Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird ID Challenge.
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here with the results of the challenge. Thank you to all those who participated. :clap:

#1 Cape Wagtail -juvenile
This seemed like a normal cape wagtail when I was taking the pictures, but when I got home I realised there was something funky about it. The colouring was a bit off, including the yellow around the knees. I almost got all excited that it may be something different, but alas, if you look carefully there is a yellow gape at the base of the bill which would make it a juvenile, and explain the “odd” appearance. A juvenile pied wagtail would have more white on the wing covets.

#2 African Marsh Harrier
No problems here.

#3 Speckled Pigeon
This particular bird got stuck in the chimney a few days before X-mass, hence the capture and close up macro picture…I wish I had a telephoto lens to get that kind of detail from wild birds :wall: . I told the kids it was Santa’s scout, to check that the chimney was OK to slide down! :twisted: He was released safely to the wild. :)

#4 Cape Longclaw
The yellow face markings and white tail tips in flight are very diagnostic for the longclaws. A broader more orange than yellow eyebrow separate it from yellow throated long claw.

#5 Little Rush Warbler
Most got this. In the field this warbler is fairly easily separated by the dark chocolate wash. And I love that cruck, cruck…stick on a picket fence call.

#6 Somber Bulbul
A difficult bird, even with a front view. Many got this one, as the grey olive green colour is in fact quite diagnostic if you are familiar with this species.

#7 Black Headed Canary (female)
Hell, this caused a lot of problems. I figured out why, as the field guides (Newmans, Roberts and Sasol) images for this species are horrid. :wall: :wall: If you check the thickness of the wire relative the size of the bird, you will realise it is tiny.

#8 Karoo Koorhan
No problems here.

#9 Layard’s Titbabler
A cryptic dry land special, as it tends to stay hidden in the middle of the little Karoo bushes. Most got it as a tit-babbler. The habitat preference of Karoo shrub rather than acacia woodland is a clue that it is not a chestnut vented.

#10 Lark like bunting
Most got this.

Huntsman gets the prize for the best caption… :lol: :lol: :lol: :congrats: !!!!!!!

Read more about:

1. Cape Wagtail
2. African Marsh-Harrier
3. Speckled Pigeon
4. Cape Longclaw
5. Little Rush Warbler
6. Sombre Bulbul unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
7. Black-headed Canary
8. Karoo Korhaan
9. Layard's Tit-Babbler unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
10. Lark-like Bunting

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are the answers to challenge #4.

The average score was 5.52/8 or 69%. Well done to adrianp and Ladybirder for getting full marks :clap:

1. Black-backed Puffback (immature)
This one caused quite a few problems. I think the orange wash underneath threw a lot of people off. The shape, black cap and white-tipped wing feathers all point towards Puffback. The females and youngsters have a grey, not black back, and it's more grey in the young birds. I think the orange is what confused everyone here, as none of our field guides really illustrate this feature properly (or at all). Roberts describes the immature as having orange-buff underparts. This was the most orange I've ever seen on an immature Puffback though. (picture taken: Tuli Block, Botswana)

2. Black-throated Canary (male)
Not too many problems here. The shape, size and bill shape puts this as a seed-eater. The shape, and colouring are wrong for most other seed-eaters, except the Canaries. This is a nice male which shows the distinct black throat where this bird gets its name from. (photo taken: Marievale Bird Snactuary, Gauteng)

3. Sabota Lark
I tried to maybe catch some of you out by showing it uncharacteristically sitting on the floor, as 90% of the time Sabotas perch on trees or shrubs. Most of you never fell for it and got it. Almost everyone put it in the Lark family, and the well-marked back, well-defined white supercilium and malar stripe, and the breast streaking make this Sabota. Dusky would have a much more plainly marked back, and Large-billed would have a yellow base to the bill and much more streaking underneath going all the way to the flanks. (Photo taken: S44, Kruger National Park)

4. Red-billed Quelea (non-br Male)
Quite a straight-forward ID here. The only other candidates with a heavy red bill include Pin-tailed and Shaft-tailed Whydah, and Village Indigobird. All three of those have more markings on the head than this. (Photo taken: Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana)

5. Buff-streaked Chat (female)
This was quite a tricky one, and I was impressed by how many of you got it! I think a big clue here was the habitat, as boulder-strewn slopes is typical habitat for this species. Most of our field guides don't illustrate female Buff-streaked Chat so accurately. The buff underparts and rump, dark tail with no traces of white, very faintly streaked breast and greyish supercilium all point to female Buff-streaked Chat. (Photo taken: Dullstroom)

