Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: S33 Vutomi Road.
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:37 pm 
adw there is a water management plan in action at Kruger. Many of the waterholes and dams will in due course be closed and drained.

Lugmag dam and Vutomi are both on the list to be closed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The floods caused a lot of damage , and it takes time to repair . A lot of repairs are done "in-house " by Sanparks of course , and obviously they would focus on priorities first , such as camps and picnic spots :whistle:
Low water brides and causeways all have to be repaired , many many have been washed away . I understand Vutomi dam-wall was also washed away .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Where did you hear that the wall has been washed away okie ?
Well, I guess that wont be repaired then :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

granjan wrote:
I think Vutomi is one of the dams that is due to be drained anyway, isn't it?

If that's the case - so be it.
I realize the scientific approach behind such decisions, but still find it sad to see such beautiful landmarks disappear.
Rabelais Dam used to be my most favourite spot in Kruger because of the beautiful sightings that I have witnessed over many years around the dam.
For quite a few years it is gone now.
I still travel the S106 regularly just to experience some nostalgia when I pass the area where the dam was located.

I had an interesting discussion with my neighbour a few weeks ago.
Piet van der Hyde was ranger at Kingfisher Spruit (his photo can be seen in Rabelais Hut).
I thought that Piet (being of the older ranger generation) will be against the closure of water points in the park.
I was surprised to hear his support for the decision.

Big parts of the western boundary (between Kruger and the neighbouring private reserves like Sabi Sand, Timbavati etc) has been dropped.
Piet was very much against the erection of the fence to keep the game inside the park boundaries.
That prevented game like wildebeest and zebra to follow their natural migration routes.
And as wildebeest is very dependent on water, the man-made water points had to be made.

He told me those days the migrating game was shot on neighbouring land, but it did not have a negative impact on populations of the abundant species like wildebeest.
But the artificial water points had detrimental effects on some of the already scarce species as predators were drawn to the drinking places (attracted by wildebeest which had to come for water).

If Vutomi has to disappear I will experience it as a sad day, but will have understanding for it.

Post subject: Re: S33
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 pm 

I do agree with you.
It was a very beautiful road and also was Vutomi dam..... but for some reason :hmz:
they close all those large waterholes.
Lugmag was also dry when we were in Kruger last September.....
It is sad to see all those waterholes being closed.
I wonder when when they print new maps.... :hmz:

Ruud

Post subject: Re: S33
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am 

ruud wrote:
I wonder when they print new maps.... :hmz:
Apparently there is a new map out Ruud.
Here

@ Bucky I am sure I read somewhere where it was said that Vutomi dam is now permanently closed.
Will try and find it.

Ok Got it!

Joep Stevens wrote:
Many thanks for your query. For now S33 is still closed and plans are to have it repaired by end of November 2012. I have been informed that Vutome Dam will not be repaired.
With kind regards.
JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:32 pm 

Hi bucky

Remember us at Satara when we had such an excellent evening at the restaurant? I do hope life has been kind to you since.

You suggested vutomi to us and boy was that a good tip.

We do understand why, but we are so, so sad to lose it.

Trust you to get to the heart of the matter though.

“I certainly hope that SANparks starts opening up roads to some of the natural pans and dams that are out there to make up for reducing so many "pull off" type areas, where you can stop and relax.”

This sounds to me like the start of a, “holding to account” thread, after all SP have sort of promised to do this!

Better give them a chance to deal with this year’s flood damage first though, sounds like a pretty good job is being done so far.

But let’s not forget to remind them from time to time. :wink:

Ps.
Is your shutter finger still active, you gave such good advice to me when I was changing to digital?

UKB and Jenny

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:15 pm 

Elsa wrote:
Drove past the road today and can confirm it looks as if it's about to reopen as there was a grader parked there and the road itself was newly done and looking good.

That is good news. I think there is no other road closed longer than this one.
:clap:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

NogardGio wrote:
ok.....but when open Vutomi Road ?????

Well , as we know , during the floods quite a lot of damage was caused to roads , such as culverts , bridges , causeways , etc being damaged , portions of roads totally being washed away . It would obviously be necessary then to " rebuild " such sections , replacing base-course , compaction , grading , relaying of culverts , etc . , and that can take time , especially if it continues to rain , having to wait for " fair " weather , and so on .
One has to be patient :doh:

Rooies wrote:
okie wrote:
Rooies wrote:
I was just wondering, why don't they use a farm implement, what we call a 'skottel eg'? It looks like a skottel that is use for the braai at the picnic sites. It normally has 4 rows of skottels, with the front row at a 30 degree angle to the right and the second row 30 degrees to the left with the other rows the same. It will cut trough, and break up any corrugations, even in winter.

