Skip to Content

Dams and Waterholes

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Any advice please , dams , waterholes ?

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Downwards form Olifants, I would like to recommend Bangu, this is a bit out of the way, but mostly if you're there you have the sightings for yourself :wink:

A better route is to take the upper part of the s39, past Goedgegun, and the Piet Grobler dam is also a very nice place :)

Some people swear by Girivanna, I don't but it's still a nice waterhole, and definitely worth a visit. N'semani dam must be the best one in the central area, but also very busy....

My personal best is Gudzani and Gudzani-east, as well as SON-OP and Sweni, they should not be missed! Never been on the s36....but once I can go MY WAY ALONE I'll take it :dance:

I'm not an Orpen dam fan, although its a nice place. I LOVE Leeupan south of Tshokwane, and Olifantdrinkgat and Mantimahle are both worth more than one visit :D N'waswitshaka (s65) is OK..provided there is water, but you do have a nice open view, a bit similar to Leeupan. Transportdam and Renosterkoppies are very productive from time to time, both are excellent dams. Lake panic....simply wonderful (but very busy lately) So is the Byamiti weir. I personally love Ampie se boorgat as well as James waterhole. Matjulu waterhole is also a must, just to see it, although there are often animals around.

Giyisenga waterhole and the s102 (rivercourse) are exceptionally beautiful and not to be missed. So is Duke's waterhole (but not in winter!) NEVER miss the s25 and the southern part of the s114, all beautiful.
As you can see, I have spend most of my time south of Letaba, and this is about to change! The dams I have left out I don't consider that good, except along the s36, where I haven't been yet. Dams around Pretorius I personally rate low..... :doh:

I'm about to go to Bateleur in December, so I'll report on that area later, and honestly can't wait!!!!!
Hope this will do :thumbs_up:

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Mestel dam

Shithave dam

Jones dam

Kumana dam, I think

Nsemani dam

My experience has been that the south is reasonably quiet in Feb. Pretorius Kop is lovely for birds and Biyamiti is lovely for everything.

I tend to love the south of the Park in summer because of the scenery and greenery. In saying that, I have never been north in winter.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

anne catherine

Unread postby anne catherine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for posting these lovely pics of dams , Meandering Mouse .

Mestel dam and Jones dams seems beautiful .
Have to go there and hope the dams will be fulled .
I think you are right ,the fourth one must be took at Kumana .

Here is one we took last February there

and an other one

I think like you the south should not be crowded at that time of the year :)
Have until next march to decide , but as you know, if you want to have tents with river view at Lower-sabie it's better to reserve quickly :thumbs_up:
Like to stay in the tents there even if it is too hot inside : better to be driving the car with air con in the afternoon and have lions sightings for you alone :dance:

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: What are your favorite waterholes?

Unread postby normana53 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:55 am

On our last trip to Kruger a couple of years ago, we spent a couple of hours at Mpondo, watching a large herd of ellies as they moved through the area, as they left a lone bull came over the dam and down to the water and proceeded to go swimming, diving completely under water multiple times. he would be completely submerged except the end of his trunk, then he would come to the surface with such force as to almost come out of the water. He played and played for wall over a half hour, then got back out and headed off into the trees. We also saw a large troop of Baboon, Rhino, Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala and lots of birds. Only two other vehicles appeared in the entire time we were there. It just goes to show that timing is everything.

We also love Lake Panic, Sunset Dam, Leeupan and Silolweni
Flight Booked,Tamboti, Talamati, Satara and Olifants Trail Booked, can't wait for November 5/11- 18/11

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: What are your favorite waterholes?

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

There is something so enchanting and pleasant about Leeupan.
It is perhaps the lillys and pretty flowers that paint a picture of a little Eden not far off of a busy road!

Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Dams in Kruger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

In your opinion which of the larger dams in Kruger provides the best opportunities for seeing animals and for photography?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

gerharddb
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Dams in Kruger

Unread postby gerharddb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Sunset by Lower Sabie without a doubt for me...
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Philip1
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Grantmissy wrote:..........for seeing animals and for photography?

:hmz: SUNSET :great:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby johanrebel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 pm

But Sunsset is hardly one of the larger dams though, is it now?. It is tiny! On the other hand, large is not beautiful in this instance. Smaller dams are much better, as the game will be concentrated in a smaller area, and more likely to be within camera range.

Johan

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 am

I guess Sunset Dam is not a large dam as you said Johan but I guess it is the preferred Dam in the Park by many to see animals and do photography. I was also thinking about Pionier Dam but although it is big and very scenic it is probably not always so productive in terms of animals. But I guess it is a matter of personal opinion what is considered as “productive” in terms of seeing animals. Thanks :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

Nsemani Dam is my fave dam.
Can be a bit far for photography, but i have had some good sightings there.

Sunset Dam is good too.

garrow

Unread postby garrow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 am

I would say Nsemani dam on the Orpen tar road. Have seen nice prides of lion drinking water at the dam on regular ocassions. Large herds of elephant coming down to drink and swim in the dam, large herds of buffalo, zebra widebeest,waterbuck,etc. Have never seen lion drink at Sunset Dam or seen Elephant swimming in that dam and have probably spent a lot more time at Sunset than any other dam. Sunset is very good for Hippos,crocs and water birds.

cheetah2111
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

For birding and beauty - Lake Panic

For big 5 sightings and animal traffic - Nsemani, the one with the long name North of Croc Bridge, Sable Dam

For solitude - Engelhard, Kannidood

8)
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Dams and Waterholes

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 am

After all the good rain that Kruger has received recently the dams must be quite full. I cannot wait to visit Kruger in May. April holidays visitors will most probably find a lush and green Kruger with plenty of water in the veldt for the animals.

Gunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!

Re: Dams and Waterholes

Unread postby Gunner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 am

@ Nsemani Dam...March 2014

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”