Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the response OWN and Saraf. I have no problem myself with the website. When I come, I will test drive the latest meds beforehand and then do all possible to prevent being bitten, with the latest for the room and with repellent on me.

In the past I have used meds and never had any side effects. Last time I visited it was in the Sabi Sands during February, although as we have read here, some people have pretty unpleasant side effects.

Post subject: Ultrasound mosquito repellents: Zapping the myth
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 am 

This important report stating that electronic mozzie repellents dont work has just been published by the BBC news site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20669080

So keep spraying & smearing

Post subject: Re: Ultrasound mosquito repellents: Zapping the myth
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Exbrakpanite, what a useful article :thumbs_up:

thanks so much for posting.

We see so many products on the market claiming to repel mozzies. A false sense of security could lead to death in certain areas.

Very, very pertinent.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 am 

Thank you. I spend many hours searching for items on natural history, animal physiology, human health, & photography that I can use on our website & my blog.

But some are of such general importance that I will post directly on these forums, as the one above.

Meandering mouse there are many advance being made in protection against malaria e.g. permanently impregnated clothing from craghoppers & longer lasting Deet lotion from 3M. I have no commercial link to any of these firms. We are just "old age adventurers" who spend 4-6 of our lives in the African bush photographing wild life and trying to solve travel problems. But I do think experts on the forum should update the now very old Malaria prevention advice i.e.last updated 2008.

I did suggest this before & didnt agree with the replies. The above is another reason why revision of the sticky is needed before this post disappears into the mist. Our own approach to prevent malaria, is discussed on our site
http://www.africaraw.com/Triptips/Trip-tips/21666409_Dp9Xv3/

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:49 pm 

Hi, I tried searching and reading, but it is to much to siff.

Going to Mopani in June. Is it a high risk malaria area in winter or should malaria be treated the same all year round?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The risk in winter is lower. The mozzies don't like the cold.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As the saying goes: "prevention are better than the cure". Although it is a low risk time of the year, I would take the necessary precaution.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Exbrakpanite, as malaria is a subject spanning expansive amounts of information and opinionated variations, there have been, over time, some "experts" who have offered strange - and sometimes inappropriate or downright uninformed - advice on malaria websites and threads. It must be remembered that people can die by being led into directions not scientifically backed up by evidence; therefore, malaria advice, as you have noted, needs to be sound and from an informed source. There are actually some health-professionals who do not have sufficient knowledge or are not up-to-date enough to advise fully on malaria - especially when involving complicated cases, such as certain immune-lowering diseases; pregnancy; young children; and the like. However, in my personal experience, most of the health-professionals that I have come into contact with do, at least, get the important basics right. Those who live in high-risk malaria areas obviously are generally more informed and geared-up to diagnose and take actions against malaria when it does occur. However, as you have aptly noted, it is up to the traveller to be vigilant and act on suspicious symptoms and signs. (It goes without saying that no doctor can test for and treat malaria if a person with the disease does not contact her or him.)

Having said all of that, I must tell you that I combed slowly and thoroughly through the information on your website, and I must applaud you for posting, in my opinion, pertinent and accurate information, backed up by appropriate sources. You have taken time to research the topic at hand and, although of course by no means thoroughly covering every aspect of the disease - which requires a full volume of expert and sound scientific research and knowledge - people can learn from what you have posted. However, people are encouraged always to consult experienced and knowledgeable helath-professional experts to better their chances of making an even more informed choice when travelling to designated malaria areas.

There is only one thing I would like to expand on from what you have said: malaria-carrying mosquitoes do not only bite at dusk and dawn, but ALL NIGHT LONG, beginning from about a half-hour before dusk to a half-hour after dawn. However, their peak biting frequency is generally until about midnight, with an increase again approaching dawn. Frequency of biting does however depend on other factors - such as number of mosquitoes in a certain location, season (more important in seasonal-risk malaria areas), weather conditions, clothing coverage, colours of clothing worn, and the propensity of the person to be bitten (some people simply are more attractive to mosquitoes than others (such as moi)).

