Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In December of 2010 we almost bumped right into a male lion at the picnic table at DIKBAARDSKOLK on the Nossob river at the junction of the upper dune road! It was quite an adrenalin rushing experience for us.

This incident made me think that other forumites might have seen and photographed predators in other strange and unexpected locations where one would not 'normally' expect to encounter these animals. For example at the museum at AUCHTERLONIE, or in or near a toilet at a picnic site or on or near a waterhole signpost!

This thread may be very interesting and encourages you to place photos of such unusual sightings with some commentary if you feel like it!

It would be nice if you could post such possible photos with the particular waterhole signpost to appear in the photo!

Let's see how many waterholes, picnic spots and unusual places we can cover with lions, leopards and cheetahs near them!

DIKBAARDSKOLK PICNIC SITE

VEERTIENDE BOORGAT

Your comments wll make this even more interesting! I will post some more 'waterhole lions and leopards" at a later stage! Have fun! FMJ

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Post subject: Re: Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Waiting for the Menu. :wiz: Look at my SO, can not even find the Toilets :slap:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:24 am 

Hi all.
FMJ that I have not seen. Once at Dikbaard my dear wife needed the loo, only to find two lionesses and four cubs in the ladies toilet. Proof they can read, they were in the right toilet.
After a while they slid the door up and open and moved off out of sight.
Some carefull juggling and I got the Jeep in a position so my wife could get to the toilet safely. The concern makes one see a lion behind every bush.
That was a record pit stop, the fomula one guys had no chance of beating that.
Alls well that ends well.
Cheers bokvel.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bokvel wrote:
Hi all.
FMJ that I have not seen. Once at Dikbaard my dear wife needed the loo, only to find two lionesses and four cubs in the ladies toilet. Proof they can read, they were in the right toilet.
After a while they slid the door up and open and moved off out of sight.
Some carefull juggling and I got the Jeep in a position so my wife could get to the toilet safely. The concern makes one see a lion behind every bush.
That was a record pit stop, the fomula one guys had no chance of beating that.
Alls well that ends well.
Cheers bokvel.

OMW bokvel your wife mustve gotten the fright of her life lol Ive got say us as woman entering a public toilet we already expect to see something we don't want to but Lions woah now theirs a new one lol :D

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's the idea bokvel and Sheenaugh-Lee, it seems then, that although DIKBAARDSKOLK picnic site appears to be so calm and 'tamed', it is a regular pitstop for KTP lions! BE AWARE folks!

That particular day that we saw the male lion near the picnic table, (photo's above) my pregnant daughter was in desperate need of a toilet, so it all happened very quickly - me stopping, she opening the car door right next to the lion and then her terrified screams, waking the lazy lion up!

An unexpected tour operator stopped on the opposite side of the lion, with only a small shrub between him and the lion, not at all aware of it, lazily getting out of the his bus, tourists following with their backs to where the lion was and starting their stretching routines totally unawares of the lion.
We drove around to warn them about the male lion only meters away and I wish you could see their disbelief and subsequent sprints into the bus, doors slamming!
My daughter completely forgot about her need to visit the loo!
Ironically, someone told us at NOSSOB Camp, that they spotted THREE lions there! (Where were the others when we were there?)

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fotomaljohan wrote:
That's the idea bokvel and Sheenaugh-Lee, it seems then, that although DIKBAARDSKOLK picnic site appears to be so calm and 'tamed', it is a regular pitstop for KTP lions! BE AWARE folks!

That particular day that we saw the male lion near the picnic table, (photo's above) my pregnant daughter was in desperate need of a toilet, so it all happened very quickly - me stopping, she opening the car door right next to the lion and then her terrified screams, waking the lazy lion up!

