Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 366  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poaching
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lesego wrote:
Yes, one of our rangers was arrested on 17 November 2012 for poaching related activities. At the moment he is a suspect. The police are investigating the matter. He appeared in court on Monday 26 November 2012. He is currently out on bail and will appear in court again on 25 January 2013. SANParks has suspended him with immediate effect so that we can further investigate the matter.

In March 2012 there were 4 officials from Pretoriuskop arrested , and now another one . Where was he stationed :hmz:
In any event , that brings to 5 Sanparks officials just this year alone :big_eyes:
How many more are there :hmz:
Is this just the tip of the iceberg :doh:
If the guardians are involved , then certainly it is no wonder that rhino killing is out of control :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tumbleweed has uncovered a very close - kept secret much has been posted here about arrests after 17 November 2012, but not a word about the Ranger's arrest or court appearance.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

gmlsmit wrote:
Tumbleweed has uncovered a very close - kept secret much has been posted here about arrests after 17 November 2012, but not a word about the Ranger's arrest or court appearance.

And once a person has appeared in court and were charged , then he no longer has the right to have his name being kept a secret .
So why does Sanpark not mention his involvement and name in their latest media release :hmz:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 am 

:hmz: :hmz: :hmz:
One does wonder why the number of butchered Rhinos is ever increasing, when more and more equipment is being donated and purchased....
How on earth can this be stopped???
It is a very sad situation. :cry: :cry: :cry:
These poor animals suffer such unthinkable cruelty :cry:
Perhaps IF ALL the poachers were shot on site, it may get a few of them re thinking their brutal actions, NO questions asked, NO second chance :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sadly, as South Africans, I think we are getting used to all the crime around us and just try to stay safely out of trouble. I certainly would not like to meet violent poachers in any game reserve but it may be more of a possibility now as it seems more staff are unable to resist the huge financial rewards that are being offered to them.
I know that the fewer that have info about anti poaching operations the better, but lets hope they achieve their goals in limiting the loss of our rhinos and breaking the rings of poachers.
I suspect it will take more action from the top of government to turn it around.

:pray: Please would all of us get the " My School, My Planet card " which costs us nothing but gives discounts to us from Woolworths , and gives a small percentage of the amount spent to your nominated receiver, which could be the Honorary Rangers.
The card is valid at Engen Quick Shop, Reggie's, Waltons, ToysRUs, Altech Netstar, Kalahari.com etc
Joining can be done online at www.myschool.co.za or by phoning 08601004
Thanks for helping!
Kite

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
that brings to 5 Sanparks officials just this year alone

A lowly ranger out poaching is not who we should be worried about. He/she is not the one that is organising this - they are mere pawns in an escalating war(although it's damn nice they were caught and IMO opinion should be shown no mercy).

I would be more interested in finding out who was responsible for getting these five officials to go out and poach. Who had access to these officials? How could they so easily have been persuaded? Who do they give the horn to and how is it sent overseas to the markets?

Those are the questions I would like answered because it all smacks of someone in a bit of power, who has a bit of authority! I would be looking up the foodchain

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Diplomacy is getting us nowhere, there are approximately 17 000 pairs of tusks in the KNP, we now need preventive action and fast otherwise - see below:

From CBS news:

Wealthy Chinese drive illegal ivory trade boom

By Holly Williams, CBS News

November 27, 2012

(CBS News) CAIRO -- International gangs are making a fortune by slaughtering African elephants and selling their tusks. Tens of thousands of the majestic creatures are being killed every year. The illegal market can be tracked from Tanzania and Kenya north to Cairo, Egypt.

It's not difficult to buy ivory in Cairo. In one busy market, we found Essam, an Egyptian ivory trader.

Selling ivory is against the law in Egypt, but when we told him we were buyers, he showed us into the back room where he keeps his stock. We filmed the meeting with a hidden camera.

A look at the problem of poachers killing elephants in Africa

Essam told us his business was booming, and his best customers, he said, are from China.

He showed us six elephant tusks and offered to sell us a pair for just under $2,000. In China, they'd sell for up to 10 times that price.

And Essam shared a special trick for smuggling ivory that he told us his Chinese customers had taught him: spray painting it to make it look like wood or metal. It's easily removed later on with nail polish remover.

What we've seen in Cairo is part of a global trade in smuggled ivory, and experts say what's driving it is wealthy Chinese who prize ivory as a status symbol.

Kenya takes drastic steps to save elephants

In the same Cairo market, we found several other ivory traders operating openly -- along with some of their Chinese customers.

One shop owner told us his clients included Chinese officials who had visited Egypt on state business.

The Egyptian government makes periodic attempts to confiscate illegal tusks. Some are locked up inside a museum storeroom.

But it represents just a fraction of the ivory that's trafficked from Africa to China to meet the demand for ornate carvings so prized by wealthy Chinese, often selling for tens of thousands of dollars.

We showed our footage to Tom Milliken, who works with a group tracking the illegal wildlife trade in Africa. He told us he's fighting a losing battle with Chinese criminal gangs.

"The Chinese are out there moving through rural areas, telling African nationals, 'We'll give you this amount of money,'" Milliken says. "And that's more than these people would see in a year."

"There's just so many potential consumers, there's just so many potential smugglers, there's so much wealth that can be employed to do the wrong thing and not the right thing," he adds.

While the Chinese authorities have made efforts to seize trafficked ivory, they refused to answer our questions, including about allegations that government officials are involved in smuggling.

That means elephants will continue to be slaughtered in the thousands to feed an illegal market in trinkets and carvings that keeps growing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... rade-boom/

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

An iceberg only shows a small percentage of its total size above the water ...........

Tumble Weed wrote:
Quote:
that brings to 5 Sanparks officials just this year alone

A lowly ranger out poaching is not who we should be worried about. He/she is not the one that is organising this - they are mere pawns in an escalating war(although it's damn nice they were caught and IMO opinion should be shown no mercy).

I would be more interested in finding out who was responsible for getting these five officials to go out and poach. Who had access to these officials? How could they so easily have been persuaded? Who do they give the horn to and how is it sent overseas to the markets?

Those are the questions I would like answered because it all smacks of someone in a bit of power, who has a bit of authority! I would be looking up the foodchain

okie wrote:

Is this just the tip of the iceberg :doh:
If the guardians are involved , then certainly it is no wonder that rhino killing is out of control :whistle:

........ and certainly , we should be worrying about how big the iceberg really is :big_eyes:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes , please SP . Credibility ratings fall quickly.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is sad to hear about how poaching has corrupted those trusted to protect.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Stark wrote:
It is sad to hear about how poaching has corrupted those trusted to protect.

Stark, because of the value of the rhino horns, the kingpins make enough money to pay everybody a handsome amount of money. From the informants who works at ground zero, to the guy that supplies the guns, to the guy that pulls the trigger to the transporter to the middleman to the customs officials, to the ship owners, to the customs people on the others side to the policeman to the distributor and further.

Everybody is against corruption as long as it is somebody else that is corrupt.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tumble Weed wrote
Quote:
A lowly ranger out poaching is not who we should be worried about.

I respectfully disagree with the statement because even a vague promise of more money than people earn in a year turn them into potential poachers. How else do you explain the current rhino carnage despite all the anti poaching efforts in Kruger?

gmlsmit quoted Tom Milliken
Quote:
"The Chinese are out there moving through rural areas, telling African nationals, 'We'll give you this amount of money,'" Milliken says. "And that's more than these people would see in a year."

"There's just so many potential consumers, there's just so many potential smugglers, there's so much wealth that can be employed to do the wrong thing and not the right thing," he adds.

The potential of earning big money by pulling a trigger means one more dead or wounded rhino, whether or not the financial reward to the poacher materialize or not.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Avon what I meant by that statement is that until you can arrest the real powerbrokers, the poaching will continue.

That ranger can easily be replaced. As you so rightly put it, the promise of money will corrupt many people and there are many people in the park and on the fringes of the park, that earn a pittance.

So until the real power men are arrested, that ranger will be replaced over and over and over again.....

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately there will always be a demand for rhino horn in the East. Furthermore, like in drug trafficking, they will not be able to get rid of all the power-brokers in the rhino horn poaching network! Sadly, it seems that the whole custodian system is getting more and more corrupt and with all these factors at play I don't see a bright future for our rhinos...

Post subject: Heartbreaking news ...
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:evil: :x :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am utterly dismayed and immensely saddened to report that on our morning drive this morning, SO and I discovered the freshly butchered and mutilated carcass of one of our beloved unmentionables :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have reported it to the camp ranger who is already on the scene.

My feelings are much more succinctly displayed on my Facebook status as airing those views here would not be acceptable.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 366  Next