Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lions Attacking Cars in the kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm 

I agree, they just can't help themselves, it's pure instinct, if you run they will chase you.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm 

Seems like a couple of teenagers having fun.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:07 am 
Guru
Guru

Great video clip.

I’m of the opinion that these two young males are just very inquisitive and love playing around with the vehicles, I do not think they intend any serious harm to the vehicles or the people, however I have copied the link and forwarded it to the respective managers and section rangers for their comments.

KG

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am 

Hi Everyone! I have managed to locate the footage taken from inside the car.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am 
Guru
Guru

Herewith the reply of the Twee Rivieren Section ranger.

"As Section Ranger I regularly encounter lions in the Park, and I have also experienced a lion attack on my vehicle. From what I can see in this video, the two males are still quite young lions and according to their reactions there was no aggression involved, but rather an urge to play with a moving object (the vehicle). This was the first report we received for this type of lion behaviour in the Twee Rivieren Section. The lions were running at half pace, unlike lions in attack mood, in which case they would zoom in on a vehicle and run towards it at full speed. Lions are known to attack animals running past them, although they are sometimes not even hungry, but they are not stupid and would have recognised the moving object in the video as a vehicle and not a prey animal. The lions also gave up their “chase” very soon, which further indicate to me they were not serious.

Because we as humans cannot read animals’ minds though, it will still be advisable to always be vigilant in the presence of predators by watching all their movements and reactions, and even to get out of the way of lions “playing” like the ones in this video, as that could prevent damage to a vehicle in the form of scratches or bite marks. Even a playing lion can cause damage to modern-day soft bodied vehicles."

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 am 

Very interesting, and informative. Thanks for the video ATC, and the feedback KG and the Section Ranger.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We found that if you gave the engine a quick rev and pulled away it gave them a bit of a fright and they stopped ... only to come back and try again .... we just kept a good eye on them and didnt let them get too close after that ....Definately just curious and playing, not at all agressive or in any way serious .... Listening to the video, it sounded like there were children in the car with you or am I imagining things :D

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:thumbs_up: is exactly like a cat... domestic cat in the house with... fly or bee :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 pm 

:hmz: Due to visit again shortly. This is something I will not be sharing with the other half before departure!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oh I agree Surfer - there are things that one does NOT share with those of a nervous disposition .... things like
" oh look, KG posted a photo of the lion that walked into camp at TR .... and by the way, did I tell you, our tent doesn't close anymore ..." :twisted:

Some things are better left unsaid ... :whistle: And by the way, be careful of the hyenas at Urikaruus - they like to take chunks out of your car as well and also like to give chase ...

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
and at KTP too... :lol: ask Caracal :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have another concern I would like to mention :x

We have been visiting KTP every year in October, since 2010, and we have noticed the following, which may be pertinent regarding the lions 'playfully romping after the vehicles'.

In our first visit we were on the Mata Mata raod when we saw a bakkie with the canopy back window opened up and about 4 children in the bakkie section. :big_eyes:

One of the children was hanging out and 'dragging' what seemed like crumpled up paper on a long string. :twisted:

We thought this was silly and would act as a 'lure' if any animal (especially a cat) was in the vicinity :wall:

The bakkie passed us again 'towing' the string. :naughty:

After a while, we turned around to return to our camp and a bit later we rounded a corner to see the bakkie stopped in the middle of the road, one of the children running back to the bakkie (obviously after retrieving the string that was accidentally dropped) and jumping in the back (I have a :cam: of this). The bakkie took off before we could get near to them. :naughty: :naughty:

I wonder if these lions have not enountered this type of situation before, maybe as cubs, and therefore trot after a vehicle looking for the 'lure' :hmz:

10-17 October 2014 - Kgalagadi
10/11 Oct - Urikaruus
12 Oct - Nossob
13/15 Oct - Urikaruus
16/17 Oct - Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 am 

No that is very very naughty :naughty: :naughty:

I do think lions may react to something that they learned or experienced as cubs...they probably think it’s a toy!!

I wonder if they don’t react to something (like a car) when it gets a nuisance ....while they were building the road at Rooiputs we were driving on the Botswana section of the road and watching 2 females and one male lion enjoying the morning sun...when one of the "building bakkies" drove past....the 1 female got up and chased it for 10m like she was trying to keep it away from them...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm 

Gaan kyk na hierdie storie vir interessantheid!

http://www.africa-pictures.org/blog/etosha/

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 pm 

Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Herewith the reply of the Twee Rivieren Section ranger.

"As Section Ranger I regularly encounter lions in the Park, and I have also experienced a lion attack on my vehicle. From what I can see in this video, the two males are still quite young lions and according to their reactions there was no aggression involved, but rather an urge to play with a moving object (the vehicle). This was the first report we received for this type of lion behaviour in the Twee Rivieren Section. The lions were running at half pace, unlike lions in attack mood, in which case they would zoom in on a vehicle and run towards it at full speed. Lions are known to attack animals running past them, although they are sometimes not even hungry, but they are not stupid and would have recognised the moving object in the video as a vehicle and not a prey animal. The lions also gave up their “chase” very soon, which further indicate to me they were not serious.

Because we as humans cannot read animals’ minds though, it will still be advisable to always be vigilant in the presence of predators by watching all their movements and reactions, and even to get out of the way of lions “playing” like the ones in this video, as that could prevent damage to a vehicle in the form of scratches or bite marks. Even a playing lion can cause damage to modern-day soft bodied vehicles."

Just wondering :hmz: if they would want to play with bicycles too, and what if they get too playful :hmz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next