Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safari Vehicle Operators
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am 

Hi Dirk, and other mites!! :yaya:

I'm so glad to hear you recognized our meeting, I was wishing so much that I could run into you again that week just to say thanks! I've also secretly been hoping that you'll get out of the "closet" so to speak if I mention our meeting. Guys like you are appreciated and welcome in Kruger any time, with or without your radios. For the simple reason, I was not part of your guests, and I certainly wasn't about to tip you, but you came over and gave me a hint on a sighting plain for the reason that you saw the ribbon and wanted to meet me. That made me and my wife feel very special and privileged, and your hint did work out and we did get our sighting. :dance:

What I'm trying to say is that guys like you go out of their way to not just make your own guest's experience better, but also those of other guests. That's what make you a special person and guide in my book, and a true representative for S.A. Unfortunately, the lady mentioned in this posts are not like that. And she's got her few cronies that’s ganging with her and act the same as her. I only gave examples of where I had personal meetings with her, not of the other times other people also complained about them. :evil: For instance we went to Lace Panic. There is a sign at the entrance that says: silence please... There was a SUV operator standing there, talking over his radio, blaring it to the whole world to hear. You could hear every word his base and other operators told him al the way to where we sat in the hide. That’s not just inconsiderate, it’s plain spiteful. :naughty: And there are many other instances as well, where you’ll park next to this JJ, where the radio is also as loud and it's in a open cab to top it of... If I can listen to my radio, if and when I want to know what’s happening back in civilization, I do it in such a manner that I do not disturb others, and that only I hear it. Why can’t they. Do they want to look important or what? My issues with the JJ’s are not the use of radio’s, but how they use it. :rtm: That also goes for ordinary guests.

Once again, thanks to those like Dirk that still makes Kruger an enjoyable experience, Jeep Jocks and general public alike!! And please come home in one piece Dirk, we don't want to see you in the news! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

Good day All,

Many words have been spoken about OSV operations, however, apart from the absent radio's, I see no difference in the general day to day perations. :huh:
There seems to be some confusion as to what is acceptable and what would be unacceptable behaviour from ALL DRIVERS in the park.
The very recent notice, by SAN Parks about new traffic equipment, includes a rule that ALL traffic rules should be adhered to.
Are there Kruger by-laws then? E.g. driving on the wrong i.e. right side of the road to be on the side of the sighting.
Is this acceptable? If so, then it should be published to remove the uncertain/confusing/chaotic situations at some sightings. :?

I again suggest that we appeal to the authorities to clarify this matter. :rtm:
If every driver understands this, there may be less friction at sightings and less vehicles in the middle or on the wrong side of the road. :clap:

Greetings, I'm almost there, in Kruger, can't wait!! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The leaflet which contains your gate permit has clear instructions for behaviour at sightings (park on the side of the road with the sighting, do not angle park, keep opposite side of the road free for those who need to pass, etc) and other road rules.

Visitors simply need to read the instructions they are given!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 am 

Being a guide myself and a frequent visitor to Kruger on my off days I also find the Safari operators frustrating sometimes but also understand the pressures of having paying guests. I definitely dont justify their actions because of this. I am just wondering what permits do the tour operators need to bring guests into Kruger etc?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I know i'm reviving an old post here.

Mafunyane: To answer your question, tour operators need a special permit to drive in Kruger Park, and it certainly isn't easy or cheap to get it. And it can be lost so easily, and companies and their guides know this.

I just wanted to put in my opinion after reading through this thread. I've just had two very upsetting days in the park and it's moved me to say something :(

A few days ago, I was approaching a 'serious' leopard sighting. The kind where there are 4 lanes of traffic and people are out of their cars and horns are blasting and very few people can actually see the cat. So I hung back. The car behind me sped past me and parked sideways across the back of the queue in such a place she never would have seen the leopard. I don't know why she did it, but I fully expected her to move forward to the empty space in front of her. She had blocked the far right lane where I would naturally have moved to. So I joined the queue behind the car in front of me. It would be at least 20 mins before any of us would have a view of the leopard anyway and we were fine with that.

Next moment, to my right, I have a woman screaming at me. I mean SCREAMING. "You have no manners! You have no manners at all! I'm reporting you! You'll lose your drivers licence! Your behaviour is simply beyond beleif!" and so on.

Immediately I start to apologize and reverse the car so that she could take my space at the back of the queue if she wanted it. Certainly wasn't going to argue back. If she wanted my spot nowhere near the leopard and with no visual, she was welcome to it. Amazingly, she starts reversing alongside me, so that she could continue with her abuse. She was asking my guests for my name so that she could report me and kept on insulting me. Luckily, my guests thought she was quite funny.

This was so unnecessary and really hit home to me that some people will look for any excuse to criticize an OSV. I did everything right and I always do. Of course other vehicles are shorter than me. I am always aware of this and drive accordingly. My guests are constantly told that EVERYONE at the sighting needs to have a good view- not just us. I always invite the nearest car to take my place if i'm on the way out and have a better view than them. And I see other OSV's doing the same every day.

Yesterday morning while in the queue to enter at Croc Bridge, the car opposite started yelling at me, telling me I shouldn't be allowed in because they had to 'get up early' just to have their whole day ruined by 'people like me'. His abuse carried on for several minutes. I just kept quiet, but it hurt. I'm a nice girl and a good guide and I didn't deserve this. We weren't even in the park.

My faith in Kruger is fading :( I'm seeing way to much bad behaviour. Every day i'm asking people to please get back into their cars, and taking photos of license plates and watching people speed. But I've yet to report anything. These guys don't actually have anything to lose. And yet I have everything to lose.

