Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Advice On Bush Walks
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ive always found it interesting how people are willing to go on bush walks given the danger that your placing yourself in by doing so what Im curious about is should a person go on a bush walk and you run into the big cats, hyenas or wild dogs how does the guide handle such a scenario and how safe are you at the end of the day especially if you get surrounded by a pack of dogs or a pride of lion or a pack of hyena as posted today or even an elephant that stampedes or in like in the one TR I read of the stampeding buffalo? Please could someone help me out here cos for years ive wanted to brave this but my fear of ellies and naturally predators has held me back from doing so??

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Post subject: Re: Im Curious Hope Someone Can give me Advice On Bush Walks
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm 

No advice, just go, it is fun. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Many bush walks and wilderness trails go out everyday and there are very few incidents .. The guides are well trained and really try not to go where it would be foolish to go .We came across lion on a wilderness trail and they ran away from us same with the hyena. Even the buck hear and smell you from way off.
For Buffalo we stood very very still and they were just interested and then moved away . You must just listen to what the guides tell you to do and all is well . Never split off from the hikers on your own .
Go for it

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi

Obviously there is an element of danger in such an activity, but that is not what it is about. A walk is about experiencing nature in a much more complete way. During a walk you are no longer a spectator watching from the outside, you are actually part of the ecosystem. It is about the small things, seeing in a new way, smelling, feeling and experiencing the wonder of nature.

You are accompanied by two well trained and experienced guides who will look after your safety. Yes, they are armed ... but that is not the most important weapon. Rather knowledge and experience to avoid danger and manage any potentially dangerous situation.

Animals such as wild dog and hyena offer very little danger. Lion tend to avoid you and move away. Buffalo in big herds are usually rather placid and a nice experience. The biggest risk is in animals such as elephant, hippo out of water, any animal with young or defending food and small groups or single buffalo. Having said that any animal can be dangerous even something like an impala. That is where the guides come in.

All in all very few serious incidents happen during walks.

I can recommend a walk as one of the best experiences one can have.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

i feel safer in the bush than in any downtown area

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Imberbe for your information, tell me please if a scenario plays out where an animal attacks and isn't afraid of a gun shot or you and it still keeps coming for you would the guides then shoot the animal to kill?
If yes isn't it then cruel of us to be placing them into such danger as were the ones invading their territory and not the other way around?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

forestgump wrote:
i feel safer in the bush than in any downtown area

LOL forest so true Ive got to say the built up citys even towns have become just as dangerous these days

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hugh wrote:
Many bush walks and wilderness trails go out everyday and there are very few incidents .. The guides are well trained and really try not to go where it would be foolish to go .We came across lion on a wilderness trail and they ran away from us same with the hyena. Even the buck hear and smell you from way off.
For Buffalo we stood very very still and they were just interested and then moved away . You must just listen to what the guides tell you to do and all is well . Never split off from the hikers on your own .
Go for it

so their have been incidents? Do you know of any?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm 

Yes, there have been incidents and some animals have been shot. There have also been incidents where people were injured. I am aware of only a hand full of incidents where there have been serious injuries.

Obviously you are correct that total avoidance of any contact would be the safest and that if the people were not there, there could not be an incident.

But at the same time the fact that you are there is helping to make it possible for the animals to be there. By participating in an activity such as a walk you are bringing in an income to the park, which helps to sustain the park and the conservation activities in the park. Without it the parks will disappear in a flood of human need and greed.

Lastly, you probably have a greater probability of injuring or killing an animal while driving in the park than while walking.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm 

Sheenaugh-Lee do have a read through This Topic and also This one to give you more of an idea of what its all about. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I feel safer on a bush walk than when I turn the key in my ignition. Now that is wild and dangerous :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: not me :hmz: but the unpredictability of what is out there.

My experience of bush walks has only ever been positive, even when there has been an element of danger. The ranger's have always acted defensively and have anticipated when there might be a serious problem.

The time when I most picked up on the rangers concern was close to a hidden hippo. We had to do a very long detour. I now appreciate their intuition.

My daughter's experienced chasing wild dog. A pack was in hot pursuit of an impie. The impie ran straight towards the group and used them as a barrier to escape. The wild dogs stopped in their tracks, sniffed curiously and then "barked" at them, telling them in no uncertain terms to go away.

I have been on a number of bush walks where there have been Lion. Once, when the ranger realised it was a mother with very young cubs, he immediately stopped tracking. This kind of respect puts me at ease.

Sheenaugh Lee, it is worth every minute.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There will always be risks involved, but well worth doing. :D

I've been on quite a few in various parts of KNP - enjoyed them tremendously.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Yes, there have been incidents and some animals have been shot. There have also been incidents where people were injured. I am aware of only a hand full of incidents where there have been serious injuries.

Obviously you are correct that total avoidance of any contact would be the safest and that if the people were not there, there could not be an incident.

But at the same time the fact that you are there is helping to make it possible for the animals to be there. By participating in an activity such as a walk you are bringing in an income to the park, which helps to sustain the park and the conservation activities in the park. Without it the parks will disappear in a flood of human need and greed.

Lastly, you probably have a greater probability of injuring or killing an animal while driving in the park than while walking.

Thank you once again for the Information and I agree with you the people who do go on walks brings in money for the park But the park is also for the protection of animals, you said their has been instances where animals were shot because they wouldn't back off and thats what I find tragic and worrisome at the same time cos im all for the protection I wouldn't be able to look at myself again if an animal had to be shot to protect my life, its a horrible gamble to make

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't doubt that it is the experience of a lifetime that's for sure, lol MM Ive got say if I had been your daughter and saw a pack of wild dogs barreling down towards me I would've climbed a tree that's for sure as for an ellies well I think I would've run so fast the guides would still be looking for me lol :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Elsa wrote:
Sheenaugh-Lee do have a read through This Topic and also This one to give you more of an idea of what its all about. :thumbs_up:

Thanks Elsa I will do :)