An unexpected tour operator stopped on the opposite side of the lion, with only a small shrub between him and the lion, not at all aware of it, lazily getting out of the his bus, tourists following with their backs to where the lion was and starting their stretching routines totally unawares of the lion.
We drove around to warn them about the male lion only meters away and I wish you could see their disbelief and subsequent sprints into the bus, doors slamming!
My daughter completely forgot about her need to visit the loo!
Ironically, someone told us at NOSSOB Camp, that they spotted THREE lions there! (Where were the others when we were there?)

hell foto you can be glad your daughter didn't go into labour from such a fright, I myself have encountered snakes and monkeys in the ladies got to say im not a fan of snakes but ummmmm id take on snake over a lion anyday :o

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Lovely thread FJ... wish I could have seen the faces.

Bokvel, now that was a case of Great Expectations :lol: :lol:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great and very interesting thread Fotomaljohan! Maybe we could add a picture when we return from KTP in March! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think I will have a heart attack if I got out of the car and saw a lion lying right there in the picnic area. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
Monday September 03, 2012 - Unions End picnic spot. Another lioness who knew how to read. The complete story can be found in my trip report http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66002

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

See what I mean Timbits! These 'unusual' and especially unexpected lion sightings is enough to make our hair stand on-end for the surprise element that one can never anticipate! Thank you for publishing a great few photos here! I will be even more causious when approaching loo's in KTP in future! I also enjoyed your wonderful 'first" Trip Report with stunning photos, but that photo of the leopard with the AWC kill is just awesome! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Thank you Sheenaugh - Lee, hilda (enjoy your March trip to KTP and take plenty photos) and Carol b, I think the heart attacks were not far off, but the lion certainly managed to raise our blood preasures conciderably.

Regarding Timbit's photos above, I will definately be more alert in future approaching the loos in KTP!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

....and another waterhole sighting!

VEERTIENDE BOORGAT

This lion is not exactly in a KTP toilet, but certainly using the “Veertiende Boorgat” sign post as a toilet!

DO NOT FORGET:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
Thanks FMJ. The leopard with the AWC was selected as Predator Sighting of the Year. It was quite a surprise and honour, considering all the fantastic photos on this site.

A few years ago, we pulled in to Dikbaardskolk picnic spot. We were the only ones there. Did a cursory glance around and then headed for the toilets. Came back to the vehicle and were getting ready to leave. I saw what appeared to be a bright yellow pipe, approx 7 metres away. I pointed it out to SO, and he said "That's no pipe, that's a SNAKE!". Sure enough, it was a snake peering out of it's hole in the sand.

It was our first trip to KTP and we hadn't seen any snakes, and we had no idea what it was. We waited around a bit, and 3 or 4 more vehicles stopped. SO went over to one group and asked them if they knew anything about snakes. No one did, but they all wanted to see it. SO led them over to the hole. One guy was barefoot. :big_eyes: Everyone was trying to see into the hole, but the snake was shy. SO described it as bright yellow. No one had any idea what it could be. Another vehicle pulled in, almost driving over the hole.

We looked it up afterwards and found that it was a Cape Cobra. :redface:

Lesson learned. It's not only big cats that might be hiding. KTP is a beautiful place, but it's not a playground. One must be careful at all times. :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A Cobra? I would never have even thought it to be a cobra, IM assuming as its part of the cobra family its poisonous?? Eish walking sticks LOL

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
A Cobra? I would never have even thought it to be a cobra, IM assuming as its part of the cobra family its poisonous?? Eish walking sticks LOL

Yes SL your assumption is correct...... :thumbs_up:

Quote:
Cape cobra
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cape cobra (Naja nivea), also called the yellow cobra is a moderate-sized, highly venomous cobra inhabiting a wide variety of biomes across southern Africa including arid savanna, fynbos, bushveld, desert and semi-desert regions. The species is diurnal and is a feeding generalist, preying on a number of different species and carrion. Predators of this species include birds of prey, honey badgers and various species of mongoose. The Cape cobra is also known as the "geelslang" (yellow snake) and "bruinkapel" (brown cobra) in South Africa. Afrikaans speaking South Africans also refer to the Cape cobra as "koperkapel" ("copper cobra"), mainly because of a rich yellow color variation. This species has no known subspecies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next