Just a thought from a former plaas boytjie.

Not really a good idea Rooies . The gravel roads are constructed by laying down layers of material and compacted . This is called the basecourse and you certainly do not want to plough it up . It is shaped and profiled specifically to allow for water run-off and drainage , etc . Vehicle traffic over it unfortunately does cause corrugations and rain-water also damages it , and as such it regularly needs to be re-graded not only to smooth out the bumps , ridges and channels , but also to scrape back displaced gravel and sand that had been moved and blown to the sides of the roads .

Ag no man okie, you have bursted my bubble. I thought that I am in line for SANParks's medal of the year for ingenuity and now you are telling me that I may not even be in line for the wooden spoon. But, there must be a simple and efficient way to get rid of the corrugations without resorting to expensive grading and other maintenance.

Rooies , I do not think there is any solution to the problem of corrugation on gravel roads . The riffles are caused by many things , and IMHO , wind plays a large part in this . As vehicles travel over the road , it cause dust to swirl up behind them ( wind-action ) , and the more vehicles that use the road , the more dust is disturbed , and loosened by the wheels .
The dust-particles are picked up and deposited on the lee-sides of the ridges , ready to be disturbed and picked up again by the wind-action of the next vehicle .
This , to some extent is the same as that of wind which cause the huge sand-dunes in the desert . These dunes lie in a pattern , crosswise to the prevailing wind . Dust particles are picked up on the windward side of the dune , and carried OVER the ridge ( which causes a somewhat negative pressure/vacuum , causing the particles to be deposited on the leeward side , and forever creeping forward .
Flowing water have the same effect on sandy-bottoms , also on the ocean-floor , through wave action :wink:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am 

Just read the Flood update posted on the website this morning - the Vutomi road is open!! :dance: :clap:

Can't wait to drive it for the first time when I am there in November! Thank you SANPARKS for all the work going into the fixing of all the camps, roads and gates damaged by the floods! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56 pm 

S33 Vutomi IS NOW OPEN!!

Jenny and I drove it the day after it opened and they have made a great job of it widening the surface and cutting back the bush just enough not to spoil the atmosphere.

Sadly, as we know, the dam is no more and we cried a tear or to see impala grazing where the water used to be.

The good news is that a little further west there is a small pan right next to the road where we had a rest and sandwich break. There was nothing but a hammercop there for 15 min or so but then impala vervets and elephants [just a bit close but OK for the strong of nerve] came to drink so there is at least some compensation.

Will try and get some photos posted as soon as we can get ourselves together, only got home to the UK today!

The s34 was still closed when we were there and it looks as if many of the concrete fords were washed away and this could be the reason why it has taken so long to fix.

UKB

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm 

bornfree wrote:
Is the water trough still working...the one that was next to the dam.

No - there is no water on this road except for the "pan" mentioned above, and probably a few spots in the river that you can't see anyway.

We drove the S33 & S34 on Sunday, and the S34 had huge herds of zebra and wildebeest. It was like driving near Satara, there were thousands of animals.

About halfway along the S34 the was a new "waterhole". I suspect this is the borrow pit where they were mining gravel for the roads. There were a lot of animals in the area, and although it still looks a bit rough, it could be a good spot in future. Does anyone know if this will be added as a tourist view point in future ?

Thanks
JB

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 pm 

S33! What a great job SAParks. Now what about the dam wall? It was indeed sad to see that this lovely dam is no more. Being not far from Lugmag dam which suffered the same fate and surely should be repaired as well! We have spent some quality time there in the past! Vutomi road is the best in the park. Now what about the rest of the dirt roads, including the notorious S106?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not repair the Vutomi wall, at least not even to a smaller height which would at least allow a shallow dam/pan during the rainy season.

at the same time digging a new deep hole for construction on the s33 not even 4km or so away from Vutomi as the crow flies, which is now full of water defeats the entire reasoning behind not fixing the vutomi wall.

I went passed the dam recently, and I reckon the road will just get washed away now in the next proper rains, as it is slightly lower than the breach in the wall, with no protection etc.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know this has been debated before, but I personally find the artificial dams and water troughs detract from Kruger's wild feeling. Personally I would like man made constructions to be kept to an absolute minimum. Three are permanent sources of water after all as well as animals that need drier conditions to thrive..