Skip to Content

Skukuza Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
neilo

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby neilo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi all,

KNP have done some work recently on the decks overlooking the sabie river. There's a walk way, and the decks extend out, under the trees. (also a great spot for viewing green pigeon, Purple crested lourie (touracco ?) Credit where it's due. It's an excellent addition, and a great spot for an afternoon break. Well done KNP :D

Neilo.

Rooster

Unread postby Rooster » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 am

Hi All,

I am going to Skukuza next year april and staying in LR2W bungalow.
Is there a specific number that has the best view of the river maybe?
Any tips for the area would help as well because we have never been in this area of the Kruger before.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Rooster,
if you have a look at the Map you will see that they are all along the river front so any one of them would be great.
Most, if not all of the roads in the Skukuza area are good for a variety of animals and bird-life.
I like driving the S83 Marula Loop, great scenery and always a feeling something great is right around the corner.
Lake Panic is a wonderful place to spend some time relaxing at and seeing what unfolds before you.
Have a read through this Topic and I am sure you will pick up some great tips, info and advice.
Enjoy!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

klutzzn wrote:1. the pools are they both available to the guests or is it just the one by the conference centre ?

I don't know of 2 pools I'm afriad :) But there is one I know of at the border of the camping side there in Skuks which is available to all :thumbs_up:

klutzzn wrote:4. Braai facilities, our plan is to do a braai each nigh for supper. I have seen on some posts that not all have braais at the bungalows.

Every bungalow definitely has a braai :thumbs_up:

klutzzn wrote:Because we have such a short time in the park we were thinking of coming in via Malelane and getting to this gate by 10am as we can only check in at 2pm, so it will give us plenty of time to do a good trip around Asfal and up to Skukuza. I'm also worried about the road into Numbi and the other 2 gates there. As we are traveling up on the Sunday 16 Dec 2012 which is a public holiday.
Google maps is saying the distance from Fourways (Johannesburg) to Numbi is 408km at +- 4 hr 42 and to Malelane is 424km at 4h 40 so not to much difference.

I'm not sure why google maps is saying that :hmz: It is a shorter distance and time to Malalane than Numbi :thumbs_up: The road up from Nelspruit to Numbi is terrible with potholes and animals etc.
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

fee

Unread postby fee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 am

Hi
You can use either pool.
I always request unit 181 which is near the shops, and easy access to the river.
Its also not a far walk to the pool. 185 is a bit closer to the camping site and can get a little noisy at night

roo1a

Unread postby roo1a » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello Skukuza experts,
My parents and I will be visiting Skukuza for the first time in April. We are wondering which of the 3 person bungalows--BE3, BG3E, BD3--have the nicest/quietest/most beautiful location. I went a long way back through the forum to see if I could find a discussion but didn't find much! From looking at the map, I have trouble telling which would be nicer. All of the guest houses for 4 people along the river are booked our night (seems like it might have been worth it for the riverside locations). If the location is significantly nicer, we might also consider the "semi-luxury" LB3s, which I gather are also not on the river, but rather by the conference center.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi there roo1a,
I am not really a Skukuza expert but can if you have a look Here you will be able to have a look at some pics of the bungalows types you are wanting to book.
Hope you find the right one for you and your parents and have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 pm

If you have a look at the Map
you will see a few BD2E's on the left bottom, #'s 3,4,5,6
The E just means that the verandas are enclosed with a wire mesh.
Can be useful to keep the monkeys and mozzies at bay!
As far as I can see those seem to be the only ones.

I don't think there is much to choose between them.

Look Here for views of #6.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Info for Tents at Skukuza

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:20 am

Inside of one of the Skuks tents.

Out of view is the fridge and fan. We used these power points. Just take a 2 pronged adapter if you need one.

heaven, sigh.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Rooster

Unread postby Rooster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

Hi,

Just another question please.
Is there a stove in the LR2W chalets?
And does the limited DSTV mean I need to bring my own smartcard?

Thank you

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Rooster,

There's a hot plate, but no oven.

Limited DSTV means there will be only a limited selection of DSTV channels available. Not sure if your own smart card will work?? Some smart cards need to be matched with the decoder. ( hope that makes sense!!)

Enjoy your stay........ :thumbs_up:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Shikaari

Unread postby Shikaari » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm

After checking the availabilty at almost 20 times per day,finally got accomadation at skukuza in GC6 unit,NO 209 ,just wanting to know has anybody stayed in this unit recently,and what is the condition of the unit and space etc.what are the other plus factors to this unit.Have stayed in a GC6D but never in a GC6.

Mcook

Unread postby Mcook » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi Shikaari

I have stayed in almost all types of accommodation at Skukuza, from the safari tents to the guest houses and the GC6 definitely has a few good points, but it depends on what one is looking for.

The unit is located between Monis guesthouse and the GC4V units and is on the fence line, which is a major plus over the standard GC6D’s, but it almost looks like 2 x 3 bed bungalows have been joined to make the unit.

The front door faces Monis guesthouse, not the fence line and is the middle of the unit, with a small (compared to the GC6D’s) lounge open plan kitchen as you enter, with the 2 x rooms left and right of the kitchen each with 3 beds. Both rooms have their own toilet/shower/etc.

There is a concrete pathway from the front door down to a small private boma type structure (about 15m) which has a table, chairs and braai area. This is about 10m from the fence.

The unit is very close to Monis, which can be an issue if a noisy bunch has hired Monis (only had this once), but there’s no unit on the right, so one close neighbour and no neighbour.

Hope this helps

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Skukuza LR2W chalets - which one to choose

Unread postby arks » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:50 pm

I've booked an LR2W chalet for November and have a couple of questions about them. First #96 is next to something on the camp map called 'LION' -- does anyone know what that is?

Also does anyone know which of 93,94,95,96 is closest to the river? I remember many years ago, long before these rondavels were upgraded, being able to hear the river whilst falling asleep, which was magic! I'm wondering whether that is still possible or are all the new/upgraded rondavels set farther back from the riverbank to lessen the chances of flood damage.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza LR2W chalets - which one to choose

Unread postby arks » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 am

MATTHYS wrote:Arks, have a look at Gatita's photos here to see the Lion cottage and also for the view and proximity to the river. We were in #96 and I think that #95 might have been a bit nearer to the river than us.

You will also find some other photos and views from the LR2W chalets on this page.

I hope staying there in November will be another magic experience for you 8)

Thanks so much Matthys, that's all very helpful indeed. As I have little time these days for reading TRs, I hadn't seen Gatita's pix and had no idea that "lion" was a cottage!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”