I, in fact, read the whole website and was highly entertained by your style, anecdotes, and comments. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Perhaps one day we may be lucky enough to "bump" into you both in some remote destination on this most wonderful of continents. :pray: :D :D

Disclaimer: My recommendations here - though based on some experience and some drug knowledge - are not absolute, and further consultation with suitable health-care professionals is suggested before a final decision is taken on whether to enter a malarial area, what prophylaxis to use, and any general factors and limitations that need to be taken into account. Furthermore, I only advise based on what information is given by the person(s) entering the malarial area, but I have no control on the information given to me, and so such information could possibly be incomplete or misleading.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Malaria around Shingwedzi and further north.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

We are heading for the northern part of Kruger in the beginning of July. We never used to take Malaria prophylaxis when going to Kruger in the winter months, but this time round I think it is necessary for a few reasons. However I would like informed opinions and advice from other forumites please:

1. We plan to enter the Park at Orpen but then move north to Tsendze (camping), Shingwedzi (chalet - providing or accommodation is ready. Planned re-opening for our chalet is end of June!) . We exit via Pafuri and then end up at Mapungubwe (camping). After all the flooding, I recon these areas will have much more stagnant water than normal and for longer periods than usual. Am I right in saying that this will make the Malaria problem worse and possibly reach into the winter months, or does the lower temperatures rule that possibility out?

2. We will have our 6 year old son with us - he is my biggest concern. I did some research and it seems like Mefloquine is the best chemo-prophylaxis for young kids. It is taken orally once a week, where Doxycycline is taken daily. The latter is a nogo for kids in any way. Not sure about the other main contender i.e Atovaquone - proguanil. Is there anything better on the market I am not aware of?

I found the government department of health doc @ http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/policy/2011/malaria_prevention.pdf very informative but it obviously addresses the Malaria issue in general only, I just hope someone has more current and region specific information. thanks.

Post subject: Re: Malaria around Shingwedzi and further north.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Posting your questions on this thread could also be usefull :

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=530&start=1230

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 am 

I have had time share the last week in May at Ngwenya lodge for the last 13 years. My chalet is right on the bank of the Crocodile river and looks into the Kruger Park, as the crow flies my chalet is .75 of a km from the Hippo pools at Crocodile Bridge. At this time of the year the Crocodile River still has quite a bit of water in it and in the last 13 years that I have been visiting Ngwenya I have never even seen or heard a mosquito when on holiday at this time. We go into the Kruger daily virtually for the whole day and have never experienced mosquito problems in the park itself at this time. Even though the Kruger is still relatively warm the last week in May I think the cold period which sets in from about 2100 till 0700 in the morning is what keeps them away from this area at his time and through the winter till the summer rains start again in October November

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks ndloti, garrow. @garrow my concern is the most northern part of the Park - more than 300km north from where you are - with higher average day temperatures. My question is also related to the recent floods in that area specifcally.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Much of the advice is lengthly and ambiguous . I believe the malaria risk is over emphasised in the areas you are visiting in order to protect those offering advice .
The way I understand it is the human being is the vector who hosts the malaria parasite in which it multiplies , and thus the mosquito must transfer infected blood from one infected person to the next , thus the fewer people around the less the chance on average of contracting malaria due to the low human population densities in those areas. Northern KZN is perhaps an example to illustrate this (?) , though temperatures & the flatness of the terrain with many wetlands probably play a large role . Sanparks apparently also sprays likely mosquito areas within the camps where most visitors are at dusk when mosquitoes are most active .
It seems the experts most regularly advise to take evasive action and also to apply repellant .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

Also on our way to KNP, but in summer...so malaria is an even greater risk.
We have previously taken, and will again be taking Malarone (I think it is Malanil in South Africa), the Atovaquone - proguanil tablets. From what I have read, it is the most recommended prophylaxis. I wouldn't go without it - no matter which area or which time of year, especially for children.

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21 pm 

Malaria medication is very much a personal issue. Not just whether or not to take it but also which tablets to take. It is essential that you consult a medical practitioner who knows your individual medical history. None of the available prophylactics available are free from side effects and some people with particular medical history should avoid some of them.

For example my SO and I cannot take the same ones as we react to them, what works for him doesn't for me and vice versa.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next