too concerned about cleaning up the scene of crime. In this case, one of the items was a packet of sugar.

Taken at Tshokwane.

Shortly after taking this picture, the lady in the background was robbed of her nice fresh bread rolls.

Post subject: Re: safety of safari tents
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm 

We love the safari tents especially Tamboti's tents and it is really great the service of the monkeys helping you to unpack, unfortunately your goodies do not end up in your tent but all over camp so father-in-law is the dedicated car guard with his walking stick! :dance:
This also is a cause of great amusement for us watching and listening to him yelling and swinging his stick like a professional golfer.
Bush experience is awesome at night the genet and badger are regular guests seeing to all your dustbin needs if it is filled with leftovers the friendly badger will clean it up for you :D
Cannot complain about service delivery :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

While staying at Skukuza in January this year, we saw a few large baboons raiding huts fridges and having a feast. I will still chase vervets away but not a baboon.

Vervets are extremely forward as well. One trip while camping at Berg-en-Dal I was sitting under the gazebo chatting on the phone to my dad and out of the corner of my eye saw this vervet lift up the side flap of the gazebo and politely help himself to a packet of bread rolls, while I was sitting right there. Too quick and too clever. Berg-en-Dal's vervets will even bare their teeth at you when trying to get in or our of the communal ablutions.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's true GlenD the ones coming in to Berg n dal are the maakste (tamest)of the lot.
I remember I think it was 2010 that they were chasing woman and children around the camp some of them are calm and collected and get what they want and leave but others eish scary stuff

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Post subject: Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:29 pm 

flying cheetah wrote:
Hippotragus wrote:

Visitors must be fined if caught feeding any animals or birds.

Exactly what I think. But if you tell people not to feed animals they often get very aggressive and many of the people who work at restaurants or picnic spots do not care about this problem. They should get some kind of training concerning this matter :rtm:

I agree with that for 200% :rtm:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Vervet Monkeys at Berg-en-Dal restaurant was a major problem earlier this year (April). They would pounce and grab food from a table full of people without hesitation.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:23 am 

There is a very bad monkey problem at Tshokwane Picnic Spot. The last time we were there we had our breakfast stolen from our table.

We also saw some very stupid tourists feeding the monkeys. There is your problem right there.

28-31 March - Orpen

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 am 

We visited Nkulu picnic site twice at the end of June. On the second visit a very aggressive baboon raided a table of their Portuguese rolls, stole the ice-cream wrapper from a teenager as he was throwing into the bin and then stole a bag of apples from the back of a bakkie.
I suspect that the picnic spots are an easier food source at this time of the year especially as the park is so full during school holidays.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 am 

I agree with Mant on Tshokwane, and PeterPM on Nkuhlu, having serious monkey problems. Also at Mlondozi dam, there is a troop that is very aggressive. Satara is another place where the monkeys are out of control. I also did not encounter baboons at Afsaal, but they must be there...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 am 

At Tshokwane in 2011 we had a funny encounter with a vervet.

After they stole our bread that we brought along for French toast, we went and bought rolls at the shop. My SO was just sitting down to butter them when the vervet jumped on the table again.

My SO had such a fright she instintively slapped the vervet BANG on the head, now that is not the correct way of dealing with it but the people were rolling around with laughter as we could not establish ho had the biggest scare, the vervet or SO...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 am 

haha Stephan,

that's a great story - your SO must have been pretty quick to get the klap in as those monkeys are pretty speedy. At Mlondozi, the vervet stole our rolls from under our noses before we could even move !

As said on here by everyone - the tourists feeding them are the problem.
I never know whether to reprimand someone who is feeding the animals - as I have seen people get very defensive about this.

What do other mites do ?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am 

The best monkey deterrent I ever saw was one of the anti-poaching dogs based in Tshokwane. One of the handlers brought one over to the picnic site from the ranger station, I have never seen monkeys disappear so fast. While the dog was there everyone had a peaceful breakfast :lol:

A lot of the time people don't feed them, they are just distracted for a second and the monkeys are lightning fast. I have never actually seen anyone deliberately feed a monkey, just be unaware. If I think someone is becoming distracted I will warn them, but to be honest, unless people actually experience a raid they are disbelieving.

When Wacktazz was at Nkulu there were notices everywhere explaining that there was a problem and why it was a bad idea to feed animals. I think it had an affect. At Pafuri Frank warns everyone and gives out a kettie - you only have to pick it up off the tables and they scatter but he can't be everywhere and watch everyone and while we were there the little thieves helped themselves to someone else's tomato.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am 

I've never had a problem at Afsaal, but suppose it could happen anywhere.

We had an incident last year at Nkulu. An Alpha Male baboon jumped onto our table where our baby was in a carry-cot and snatched a loaf of bread out of our basket. SO was hysterical! The staff at Nkulu tried managing the baboons by slamming the lids of dustbins, and threatening them with Tazers, but it wasn't all that effective.
The staff gave us a complimentary bread after the incident.

*G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next