Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nikon Coolpix 510 camera
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hi & Happy New Year!!, I am planning on buying a Nikon Coolpix 510 camera for my 2 week trip to the Kruger Park in May 2013. I am not an experienced photographer and I am looking for a camera that is reasonably easy to use for taking photos of animals and birds. Can anyone advise on the suitability of the Coolpix 510 for my trip? Thanks, Marion 8)

Post subject: Re: Nikon Coolpix 510 camera
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm 

Hi
I am not a professional photographer so this is my view.
I suggest the camera you are purchasing has a good optical zoom eg if its x 5 optical zoom that is for photos near to you and definitely not suitable for anything at a distance. A good optical zoom for you is
a x20 to25, or even higher for photos further away.
The mega pixels the camera should have is from 14 mega pixels upwards for good quality photos.

I have been using a Canon sx30is ( x 35 optical zoom) which has given me amazing photos and its easy to use. I have awesome videos with it too. It has many functions but if you keep it on auto you will do well.

Hope my 5c worth helps you.
I am sure there are many pros on this site who will also give you info.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm 

hi Marion,

I went though the same questions as you last year and eventually bought the Nikon coolpix P510.
It is awesome - especially for someone like me who likes wildlife pics and doesnt want to change lens, cart bags around and have too learn to much technical stuff :redface:

Even when zoomed in the clarity is fantastic and it is v easy to use and carry around.

My friends are amazed at how nice some of my photos are for someone of my level in photography and I tell them quite honestly that it is all down to the camera.

Good luck and enjoy your trip !
Scops

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm 

Hi Fee & Scops, thanks for your very positive response to my query about the Nikon Coolpix 510 camera. After much research I went out and bought one and am very pleased with the results - though still going through all the technical stuff! :redface:

So glad to hear, Scops, that you are having fantastic results from your purchase!!

Happy snapping
Marion

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 am 

Hi Marion,

I'm in the market to upgrade my very old 4Mp camera, and have seen yours and other feedback re the performance of the P510. Can I ask how you've got along with it? I'm very tempted to follow suit, but also considering the Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 600D. We're in Kruger for a week in Sept and definitely need to get something decent but not too complicated - basically, point and shoot! Also, does it have a video function?

I suspect I won't go wrong with the P510, but any comments from the boffins would be much appreciated.

cheers
Pawps

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I also treated myself to this camera, and am very pleased with it. It does have video function (as most digital cameras do these days). It is so easy to use, but will allow more complicated fiddling with settings if you want to do that.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm 

Hi Pawps, Nikon coolpix 510 - so far so good with taking photos around Perth!! We are travelling next week for 3 weeks (Biyamiti, Metsi Metsi, Satara, Talamati & Lower Sabie) and will let you know when we return how the camera fared. There is a video function. The camera is very light and the zoom is terrific. It is relatively easy to use and the booklet which we downloaded from the Nikon website is comprehensive.

We purchased our camera over the internet from Camera Paradise: http://www.cameraparadise.com. It cost AU$260 + postage and insurance $40. The camera arrived within a week, well packed - no problems.

Couldn't get the Nikon software to work on our PC (for downloading pictures) but we just use standard windows photo software and it's fine. Cheers, Marion :cam:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 am 

Many thanks, Marion and EJ, I think I'll go with the P510 and I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for the link as well. Have a wonderful 3 weeks - very envious, and looking forward to seeing all your pics when you get back. Hamba gahle!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pawps wrote:
Many thanks, Marion and EJ, I think I'll go with the P510 and I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for the link as well. Have a wonderful 3 weeks - very envious, and looking forward to seeing all your pics when you get back. Hamba gahle!

Isnt there a p520 now?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Nikon/ ... kon_cpp520