6. Golden-tailed Woodpecker (male)
This one's not too tough if you just put all the pieces together. It can't be Knysna, Bennett's, Speckle-throated, or Green-backed as those are all have spotted, not streaked underparts. Bearded can be eliminated for several reasons, including grey underparts and broad black malar stripes and cheeks. This leaves Cardinal and Golden-tailed. I think everyone said one of these two species. It can't be Cardinal as that has a a more distinct malar stripe which is also black, not red, and Cardinal also has a plainer face than this . This leaves Golden-tailed, which fits with everything: Small red malar stripe, fully red head, streaked breast and streaked face. (Photo taken: Tshokwane, Kruger National Park)

7. Ovambo Sparrowhawk (female, sub-adult, pale form)
Accipiters are usually quite tough, especially when dealing with young birds, but the combination of the barring going all the way up to the throat, orange-ish cere, dark red-brown eye all point towards Ovambo Sparrowhawk. (Photo taken: Vlaklaagte, MP)

8. Bushveld Pipit
I though this one would be tough, but most of you nailed it! I'm impressed. A small compact pipit, with basically no facial markings or supercilium, and not streaked enough to be Striped, Tree or Short-tailed. Not the right shape or colouring to be any of the larger Pipits. (Photo taken: North-eastern Gauteng)

Hope you all had fun, and maybe even learned a thing or two :D

Regards
Matt

Read more about:

1. Black-backed Puffback
2. Black-throated Canary
3. Sabota Lark
4. Red-billed Quelea
5. Buff-streaked Chat
6. Golden-tailed Woodpecker
7. Ovambo Sparrowhawk
8. Bushveld Pipit

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I am really sorry that I have unleashed a very tough challenge on you lot. :twisted: :twisted:

I received very interesting answers. Some of the most difficult id's were made and some of the easier ones were missed. You are getting there quite quickly. Well done to everyone who took this one on. :thumbs_up:

The easiest bird was #1. Everyone got it correct.
The most difficult bird was #8. No one nailed that one.

Herewith the answers then.

#1. Mosque Swallow. White throat differentiates it from the similar Red-breasted Swallow.

#2. Sickle-winged Chat. The salmon coloured rump rules out Familiar chat.

#3. Terrestrial Brownbul, white throat, dark cheek and white eye ring were the diagnostics on this bird.

#4. Knysna Warbler

#5. Lark-like Bunting - it looks like a lark and a bunting, hence Lark-like Bunting :lol: :lol:

#6. Purple-banded Sunbird. Less decurved and shorter bill than Marico Sunbird and a narrower purple band.

#7. Croaking Cisticola, heavy thick bill rules out Rattling Cisticola.

#8. African Goshawk - young bird. The dark vertical stripe on the throat was a giveaway. :wink:

#9. Caspian Plover non breeding.

#10. Lesser Spotted Eagle, the tightly feathered tarsi (lower legs) and yellow eye ruled out Tawny Eagle and Wahlberg's Eagle.

Read more about:

1. Mosque Swallow
2. Sickle-winged Chat
3. Terrestrial Brownbul
4. Knysna Warbler
5. Lark-like Bunting
6. Purple-banded Sunbird
7. Croacking Cisticola
8. African Goshawk
9. Caspian Plover
10. Lesser-spotted Eagle

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Answers for Challenge #6/2013

1. Immature African Hawk-Eagle

2. non-breeding Black-necked Grebe

3. Forest Buzzard

4. immature Greater Flamingoes

5. Olive Sunbird

6. Rattling Cisticola

7. Red-faced Cisticola

8. Southern Tchagra

9. Taita Falcon

10. Yellow-throated Longclaw

Read more about:

1. African Hawk-Eagle
2. Black-necked Grebe
3. Forest Buzzard
4. Greater Flamingo
5. Olive Sunbird
6. Rattling Cisticola
7. Red-faced Cisticola
8. Southern Tchagra unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
9. Taita Falcon unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
10. Yellow-throated Longclaw

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Answers to #7/2013

1. Buffy Pipit

2. Cape Vulture

3. Icterine Warbler

4. Red-winged Francolin

5. Sanderling

6. Saddle-billed Stork

7. Melodious Lark

8. Whiskered Tern

9. Yellow-billed Stork

10. Green Sandpiper

Read more about:

1. Buffy Pipit
2. Cape Vulture
3. Icterine Warbler
4. Red-winged Francolin
5. Sanderling
6. Saddle-billed Stork
7. Melodious Lark
8. Whiskered Tern
9. Yellow-billed Stork
10. Green Sandpiper

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol:

I've got a problem with the "yellow-billed" part of the answer also :twisted: :twisted: ...

