Side-striped Jackal

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Side-striped Jackal

Unread postby gmlsmit » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Agreed that is why is is called a 'Witkwasjakkals' in Afrikaans.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Well , very interesting :) Thank you all :thumbs_up:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

cptphotographer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!

Unread postby cptphotographer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Definitely not the best of pics, light was terrible, but then again I have always struggled to get a half decent pic of a Side Striped Jackal, spotted this one on a very cloudy gloomy day, in fact there were 2 of them, not far from Skukuza on the S21.

"My GOD is a GOD to be a friend of, not a GOD to be afraid of." Dr. Dwight Nelson
My photographic memories http://www.sweni.co.za/photography/

PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mammal ID Needed?

Unread postby PietSkiet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me to identify this Jackal. We saw him on the H1-2 just north of the H12 turn-off. He looked to be larger than a black backed jackal but was very light in colour and I believe the side striped jackal is quite dark. I know the pictures is not the best.
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tom124 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:07 pm

It's hard to tell, PietSkiet, given the body is obscured by grass. But it does look like a side-striped jackal to me :D
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

Philip1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm

:yaya: PietSkiet, i tend to agree with Tom124 on this one. If you look carefully at ears of the Side-striped Jackal, on a bigger pic, it resemble the one in your Pic. :thumbs_up:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Until 2011 I didn't know any other than the Black-backed jackal in the Kruger. However late in the afternoon in early December, we had just turned off the tarred road heading north onto the S144 (Tropic af Capricorn loop) when a jackal type animal ran across the road. It obviously wasn't a Black-backed jackal and we thought it was possibly a domestic dog which had somehow entered the park. Talking with other people we came to the conclusion it must have been a Side-striped jackal. It moved so quickly I wasn't able to get a photograph. Reading the forum I noted that they been seen in that area so thought it was just a lucky sighting.

In early December last we were at Timbavati picnic area talking with some people who said that they had just seen a Side-striped jackal on their way down from Balule, so I told them they were very lucky to see one. We left and headed back to Satara and just before we reached the camp what I believe was a Side-striped jackal ran across the road in front of us, but again I was unable to take a photograph, so can't be certain.

Later we were staying at Berg-en-Dal and had just left the camp on our last day in the park and were feeling a bit miserable. We were heading towards the main road when a jackal ran across the road just before the turning to Malelane camp. I thought that it was a Side-striped, but wasn't certain, however this time I did manage to take a couple of photographs of the animal although it was about 5:30 and still fairly dark - hence the poor quality of the images. On our return home I checked with the forum and realised that the key ID pointer was the colour of the tip of the tail and how pleased I was when checking my photographs that it was indeed WHITE.

Perhaps they are more widespread than I thought, but just difficult to see and photograph.

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Always nice to see the SSJ, Bond. The white tip to the tail is indeed a diagnostic ID-factor, but sometimes the tail tip gets grubby, making things a little more tricky. However, the faces are very different as well - the SSJ has a broader, more wolf-like visage, while the BBJ's face is fox-like. The stripe down the side is not always obvious and I have seen BBJs with confusing side-stripe-like markings. Your pic is indeed of a SSJ. They are certainly around and I have seen them more often in recent years; however, they are certainly more furtive than their black-backed cousins, and tend to run soon after spotting one, making photography more difficult.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Garyd73 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 pm

I saw this on the night drive when we were returning to Olifants at Easter, we were less than 10 minutes form the gate and judging by the white tip on the tail I think it might be a SSJ. My camera isn't very good at nights pictures sorry but this was just about the only one that came out ok.

KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:09 am

Great sighting! :clap:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Return to “Mammals”