Skip to Content

Mongoose, White tailed

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mongoose, White tailed

Unread postby christo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:28 pm

I very seldom hear anybody mention anything about this little fellows.

I only had 2 sightings of them, one on the Talamati dirtroad and the second a group of 5 wandering around in Satara at night.

Any sightings recently?
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby restio » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:55 pm

I've seen them often at night around the Orpen area (in land adjoining KNP, and managed as part of it). So I would expect them to be common at night around Orpen as well. I've never seen them in the daytime - they seem quite strongly nocturnal.

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:51 am

Jose wrote:No personal sightings for me recently but one (of your group of 5?) made an appearance on the Satara webcam recently. Pic posted

That was a great pic of the W/T Mongoose, on the webcam.
Thanks for posting Jose. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!

Unread postby cptphotographer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:52 pm

We saw one in February/March 2004. VERY early one morning on the tarr road close to Satara on our way to Orpen.

Unread postby Eric-Carol » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:44 pm

We saw one recently on a night drive at the intersection of the H4-2 and the S130. This was on the 15 August 2006. The guide informed us that she sees white tailed mongoose at this spot regularly.

White-tailed Mongoose

Unread postby Richprins » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 pm

This is our biggest mongoose, if not in the world!

I have only seen one as roadkill outside Orpen Gate. However, the funny thing is that they are very common in Nelspruit, a city 60km from Kruger as the crow flies!

They are strictly nocturnal but venture out promptly after sunset and are extraordinally accustomed to humans, living in storm-water drains and appearing to rely on their omnivorous diet to survive and breed quite happily.

Some are really big - Alsatian dog size, and can give one quite a shock. (Example, having just finished marking a school athletics track and seeing two come to inspect your work under the floodlights!)

Unread postby Jen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:25 pm

There was one resident at Skukuza camp site for many years but have not seen one since about 2004.
Have seen in private reserves adjoining KNP so they are around!

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Caracal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:30 pm

We saw one on our night drive from Byamiti in June last year. Our guide was very excited so I then realised that this was not an every day I got excited too. :D :D

Unread postby wilmaw » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Just saw 2 tonight! At our house! Barberton. I have heard of a sighting just outside town but didn't expect to find them here in the residential area.

They were inside our gate but left the yard as my husband went outside; didn't appear frightened though... look used to humans.

Unread postby vos » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:20 am

Saw 3 in separate sightings on the tar road to Berg-en-Dal on a night drive with Lourens on the 8th Sept. Our first sighting of this animal and Lourens has never seen so many on a drive. Could hardly contain him, his enthusiasm is contagious.

KNP Spokesman

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone

One of my favourites. There is a pair that lurks near the Papenfus Clock Tower in Skukuza just about every time I've driven there. After the leopard incident, I thought they would hightail it out of there but I saw them quite recently again.

There are also quite a few in the Skukuza Staff Village, one on the road past the nursery and another one is "religiously" found near the church. I can only assume he is very well behaved.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park
110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Mongoose, White tailed

Unread postby Tom124 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi all!

White-tailed mongoose was seen 1 TIME today at ORPEN cam!
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

White Tailed Mongoose.

Unread postby gmlsmit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 am

The white-tailed mongoose (Ichneumia albicauda) is the largest species of mongoose.

It is found in most of Africa south of the Sahara, and the southern portion of the Arabian Peninsula.

They live in a wide range of habitats, from semi-desert to savanna woodland, but avoid moist areas, or extremely arid areas. They prefer areas of thick cover, such as the edges of forests and brushy streams.
Ichneumia albicauda is primarily nocturnal and terrestrial. By day they will rest in an abandoned burrow, termite mound, or in cavities under tree roots.

They are, for the most part, solitary creatures, with the male and female only coming together to mate.
Their legs are relatively long for a mongoose. The head is very long and narrow and tapers to a point. Its large, rounded ears are set low on the sides of the head. It has a yellow to tan coloration on its body, with long black guard hairs, giving it an overall grizzled grey appearance. The legs and arms are black from the elbow/knee down. The base of the large, bushy tail is brownish yellow, and is white on the latter half.

The white-tailed mongoose feeds mostly on insects, but will feed on a wide variety of other foods as well. Locusts, beetles, and mole crickets make up the majority of their diet. Rats, mice, shrews, lizards, snakes, small birds are also eaten, along with the occasional fruits and berries. The eggs of birds are also eaten. They will break open the egg by throwing it between its hind legs against a rock or other hard object, similar to other species of mongoose

Knowledge of the reproduction of the white tailed mongoose is incomplete. Litters are seen most frequently from February to May, and no young appear at all during the dry season from August to November, which suggests that they only breed once a year.

The young are fully weaned at nine months of age, and around this time, the young disperse. It is speculated that sexual maturity is reached before two years of age, and that the gestation period is around 60 days.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: White Tailed Mongoose.

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

I have seen 3 in all my visits to Kruger. One on a night drive north of Lower Sabie. And two now recently on a nightdrive during the BBW near Satara.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Re: Mongoose, White tailed

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm

I have had one sighting on white tailed mongoose :D
It was with Heksie behind the wheel driving through Paul Kruger Gate at gate opening on a rainy morning in March 2011 8)
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Return to “Mammals”