Skip to Content

Plant ID needed

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Flowers of KNP

Unread postby francoisd » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Can someone please help me with the names of the following flowers.

1) Photographed this outside the Skukuza reception. It has a name plate next to it, but I cannot remember what it said. "Kudu lelie"??

2) Found single plants through out the Park. This photo taken at Mlondozi dam picnic spot
Last edited by francoisd on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sillysally

Unread postby sillysally » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:53 am

Your first pic certainly looks like a crinum, but it's not a Crinum delagoense, now called stuhlmannii, which has a big, striped, oppulent head of flowers, that can be seen here: http://www.suntimes.co.za/explorer/10/28/today.asp
The South African National Biodiversity Institute has a great website that tells you all about South Africa's plants http://www.plantzafrica.com, with a page that shows Crinum's in general - with a pic of the delagoense or stuhlmannii at the bottom. http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/crinum.htm
The second one is a Scadoxus puniceus, with a page about it here: http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantqrs/scadoxuspuniceus.htm

sillysally

Unread postby sillysally » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:35 am

francoisd, I think I've found the name of your top picture - it's a Crinum baumii
Here's a pic from another great website that belongs to the Indigenous Bulb Association of South Africa.
Toddelelfe, another website for you to enjoy!

Trentonskeeper

What is this Stinky thing?

Unread postby Trentonskeeper » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi

I'm hoping someone in the know recognizes this little guy. He popped up just outside the fence of our camp and made his presents know in a very stinky fashion, so much so that other campers gave us very odd looks and our next door neighbor actually packed up and left/relocated. :lol:

I'm assuming it's a Stinkhorn but I have tried googling and cant find more info than that. It arrived and left withing 24 hours and we endured the smell because thanks to it we had not a single fly near us for those 24 hours.

Beautiful little Fungi, wish I had been better able to get pics but the fence was having none of it.

Trentonskeeper

Re: What is this Stinky thing?

Unread postby Trentonskeeper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Chacma wrote:Wow! Trentonskeeper that is an awesome fungus, such a brilliant colour. Where were you camping? Did it smell like rotten meat? Maybe there is a commercial application for it - not sure what...

It smelt like we were sitting on top of a rotting kill, it was hectic. Thankfully we spent the hotter part of the day away from camp so did not get the full funk but it was bad. We were camped at Berg en Dal near the bottom of the camp on the loop.

It was defiantly not eating the flies so I would say it was using them for pollination purposes. Never seen anything like it before but I really hope I see it again, I'm kicking my butt I did not make more of an effort to take pics, I did not expect it to die so soon and thought I would have another chance to catch it again...but you snooze you lose.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Plant ID needed

Unread postby arks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Can anyone help with an ID for this flower? See at Mokala in late October 2012.

RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Augrabies Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Augrabies Guru » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Arks your plant looks to me like Sansevieria aethiopica,Also known as Wildewortel/Bowstring Hemp.
I could also be wrong and even if you going to google it,most of them does not look like it, I also have pics so let me know and I would gladly post them here.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, AG. I had a look at the Sansevieria aethiopica pix that google has and that looks like what we call "mother-in-law's tongues" :roll: . Anyway, they seem to have 'tougher' leaves than my plant. My only plant book is for fynbos, so not very helpful for arid park plants, but this made me think of the chincherincee (hyacinth family) ... and looking thru the fynbos book, I also wondered if it might be some sort of bulbinella?

And yes, I'd love to see your pix! Meanwhile, I also have this similar plant from KTP (seen along the road en route from Nossob to Grootkolk).

Thanks again for your help with these!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

Augrabies Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Augrabies Guru » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Arks a few plants in this Genus are refered to as mothers in law tongue,pearsonii is the specie also,but looks for me more like gemsbok horns :) .
Perhaps you can asked KG,for a id of the plant in KGALAGADI.
The following pics I also had take in October last year.
DSC01155 by closed4, on Flickr
DSC01148 by closed4, on Flickr

Perhaps somebody will come up with a correct I.D.
See the flowers and leaves differ a bit, but on the other side there might be variations in plants from region to region,sorry then, lets see.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

NAME OF PLANT IN THE NORTH

Unread postby tent dweller » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

We have been going to the Kruger for many years now :D :D , and I have tried countless times to get the name of a specific plant, I went to the nursery at Skukuza and I could smell it when asking the assistant she advised me which plant to buy, we bought it BUT it is the wrong plant. Also after asking a guide he informed me that the plant is called a "zebra sweat bush" :hmz: :hmz: It grows in the north, along the road sides and I also saw some in Tsendze. This plant gives off the most wonderful smell and when in the north you can smell it early in the morning as well as the sun starts to set. We are off to the Kruger in December and I would love to buy this plant at the nursery in Skukuza. Please can you help me with the name. I think it has tiny purple flowers when in bloom. :hmz: Thank you
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

marindadrake

Re: NAME OF PLANT IN THE NORTH

Unread postby marindadrake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm

About 2 years ago I took a photo of this plant in the Tsendze area. I send it to Micheal at the Skukuza nursery. It is a Pechuel-loeschea leubnitziae. Wild Sage - Family Asteraceae(daisy/aster family) Bitterbos in Afrikaans. You find it from the norths of Letaba to the north in Kruger, as well as on the Timbivati road. It has got a pungent smell, and start flowering around this time of the year.

Marinda Drake

Lower Sabie - 4 - 9 August
Lower Sabie - 30 November - 13 December
Tsendze - 27 April - 3 May
Balule - 16 - 21 June

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 am

When on a sunset drive from Shimuwini recently the guide stopped next to the Zebra Sweat bush and gave us a piece to smell and feel, certainly has a pungent scent.
I googled it and came up with This certainly the same plant.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 am

Elsa, thanks for the info, I have looked at the link that you posted and Pete (my SO) is convinced that it is the right plant, when in the Kruger over December we will definitely be paying a visit to the Skukuza nursery and will definitely be leaving with the right plant this time, thank you once again
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Can anyone help with an ID of this plant, seen along Darling Hills Road on 5 September 2013?

RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:51 am

Can anyone id this plant for us ?

I took this picture in Tamboti and Kaasedraai took a picture of the same plant in the Wilderness section of the Garden Route National Park. Quite two different environments so perhaps they are not exactly the same species. Neither Kaapsedraai or I can id this plant with the books that we have.
Thank you
KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

Return to “Plants”