Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's up at Karoo National Park ?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Len

Living very near to Karoo Nat Park and I can say is that the Park is very green and full of grass after good rains this summer. Lots of little ones everywhere.

All the roads are in good condition. The lions are not a regular sighting but the Park is so big and not many roads to travel. Buffaloes have been moved to another Park, not sure where. Rhinos are spotted once in a while. Lots of kudu, gemsbuck and other game will keep you busy. There is a very beautiful and shaded picnicspot on the Klipspringer road.

Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).

But come and have a look yourself :thumbs_up:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

MJ wrote:
i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.:clap:

Thanks friend Martie :D I'll pass your compliments on.

Leanawel wrote:
Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).Leana

Leana, that's the Embizweni Cottage you are talking about which is on the Nuweveld 4x4 loop. It has a wonderful view, sleeps 6 people and is just the place to get away from EVERYTHING! The details of how to make a booking (via the Park reception) are on the Park's Activity page the web.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Thanks Addo Elephant - for that info on Embizweni Cottage and for reminding me that it is on the Nuweveld 4X4 :redface: :redface:

Leana

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm 
Guru
Guru

No problem Leana, thanks for mentioning the cottage _ I don't think many forumites have discovered it yet :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was privileged to see the two lionesses and the 4 cubs shortly after they were released in the park. They made a kill (zebra) in sight from the restaurant. I also had the luck to find rhino on two occasions. We'll be in the park again for 4 nights early May.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

[
MJ wrote:
The accommodation was outstanding clean and neat. Even the restaurant was extremely friendly, clean and the food was something to look forward to.

MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 am 

I thought that there was a sort of an agreement not to mention any rhino sightings at any parks, but I do see it cropping up now and again.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm 
Guru
Guru

Grantmissy wrote:
[MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Thanks for those compliments, Grantmissy. I'll make sure they are passed on to the staff in the Park :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 pm 

lion queen wrote:
You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:

You don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know where the rhino's are located as mentioned in this post. I rather not read about or see picture of rhino's in any post untill poaching has been brought under control.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Are we not pulling the pond from underneath the duck now?

Anybody who goes to Karoo, Mokala or whichever National Park, normally gets a brochure or pamphlet on which all major mammals occurring in the relevant park is mentioned. Thus, it is fairly general knowledge that specific mammals can be found in that park. In Kruger you are even informed in the information booklet where (in which eco-zones) you can find certain mammals.

In Mokala they will not tell you where (in the park) you can find the rhinos. They are not allowed to tell the tourists. But it is mentioned on their pamphlet that both black and white rhinos occur in the park.

And when I am lucky to see one - am I not allowed to share my excitement to other nature lovers too???

I mentioned in a previous post (under another thread) where I have seen rhinos in Karoo. I was asked by Megan Taplin not to mention their location. I removed the location from my post. But practically about everybody (interested in our National Parks) knows that rhinos occur in Karoo.

I wonder what percentage of visitors to the park has seen lions and rhino. Can't you "brag" a little bit if you were one of the few lucky ones?

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:46 pm 

I agree with Stoffel.

We are regulars at Karoo (have been there 4 weeks ago and will be there again within two weeks). Despite being regulars to Karoo, not being Sherlock Homes and taking Stoffel's "rhino information" into account, we have never been privileged to see lion, buffalo or rhino in Karoo !

I therefore cannot see Stoffel's post doing any harm.

Len

Post subject: Re: Predator-proof fence extended in Karoo National Park
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:17 pm 

Quote:
A visitor in a sedan can cover all existing roads in the park within a few hours, have a lovely picnic at 2 sites, and swim at one of them. You can then enjoy walking, strolling around the new enlarged predator-proof fence, sit at the bird hide and watch a lonely shell duck or a few bishop birds, and then repeat the same again in the afternoon... and then?

Friedrich, I totally agree with your statements. We've stayed in KaNP for 3 nights - which was at least one too much. Even the night drive was dull. We saw more nocturnal creatures back on our way from the Jeep to our chalet. :hmz:

What we really did not like was that herbizides were sprayed around our house and that a red roman was smashed in the restaurant by an employee.

imho: a park which could perform better...

@Fay: could you please explain why the "predator-proof fence" needs to be that annoying? At the camp gates you use serveral wires which are spanned across the road. Aren't they predator-proof too?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

mh_baer wrote:
We've stayed in KaNP for 3 nights - which was at least one too much. Even the night drive was dull.

imho: a park which could perform better...

My longest stay was 13 nights - and I could not get enough of the park. Was there again for 10 nights during September 2012 - and loved every moment of it. I think it depends on what you want to experience. I go to Karoo for the absolute tranquility of the place. If I want to see plenty big game or experience the excitement of a night drive, I go to Kruger or Kgalagadi.

In my personal opinion Karoo is one of the best managed national parks in South Africa.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm 

You're right - it all depends on what you expect. From Kleinmond you may drive to KaNP every weekend. I totally understand that you enjoy the tranquility and envy you of that possibility (btw: the camp wasn't quiet at all, but we didn't expect that in the holiday season).

Visitors who have to plan in advance because they have longer journeys need to rely on the information that's posted on the SANParks-Website http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/karoo/

Quote:
The Karoo National Park has a wide variety of endemic wildlife. Many species have been relocated to their former ranges - such as black rhino and buffalo, as well as Cape mountain zebra.

I hope I don't get misunderstood. We're not the Big5-types. We didn't expect to see lions etc. Our highlight in the park was the birdhide, which is excellent. And the hares that visited our chalet and unfortunately ate the plants that were sprayed with herbizides. :slap:

To end with a positive aspect: the gate guards were the friendliest we've met. :gflower:

Quote:
If I want to see plenty big game or experience the excitement of a night drive, I go to Kruger or Kgalagadi.

Our best night drive ever was in Mokala - two years ago, with Nanti. No lions, leopards, cheetahs, hyenas - but nevertheless wonderful. The quality of a drive does not primarily depend on the animals you see, the commitment of the guide is more important to us. :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next