The gape extents to behind the eye, which makes it a Great egret, not yellow-billed :wink:

Last edited by Dabchick on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Seems like quite a few people are questioning the id on the Egret. :lol:

My opinion is that the neck is not long and slender enough and the "S" is not pronounced enough for Great Egret. Furthermore the bill is also not heavy enough for Great Egret.

Great Egret

Egret in question

Would like to hear your comments. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WTM

We're all having a bit of fun at what is obviously a typo.

Did you mean to call it a Yellow-billed Stork? :mrgreen:

Canon 7D / Canon 100-400mm 4.6-5.6 IS EF / Canon 28-85mm 2.8 EF

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I am not the sharpest on a Friday, Huntsman. It is not a Stork, it is indeed an egret! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
The answers to #8/2013

1. African Black Swift

2. Corn Crake

3. Denham's Bustard

4. Franklin's Gull

5. Great Sparrow

6. Grey Plover

7. Long-billed Pipit

8. Montagu's Harrier

9. Protea Seed-eater

10. White-fronted Bee-eater
Image[/quote]

Read more about:

1. African Black Swift
2. Corn Crake
3. Denham's Bustard
4. Franklin's Gull unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
5. Great Sparrow
6. Grey Plover
7. Long-billed Pipit
8. Montagu's Harrier
9. Protea Seedeater unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
10. White-fronted Bee-eater

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A very quiet week…. Less than 10 entries. I think my cisticola scared everybody away. Well done to Ladybirder with a top score of 9/10!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:
#1 Juvenile Little Grebe (Dabchick)
#2 Victorin’s warbler (everybody got this!!)
#3 Orange Breasted Sunbird (Female)
#4 Juvenile helmeted guineafowl
I was surprised how many got this common species wrong… I guess the adults are quite good at hiding the youngsters before they are big enough to take out in the open.
#5 Cape Spurfowl
#6 Booted eagle (pale morph)
#7 Pearl Breasted Swallow (one of the hardest)

This one had me going for a while, as it displayed typical barn swallow behaviour such as sitting on the dirt roads in overcast conditions (why do they do that????) and by association with Barn Swallows. I almost dismissed it as a juvenile Barn Swallow, if it were not for the fact that there was something not quite right about it.
You can see in the above picture there is one pearl breasted swallow among the group of barn swallows.

After looking at the next picture, then penny dropped. I initially dismissed the whole lot as barn swallows based on the behaviour, but when I reviewed the pictures I put 2 +2 together, and realised that the Karoo is “the spot” for Pearl breasted swallows. This picture was taken along the river just outside Oudshoorn.
#8 Common fiscal juvenile
#9 Zitting Cisticola (sorry nobody got this :redface: )
My apologies for this one, I tried to put in a sound clip, but my IT skills let me down here. If you got this down to a short tailed cisticola, then that is about as close as you will get on physical features. You need the call to nail it down 100%. By the way it was singing its head off while I took this.
#10 White Throated Swallow Image
The best captions:
“UNFAIR!!! Where’s MINE?”
“DAD!!! He’s choking!!”

Read more about:

1. Little Grebe
2. Victorin's Warbler
3. Orange-breasted Sunbird
4. Helmeted Guineafowl
5. Cape Spurfowl
6. Booted Eagle
7. Pearl-breasted Swallow
8. Common Fiscal
9. Zitting Cisticola
10. White-throated Swallow

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
hilda wrote:
Since most 'mites have full time jobs, it could be better if they have more time for the challenges! What do you think? :)

Speaking from past experience, it takes far more time and energy to set the challenge and and compose a meaningful feedback post than any of the participating 'mites can expend in their answers. Getting the number of participants up is important to show the challenge master that his / her efforts are appreciated, for one. The other major reason is our shared passion for birding and our compulsion to share and have this wonderful activity grow.

:lol: Just threaten to stop and you’ll see the numbers bounce back! :twisted:

On a serious note: On previous occasions when interest flagged, all the dedicated participants went out and canvassed to get their mates involved. We also have record of who participated previously and a gentle PM to nudge them awake may be all that is required. :wink:

Because you have managed so very competently to spread the work load, Hilda, I personally don't think the frequency of posts matters one way or another. In fact, bi-weekly may have the reverse effect to that which we desire, namely to get the participation numbers up.