I'm a forumite. No matter what vehicle i'm driving in Kruger, i'm doing it with a massive smile on my face, waving at others, sharing tip-offs, hoping that ALL the people around me, not just the guests sitting behind me, are going to experience something magical and wonderful in Kruger and I desperately want to be a part of that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Moose, keep it up! I am glad I drive the OSV mostly when others are off the road.Sadly the few bad apples have tarnished the view folk have of OSV drivers and it will take a long time to change that, if ever. Should there be an adverse report about you your company will have the names of the guests on board and can always check with them what actually happened!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:46 pm 

Moose, I can only reiterate what the others have said, you know you weren't in the wrong and so did your guests, just because some others don't have any manners, don't let them cause you to lose your enthusiasm and love for what you are doing.
I know JEG is also one of the guides who like you has a lot of respect for the wildlife and goes out of her way not to cause them or the other visitors any inconvenience.
So carry on doing what you are doing and try to ignore the rude and uncouth section of the population hard as it may be.

Post subject: Rude and obnoxious tour guides??
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 pm 

Hi All

I just came back from a weekend in Kruger, wonderful as always.

We were wondering if anyone on the forum has had a bad experience with tour operators from outside Kruger.
It’s now about the 3rd time in all the years going and have had literally enough.

We were at a wonderful lion sighting, when one of these operators arrived and radioed his partners in crime who drove past us a while back.

They off course came speeding to the scene, while trying to enjoy the moment with the lions that started roaring, he tried getting my attention by calling me the whole time, so that i must move out the way so that they can get a better view. :evil: I simply ignored him, and then he started very loudly pointing towards us, and making comments. :evil: Thus spoiling it for everyone. We decided to go and he pulled off at the same time, then being very deliberate he blocked the road about 3 times. :shock:

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Post subject: Re: Rude and obnoxious tour guides??
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

You have the details Robmeister.

Contact the company and give them the precise info.

If they have integrity, they will not enjoy the adverse publicity and will do something about it.

If you get excuses, then take it further to the social media, but give precise info.

Post subject: Open Game Drive Vehicles from Outside the Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 am 

We spent the past weekend in Hazyview and on Saturday me and my brother-in-law went into the park for the day to see what we could find....

At 5:00 we are at Phabeni Gate and patiently waited for officials to open the gate, we had about 4 Open Game Drive Vehicles in front of us, and about another 6 or so behind us.

As officials opened the gate these vehicles went crazy, overtaking each other and pushing in front of other self-drivers to get in first.

We entered at about 6:00 and headed for Pretoriuskop via the S1 and S7, beautiful scenery, my first time I drove this road.

From there we went up again to Skukuza, we had something to eat there and stretched our legs, from Skukuza we set off to Lower Sabie. As soon as we got on the H4-1 there were some Lions in a riverbed. Once again these Open Game Drive vehicles went ballistic, pushing through cars and going off the road to get their guests to see the lions, obstructing other peoples view and causing huge traffic jams, while others patiently wait in a que, by the time three of them had passed, the lions had left.

We carried on towards Lower Sabie and from there turned to back to Paul Kruger gate. Coming closer to Paul Kruger Gate pass the turn off to Phabeni, there was another big sighting(no sure if it was lion or leopard), these guys took over again and made havoc, the same as at the other sightings, giving no one else chance but them selves.

Between sightings they drive at high speeds, my guess is higher than the speed limit, from sighting to sighting. At sightings they drive off the roads and push other cars out the way.

I am very disgusted in their behavior when in the park, they take over and are destroying the habitat of the animals we love so much. I understand that they also want to give their guests the best they can, but is it worth making the park unpleasant for self-drive visitors?

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just being difficult?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 am 

A long time complaint!
The thing is where you see them blatantly breaking the rules is to take photos and report them to SANParks and to the company with as many details, time, road, number of vehicle etc as possible.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Agree with Elsa. If you take photos and note time and place and send it to the KNP officials they will act. The number is on your permit to check contact details.

Increasingly it seems that the operators themselves are also keen to have this information. They want to work more closely with KNP to sort out this problem so also contact the operator with the details

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is always best to report them - those jeep jockeys who disrupt and create a commotion. I am glad the Operators are co-operative to ensure that their employees who misbehave in Kruger are called to order. Their company names are clearly displayed on the vehicles, so their reputation and credibility are at stake.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Philip1 wrote:
:hmz: Watch out "Safari Vehicle Operators", see you soon!!! :twisted:

Yes Philip, you sort them out please :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This problem would not be there if there was no radio contact between the vehicles. They are racing to sightings at excessive speeds and in vast numbers. We were in the Park in January and there were two very sleepy male lions at the waterhole on the S21. The portion of road leading to this waterhole had taken serious strain with the rains but the OSV's just poured down there at huge speed and in such numbers that we gave up counting when we got to nearly 20. This is absolutely insane - I was under the impression that the calling in of sightings had been stopped by Sanparks but it appears to have crept back in and is becoming a major issue again. We were originally told that they require their radios for operational emergencies. Well the average tourist does not have access to any kind of emergency radio on the roads so why should they be any different? Its one thing to report a single OSV company for extremely bad behaviour but when you have 20 vehicles heading to a sighting at high speed on a gravel road it is virtually impossible to even recognise which company is driving which vehicle. Interesting that on a number of occasions - maybe attributable to the signage on our bus and the yellow and green ribbon we have been mistaken for an official Sanparks vehicle and have even had an OSV almost apologising to us for forcing us on to the verge on a narrow gravel road.

6.01.15 Elephant Walk Retreat
7.01.15 to 09.01.15 Satara
09.01.15 - 16.01.15 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next