Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your DSLR and iPad
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 am 

Hi all,

Really hoping that you can help me out here

My annual Kruger park trip is coming up and on previous occasions I had the habit of carrying my laptop with me on holiday. It's the highlight of my day to go sit down at the bar in Satara just after gate closing time, have an ice cold beer and copy the day's pictures onto my laptop for review (over another ice cold beer). This ritual serves as a backup firstly as I now have a copy of my pictures for in case my camera is stolen/lost or the memory card crashes. Secondly, I really enjoy viewing the day's pictures on a proper screen to see if settings worked out and make mental notes for the next day.

I've seen a lot guys (or girls) do this sort of thing using their iPads. I decided that I don't want to mission around with my laptop this year and would also rather use my iPad for this purpose. I just don't know how.

I have a Canon 60D and 3rd generation iPad running the latest iOS software.

Please help me get this right before I go!!

Thanks a mil!

Post subject: Re: Your DSLR and iPad
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:52 am 

Hi

I asked the same question and never really got a satisfactory reply. I checked out several other photo forums,
dpreview.com being one of them and the ipad does not get very good reviews from serious photographers.

Like you I normally carry a Windows PC plus an additional external hardrive for backing up my images, and I know that an ipad will not support an external drive, according to the guys at an Apple istore. There also appears to be issues around moving images to and from a PC. I shoot RAW most of the time and that requires an app from the istore.

Maybe if you have a MAC notebook things are easier but I have a PC and do not want to pay the high price for a MAC and the cost of new software, I use CS and Lightrrom.

i guess the best idea is to take a CF or SD card plus your notebook to an Apple stors and check out the ipad delivers what you need.

Maybe someone who uses an ipad can comment.

Jim

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm 

I myself have and ipad the firts one and im not sure bout thr ipad 3 but the only way i can load photos onto my ipad is by using a laptop there is no room for a memory card or any other plug in. Maybe u can buy that im not sure better u ask the ipad experts at apple store! I LOVE my ipad and carry it every where with me but it does not double as a laptop.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As far as I know there is apparently a connection piece which fits a usb and lets you dumb images directly onto your Ipad

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/ipad-no ... dslr/13045

but its not very good apparently, havent heard of any good reviews

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:24 pm 

I have an iPad 1 and my hubby has a iPad 2 and we have the iPad camera connection kit and our favorite thing to do is upload our pics from our Cannon 600D SD cards every night directly to one of our iPads and then sit and go thru the images once the kids are in bed. I can take 500 pics a day so it can take anywhere from 20min to and hour to get the images uploaded but it's worth it and we love it.

Wonderful quite time before bed for hubby and I and nothing like reviewing the days sightings.

Not sure where you can get the connection piece in SA cause we got ours in the UK but if you can find it it's worth the money it cost. Only downside is by the end of a few days I start having to delete apps and movies from my iPad to make space for my pics. Lol

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:hmz: it seems to me that the I pad (2) resize automaticaly the pictures... :?
better to have a lap top + external hard drive as already mentionned :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 am 

Thanks all,

I got my connection kit working for the first time last night. Didn't do anything different. It seems to detect the camera once every five to ten times I plug it in!

I suspect the connector itself isn't great and you have to really plug it into the iPad perfectly. Only thing I can think of....

When it does work though, it works well. I transferred 730 images (just under 7GB) in about 10 minutes which I thought was rather quick. I haven't compared image size between camera and iPad yet but it doesn't seem as if the images are resized at all. I will confirm this later today though.

So what's the plan now? I don't know. I don't want to sit in KNP with a connector that works 10% of the time. Think I will test another connection kit or look into an eye-fi card.

More comments welcome

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am 

For the past 3 years I have left my laptop at home and only take my iPad, I shoot with a Canon 1D Mk4 and shoot everything in RAW and have never had an issue putting my days shooting onto my iPad, the RAW files are transfered to the iPad and a JPEG file is automatically and seamlessly created for viewing your images on the iPad, when I get home a simple sync with my computer transfers all the original RAW files to my computer.... however there is only one way that I know of that it can be done and thats with this device.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:02 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
thank you :D
I think now I know why I lose some kg... I transfer pictures on my Ipad from my PC... and maybe is here... it resize them :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am 

Shutterbug,
Do you reformat your CF cards after you dump to your ipad, or do you have a zillion cards and use them as back ups? Or are the pix on your ipad the only copies???

I am so afraid of losing something that I have numerous backups. I do wonder if it is worth it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:
Shutterbug,
Do you reformat your CF cards after you dump to your ipad, or do you have a zillion cards and use them as back ups? Or are the pix on your ipad the only copies???

I am so afraid of losing something that I have numerous backups. I do wonder if it is worth it.

i back up my back ups

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 pm 

timbo wrote:
i back up my back ups

Me too! Last trip I took computer and external harddrive and made 2 copies every night. Then there were a few times that I did not erase the memory card...back up of back up of back up!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 pm 

Hi ILM,
At the end of each day I dump everything onto my iPad then I quickly skim through the days shooting on my camera and delete the pics I dont want to keep, I only have about 1500 keepers after a two week trip so I end up with a backup of about 2000 pics on my iPad and 1500 good shots on my cards, I can fit all of these on two cards.
My camera also takes two cards and I save to both cards at the same time :shock: I know thats an overkill but its all digital and so the extra backup doesn't cost anything, my second card I dont even look at and as soon as I get my pics on my home computer (and backed up again with a remote external HD :D) I wipe all the cards.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 pm 

I didn't realize that your camera could take 2 cards! That is amazing. Mine (7D) won't do that.

I am trying to figure out exactly what to take on the next trip. By the time I have 2 bodies, 100-400 lens, another lens or 2, batteries, chargers, cards, binoculars, computer, ipad, external drive and case, and the malaria meds, I have MORE than used up my carry-on capacity. I live in fear that I will have to check in my camera case.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
when I come back, in September, I have to take a picture with each of my cameras at the German's customs :shock: :shock:
and all put on the table :shock: