SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kruger Animals and Kruger Visitors
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When we visit Kruger there are certain risks involved.. Although not many, but there are incidents involving conflict between humans and animals. Some of the rules are written down but there are also instances where a person has to use common sense and sometimes I have seen that some visitors do not have “bush common sense” if a person can call it that. Obvious things like not to feed animals as they can become aggressive and attack you, not getting too close to elephants and so forth are sometimes still ignored and I think some visitors just would not know how to behave when animal vs human conflict or incident occurs even when the visitor has not done anything wrong to provoke an animal. For example recently an African Python has snuggled up in the engine of a tourist car – how many visitors would know what to do when something like that happens, even though there is a very slim chance that it would happen? In general I think Kruger visitors should remain very ‘humble’ in terms of bush sense and take care and respect the wild Kruger.

Post subject: Re: Kruger Animals and Kruger Visitors
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 am 

Grantmissy, I hear you and couldn't agree more!
I would say the majority of folks on the forum do have that attitude and its a case of "preaching to the converted"
but I do recall when we first started visiting the park, I didn't really always know how to react to various situations correctly and am sure I breached a couple of the rules myself.
As I see it, its an ongoing educational process and will always be so, as generally, modern man is out of his natural environment in there.
We have the entry permit with many of the rules on it but how many visitors even look at it and I know this as I often ask people who are breaking one of the rules that and 8 times out of ten they will be look at me as if to say, What is that?
I know some will say, but they are surely mostly general knowledge and people should know how to behave in such an environment but unfortunately this is often not the case!
I wish we could have more educational programmes on TV on this very subject instead of the ones where getting as close to animals on foot as possible, and pushing the limits are the ones which are flighted most often.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Elsa :thumbs_up:

Human intelligence in terms of using modern technology combined with human curiosity may place further stress on the Kruger natural environment in the future as people might want to increasingly go where the “action” is. Animals might in the future even become “irritated’ with the ever increasing human onlookers who are constantly following them around. Perhaps, or perhaps not, their behaviour towards humans might change and added to that is the stress of the ever present poachers stalking them. I think Kruger visitors should therefore increasingly know and understand what the responsibilities are when visiting a very special place like Kruger. I guess that is where the education programmes on television that you (Elsa) have mentioned could assist :thumbs_up: .

I have also read a very great compliment somewhere on the forum for the staff at the Numbi gate where the rules and regulations are very clearly explained to visitors upon entering the Park :clap: :thumbs_up:.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am 

Yes, and I congratulate the staff at Numbi Gate and wish the others would follow suit, as I am convinced it would help to a large extent. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm 

Yes I agree people must be educated more and what they doing at Numbi gate is great.

Most of us know how dangerous it could be, but I know for a fact that some visitors think some of the animals are trained to behave.

I go cold when I see some videos on Youtube taken in KNP of people right next to elephants etc.

The wild is just that - Wild and unpredictable

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 pm 

I work in many dangerous plants and often have to undergo induction training before being allowed entrance .Often this is just watching a 10 minute video of dangers in the area you are entering.I know SANParks has a you tube video I would suggest they do an induction of each visitor at the entrance gate and then the visitor gets a "passport" :rtm: document or stamp on entry permit they can show later if they re-enter a SANPark area to say they have undergone induction .

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Good idea RogerFraser :thumbs_up:, I think some visitors might appreciate some “bush information” as I do not think everyone who visit Kruger is wildlife experts or have advanced knowledge of the behaviour of wild animals. From time to time I still hear or read of people who feed Hyenas left-over braaivleis bones and it is very risky and dangerous as they are wild animals with incredible jaws.

gabbisa wrote:
I go cold when I see some videos on Youtube taken in KNP of people right next to elephants etc.

I have also seen pictures where I thought to myself is this not a bit close to a wild animal? To me keeping a good distance from the elephants are very much OK :D .

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Good thread Grantmissy :thumbs_up:

There have been a few incidents highlighted recently where animal and human have come into conflict. In many cases, but not all, the human crossed an animal boundary.

I feel very strongly that more education is needed. This is why I am so supportive of school initiatives. Children exposed at a young age by the right educator is going to come away with invaluable knowledge.

Unfortunately many people come to the Park with a smattering of knowledge and in some cases, only entertainment based, "gung ho", exposure.

I do think that certain media programs give the impression that it is cool to be an idiot. I remember one reality program in particular where "celeb models" were given challenges in the African bush. Now that is just stupid. :wall: :wall: :wall: but it does give good viewer ratings.

There has been a lot of criticism coming out about bush walks, but it is on these bush walks that we learn bush knowledge. It is a small group exposed to good educators. One of the fundamentals is respect, respect, respect.

