SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best route to Addo from Stormsrivier with caravan
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Legadema,

The main entrance to Addo is on the R342 and might not be a bad idea to take the N10 off the N2 after PE. Less railway crossings and small towns to drive through. You do have the alternative to enter at Colchester and drive though the park to the northern section.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 pm 

I am just not sure that one can tow a caravan up the passes in the southern section if you enter at Colchester ... a few years back one was not allowed to.

I would do the route Son Godin suggests, going past PE to where the N10 joins the N2, going up the N10 and then turning off to Addo (R400).

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 pm 

Legadema
You are not allowed to enter the park at the Colchester entrance towing a caravan
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am 

Hi Legadema,

Travelled both routes last November and while you can travel faster on the Paterson/N10 route, you will still encounter road works on the N2 at Colchester.

We travelled the R335 via Addo village to Storms River and enjoyed the drive. Stopped at JBay Mall to stock-up and still arrived by lunch time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm 

The first route would be the N2 taking the turn off to Motherwell just past Blue Water bay on the 335. The road is not perfect but many people towing do travel that way and I used to go that way too. The other route is still the N2 but going through Colchester and take the turn off to Craddock on the N10 and at Paterson turn left to Addo I think the road is the 342. The Colchester entrance is not for trailers or caravans. Either way enjoy the journey and relax.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am 
Guru
Guru

I travel the R335 in to Addo from PE every day, and regularly see people towing on the road. Yes, it is a bit more bumpy than the alternative, but it is more direct. The municipality has been very good of late in keeping the potholes at bay.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In early January we travelled Storms River to Addo via N2 and R335. I wasn't towing but I don't remember having any problems with the road (except the above gale-force wind that day).

A few days later we drove from Addo to Boemfontein via Kirkwood-Jansenville-Graaff Reinet - Colesburg. This may not be the shortest/easiest, but we wanted to see the Valley of Desolation/Camdeboo NP. Again I don't remember having issues with the roads (but its a long drive).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Route and entrance gate from Graaff-Reinet to Addo NP
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 pm 

Please help...
It will be my first visit to Addo later this month. We will be staying at Camdeboo before we arrive. Please advise the best route to travel and entrance gate into Addo .
I assume I should use the R75 and then R336 - am I correct?
If traveling this route where would I enter the park?

Thanks

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Post subject: Re: Route and entrance gate from Graaff-Reinet to Addo NP
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am 

Jen, I assume you will be travelling vai the N1 down south?

Then at Colesberg, take the N9 down to Middelburg, from there the N10 all the way through Cradock (stock up here if necessary) and then at Patterson, turn right on the R342 to the Addo Main Gate Entrance.

This will be the shortest and best route, coming from Gauteng.

Blackie

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 am 

Sorry, just realised you will first be staying at Camdeboo. Still turn away at Colesberg on the N9 down to Graaff Reinet.

From there, I will take the R63 through Pearston and Somerset East and llink up with the N10 South to Patterson and then turn right onto the R342 to the Addo Main Gate Entrance.

Blackie

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm 

Hi Jen,

I would stick to your route. The R75 is a good enough road, which I have driven many times. You would then turn left onto the R336 (as suggested by you) and go through Kirkwood. I have also driven this road before, and is also in fairly good condition. I would say it would be the quickest route for me.

Kind regards,

Pat

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 pm 

Sorry, I forgot to add, the R336 comes out at a T Junction onto the R342. Turn left and you will enter at the main gate of Addo. It is clearly signposted all the way.

Post subject: Road conditions PE to ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me what the present conditions are of the road from PE via Motherwell to Addo???

Heading to Addo for the weekend and might have to travel part of the way in the dark, wanting to know if the road is ok...

Thanks
bublet

Post subject: Re: Road conditions PE to ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:34 pm 

Bublet wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me what the present conditions are of the road from PE via Motherwell to Addo???

Heading to Addo for the weekend and might have to travel part of the way in the dark, wanting to know if the road is ok...

Thanks
bublet

This should answer your question....

Officials dither as outcry grows over Addo road
February 24, 2014 |
Cindy Preller and Thulani Gqirana
PE HERALD

THE citrus industry is losing up to R150-million a year from damaged fruit due to the shocking state of the Addo Road.

And the authorities are just passing the buck on who is responsible for fixing it.

Sundays River Business Chamber chairman Flippie Ehlers said about 12500 trucks carrying 20 million cartons of fruit a year travelled on the Addo Road, which had potholes the size of small citrus trees in some places.

In addition, 600 Bay workers travelled on this “unsafe” road to work in the valley.

“With the road being so badly damaged for so long, the citrus industry has losses of about R150million per year,” Ehlers said.

“When overseas customers open the boxes and find the fruit, or even the labelling or boxes, to be damaged, they immediately send them back at cost. The citrus industry is the second biggest contributor to the [Eastern Cape] economy, after the motor industry, and the sorry state of the road has a massive impact on it.”

Sundays River Citrus Company managing director Ken Nieuwenhuizen said there was no doubt the bad condition of the road, coupled with heavy loads, caused serious damage to the fruit exported to an already fickle customer base, especially in Europe.

The citrus export season for the year starts at the end of March.

The Sundays River Business Chamber has taken up the issue of the road with local authorities.

Ehlers said the valley’s tourism industry was also suffering, with many guesthouses reporting that some tourists had turned around when they saw the bad road.

Apart from the 1600-bed tourism industry in the valley, the Addo Elephant National Park has also been affected. SANParks communications manager Fayroush Ludick said SANParks management had taken up the issue several times with the authorities.

“We have lots of complaints from visitors, especially those who travel with caravans or trailers. They have no other choice but to travel slowly,” Ludick said.

Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism chief executive Mandlakazi Skefile said the organisation was also lobbying to get the road fixed.

Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber president Kevin Hustler said this crucial link needed urgent attention.

While Mandela Bay municipal spokesman Mthubanzi Mniki said the Addo Road was not the municipality’s responsibility, Transport MEC Thandiswa Marawu said on Friday municipalities decided which roads to prioritise.

Post subject: Re: Road conditions PE to ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm 

No you can only enter the park at the main gate via the bad Motherwell/Addo road or at the Matyholweni gate at Colchester/Sundays River off the N2 highway.

The Addo / Paterson road that goes through the middle of the park are for thoroughfare and exit only and not for entrance to the park.

Vehicles with caravans or trailers can not enter the park via the Matyholweni gate.

Try to enter at Matyholweni in time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next