I will keenly be watching to see how this unexpected problem is solved...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MattAxel wrote:
Hilda I think chellenges every second week might be a good idea.

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
I personally don't think the frequency of posts matters one way or another. In fact, bi-weekly may have the reverse effect to that which we desire, namely to get the participation numbers up.

Two contradictory answers from two of our ornothologists on the forum! :doh:

Let's not act precipitately, and see how it goes in the next few challenges. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree, a small prize will encourage participation. I don't think it should come from SANPARKS itself. I think they have bigger things to worry about like saving Rhino's and other stuff. Also government inertia may be an issue.

You would probably get a quicker response from a commercial enterprise. Something like the "Sasol/Anglo/MTN? monthly birding challenge", up the prestige, where they can sponsor a book prize each month. Perhaps a choice of book, since some of us seem to own most of them :mrgreen:

I think there are a lot interest groups that may consider sponsoring such an event.

E.g. cell phone operators... think of all the bandwidth they generate from forum interest. Prize of airtime vouchers or something.

Industrial corporates trying to get a greener image :hmz:

Accomodation vendors, Protea Hotels?

Outdoor Photo vouchers? A lot of the pictures on this forum must come from the use of their gear, and many of their customers are birders/wild card holders.

Or Bells can sponsor some hip flasks for day trips to Kruger :whistle: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are the answers to challenge #10 of 2013

Thank you to all of you who made an effort and took part, and a big well done to Ladybirder for getting full marks. :clap:

The average score was 5.18/8 or 64.78%

White-winged Tern - No problems here, everyone nailed this one. Well done! Photo taken at Mkhombo Dam, Mpumalanga

Cuckoo Finch - Overall yellow colour, with small tail. Back markings aren't correct for any of the weavers or Canaries. Photo taken at Vlaklaagte, Mpumalanga

Cape Rock Thrush (female) – Almost everyone got that it was one of the Rock Thrushes, but a lot of people didn't get it down to the correct species. Female Short-toed has a conspicuous white throat patch, and the markings on the throat of female Sentinel fade into the orange on the breast. Photo taken at Suikerbosrand, Gauteng

Wahlberg's Eagle - I tried to make it a bit difficult by using an underexposed photo so the coulours are a bit harder to make out. This is to show that when IDing raptors size and shape can often be more important than the colouring. Wahlberg's has a very distinct flight shape where it keeps its tail in a rectangular shape instead of fanned out, and also has very straight wings. All of you did really well here. Photo taken at Mabusa, Mpumalanga.

Buffy Pipit - This one caused quite a few problems. This is a very weirdly coloured Buffy Pipit, which is usually more sandy brown than this. This individual is in worn plumage, which makes it look like a darker grey-brown, more like the colour of Plain-backed Pipit. Good features to look at are the facial markings, because Plain-backed and Long-tailed have much more distinct superciliums and malar stripes than Buffy. This bird has basically no malar stripe, and a very weak buff supercilium. It also has a pinkish base to the bill, whereas Plain-backed usually has a more yellowish base (Note: Mandible colour should not be used alone as a distinguishing factor, but more of a guide, as light can sometimes manipulate the colour a bit.) Photo taken at Vlaklaagte, Mpumalaga.

Red-winged Francolin - No problems here, everyone got it. Photo taken at Dullstroom, Mpumalanga

Southern Banded Snake Eagle - This one was very tough, and only Ladybirder got it correct. Most people said an Accipiter of some sort, but the tail is too short, and the wing projections not long enough to be an Accipiter. It is also showing a slight crested appearance which is typical of Snake Eagles. Cuckoo-Hawk also has a slight crest, but Cuckoo-Hawk perches on really short legs, with only its feet visible, and its wing tips extend almost to the end of the tail. The white tips on the primaries also point towards Southern Banded Snake Eagle. Photo taken at Bonamanzi, KZN.

Chestnut-backed Sparrowlark (female) - Chestnut coloured upperparts, and dark belly patch are diagnostic. Photo taken at Satara, Kruger National Park.

Read more about:

1. White-winged Tern
2. Cuckoo Finch
3. Cape Rock-Thrush
4. Wahlberg's Eagle
5. Buffy Pipit
6. Red-winged Francolin
7. Southern Banded Snake Eagle
8. Chestnut-backed Sparrowlark unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next