I also think the banning of Johnny Walker has had a very good impact on general stupidity. As much as people miss it, it has lowered the incidence of aggressive or thoughtless behavior.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Meandering Mouse wrote:
I feel very strongly that more education is needed. This is why I am so supportive of school initiatives. Children exposed at a young age by the right educator is going to come away with invaluable knowledge.
:thumbs_up:

In my opinion visitors to Kruger should not expect that it is place where animals are kept for the entertainment of humans, or to get the best photo that is better than anyone else’s or see as many predators as possible during one visit. Those expectations may create problems for the animals and the environment. Kruger will reveal to you what you are supposed to see and experience at it’s own pace and time and should not be “intruded” upon.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 pm 

This is a great thread, and a conundrum I often find myself thinking about.

For those of us who live in the bush and experience the animals and the wildlife on a daily basis, I know it is all very good and well for me to say, 'Yes, well just use common sense!'... But of course, each person's common sense is different to the next, especially if they have not been exposed to the bush before.

Generally, there are 3 different ways new visitors approach the park. Either VERY cautiously, staying so far away from animals that a massive camera would not even do justice, or treating the park like a zoo with tame animals that just love human company. Or, of course, somewhere in the middle.

I always just recommend our guests to familiarize themselves with the rules, and also add in a few tips & guidelines of our own.

It worries me sick to see how close some people get, and not even in a 'respectful' way - revving engines, yelling at animals to get attention etc.
All that is needed is pure, simple - RESPECT :-)

All the best,
Jacqui

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JacquiS I hope that during this festive season and beyond visitors will take extra care in the interest of the Kruger animals.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
Animals might in the future even become “irritated’ with the ever increasing human onlookers who are constantly following them around.
Maybe, but maybe not.

It has always surprised me how tolerant and accepting animals can be of what we humans would perceive as an intrusion. Lions and leopards can very quickly be habituated to objects outside their realm of understanding, such as motor vehicles, as long as such objects do not materially disrupt their natural activities. This can even reach the point were e.g. lions place their trust in vehicles and leave cubs in their care when they go off hunting, or when the lonely lioness of Liuwa decided that the ranger on a motorcycle was to be her best friend.

Other examples are cheetahs using cars as vantage point when hunting, or lions who decided that the coolest place to sleep is under a car.

Animals do not distinguish between the natural and the unnatural, but rather between what they know and what they do not know. If they get to know the unknown and accept it as not posing a threat, it can easily become a natural part of their daily life.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm 

A large number of visitors enter Kruger everyday without any knowledge of what acceptable behaviour. I see it all the time. I was in Berg-en-Dal on Tuesday with a newbie and some of the questions he asked me was laughable. Stuff we take for granted really.

I remember a short while back as we stopped at Malelane gate to enter, there were visitors who were still visible from the gate watching a herd of impala and warthog. The next moment they all got out of their car and walked towards the animals, as if to pat them or something. This was literally a few minutes after they entered. I hate to think what they do when there was nobody around.

With the festive season aroundthe corner, it will be interesting to see what happens this year, as it seems there is some small or rather big thing happening every year this time. :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hmmmmmm........... Just imagine a TR like this :

We were coming round the bend on the gravel , when we saw them –stop ! stop! Stop ! – Look there! A lioness –and she’s in hunting mode !!
Wow ! I’ve waited my whole life to see this . There she was , bellydown in the grass , ears flattened , intense look , and then slowly , slowly , very slowly , going forward . And lying still again .

Look , look , there’s another one , on the other side ! And another behind that other bush – can you see her ? Wow , never in my borne days..
So they wait , just watching the prey , a young female , in her prime , totally unaware of the danger behind her , looking over the distance , looking for any movement .
But , nothing ! then , still unaware , she turns towards ...........like a FLASH , the lioness covers the 30/40 meters between them , and before anyone can shout a warning , its all over .......... the car-door , too late .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:05 pm 

Not so long ago we were driving from Skukuza to Tshokwane when we stopped behind a couple of cars who were watching some elephants crossing the road. We looked around and could see quite a few on both sides of the road. Just as a gap appeared the two took off and we found ourselves at the front of a line of cars. Now in the middle of a herd of elephants.
Moments later what I took to be a juvenile but still big guy strolled right towards us in a non threatening way and stopped in the middle of the road and barely two metres from the front of the car.
The herd was in the process of moving from one side of the road to the other and included quite a few really small babies. Once everyone was safely across the one in front of us strolled off to join them.
I'd like to be able to say I got some nice photos but in truth I couldn't take my hands off the steering wheel, I couldn't look him in the eye and I don't remember breathing, he was so close.
In retrospect staying calm was the right thing, even if we had no real choice, but it didn't feel very intelligent at the time...