Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car rental thoughts
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:43 pm 

I normally hire an X-Trail or CRV (you can never choose the exact make).
Last time I was in SA I was given a brand spanking new Fortuner instead as they didn't have the class I had ordered. Talk about luxury, was much bigger and far more comfortable than either the X-Trail or CRV.

This time I have hired through Hertz and the vehicle looks like it could be a Kia Sportage, but once again have to wait until I get there to see what I actually get.

4 - 7 March 2014 - Talamati
8- 11 March 2014 - Biyamiti

Can't Wait !!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 am 

It also depends on your budget, how high the vegetation is when you are visiting and how long you are going to be in the park. I really value space to move around inside the vehicle so people can access both sides. We visit most years for about nine or ten nights at a time. I go with a Caravelle size vehicle even though there are only three of us. The interior space is a huge benefit when you are in the car for hours on end - camera and cooler bags and the like can go on the rearmost seats and the middle row has those sliding windows. These windows are not ideal but work well enough. If you get a choice the Mercedes equivalent is better than the VW, although this year I saw a few very comfortable looking big Hyundais as well, might try that next time. But best of all with these vehicles is the height, good bit taller than an X-Trail and the seats have a very high setting as well, but be careful not to block the view of those in small cars at sightings. The only downside is that some of the tight gravel loops along river edges aren't negotiable in such a big car, oh and the cost!

But whichever you go with, I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 pm 

Hi John

You can't go wrong with a Renault Koleos.

Great ride height ; plenty of space for 4 with "normal" luggage and a cooler box ; the back windows also go right down.

The best feature is that the ride over corrugated roads (even the S36) is also much more comfortable than with other similar vehicles (French style seats and a slightly softer suspension) Had one the last 2 times in the park and have booked one for next November again.

When I make the booking (Class S - which includes Nissan X-Trail and the Hyundai) I just stipulate that I want a Koleos. At the airport they once tried to fob off the Hyundai on me - trick is to remain friendly but firm and they then give you the car ordered.

Give me a PM and I can let you have the agent's details

Cheers
fanki

Post subject: Re: Rent car insurance-decline coverage/use credit card cove
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I wanted to update this thread with my experience...which was fantastic. :)

If you have access to get one, I suggest getting a Visa Signature card. I rented a car from Hertz at MQP for 19 days, and I had no problem declining the rental insurance (ALL rental insurance) and saving myself nearly R6k in the process.

My suggestion is that you print out the Visa Signature benefits document (pdf is online) and bring it along. I simply had Hertz reverse the insurance charge they attempted to add, make a copy of the benefits document, and keep it in my file. It's a money saver.

On a related note, I was happy renting with Hertz. A full spare tire was included, and the Kia Sportage was a comfortable vehicle. It sits a bit higher, the windows in the back roll down all the way, and we (3 of us) were more than comfortable riding around. :thumbs_up: It wasn't a 4x4, but thats okay. I'll do the 4x4 trails some other trip.

Post subject: Re: Type of vehicle for 4 fatties!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:yaya: Topgunhorse and welcome!

If you are looking at something like a bus, I would go for the VW kombi or the Hyundai H1 bus.
Both are equally nice and spacious. The one isnt better than the other. The H1 may and surely will be a bit cheaper than the VW but then again the VW is a bit more considerate with feul consumption. So its 6 of the one and half a dozzen of the other...it cuts no ice.

If looking at something like a SUV, a X-trail will work well, as well as the Tucson. But if I were to choose it would be the Hyundai IX35. It drives like a dream, very low fuel consumption( lower than the x-trail and the tucson) and have enough space for all the bags.

Decisions :wall: :wall:

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject: Re: Type of vehicle for 4 fatties!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We have hired an X-Trail and a Tucson in the past for 4 people, and we found them not very good, with all our luggage and then if you want to buy food and booze before you enter the park.

The Tucson had a very odd shaped boot, and I had to sit all the way from OR Tambo to Kruger with one of our cases in the front seat with me!!

I would definitely recommend a bigger vehicle than those if your budget stretches to it!! :thumbs_up:

Whatever you hire, I wish you a very happy holiday. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:32 pm 

IMHO it would be hard to beat a Toyota Fortuner. Front seat passengers have eye level views at about 1m65 and rear seat passengers 1m85.
There's plenty of legroom and a good size storage area.

Most of the other vehicles I have used - like the X Trail and the Tucson have seats which are actually lower inside than one imagines ( I guess 1m45) and barely higher than a normal car. And even with only two of us carrying luggage, cameras and provisions tested the limits of their "boots".
I'm afraid I can't give any insight into rental availability and comparison prices.

Post subject: Re: Car choice/best vehicle for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm 

I have travelled to Kruger with all kinds of vehicles - the last 15 years in a motorhome. For me that is the ultimate vehicle for Kruger.
And if you compare the costs of renting a vehicle plus a bungalow with renting a motorhome and paying camping tariffs, then the 2 should come out about even. Especially if you are 4 or 5 people.

Last week we parked at sunset dam and other water holes for 3 hours on end. Made breakfast, read a book and just relaxed. It was great. We could do it because our home was right there.
You should have heard the remarks of the people in the cars next to us when they smelt the bacon. A real jealous lot!!

Post subject: Re: Car Rental Suggestions?
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I went with a Kia sportage...good height and very comfortable. Much cheaper than a 4x4.

Post subject: Car Rental - Need Automatic Intermediate SUV
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 pm 

I believe you need to PM (private message) me since this is a request for non-park/private entities.

I have read MANY pages of the car rental strand and still need help.

Need suggestion for rental companies with automatic SUVs.

The following companies are out:
First Car Rental desk closes before our flight gets in
DriveSouthAfrica reqires that we get insurance we don't need
Avis and Europcar only have manual transmissions
Expedia and Travelocity said there were NO cars at all

Need:
Room for 4 adults, 4 med. suitcases & a cooler with BBQ food and drinks

Automatic: We prefer automatic transmission since we are alreay gonna be driving on the opposite side of the road for us. Using a stick shift on the "other" side might really throw us off...

SUV: We have been told the grass will be high when we are there becasue of all of the rain Nov.-Dec. So, we were planning on an intermediate SUV.

Travelling Novemeber 27th - Decemer 3rd from Nelspruit Airport to White River for the night, then to Berg-En-Dal for 1 1/2 days and Skukuza for 2 1/2 days, then onto the Panorama Route/Blyde Canyon for 1 day.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Car Rental - Need Automatic Intermediate SUV
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 pm 

Try the Nissan Grand Levina, not SUV proper, but brilliant.

Well, there are so many to choose from. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It seems as though there will always be some sort of insurance applicable to rentals in South Africa. I am sure other mites from lands afar can confirm this, but doing dummy bookings it looks like it always include insurance. I am not sure if you call the rental companies directly whether they will waive the cost though... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 am 

Thanks for the suggestions re: calling about insurance. I have found several companies that rent without the unecessary insurance, but none of them have the car type we were hoping for... I will call directly.

Now I see that most of the rental counters at Nelspruit airport are closed before I get in, which is an additional hurdle to overcome.

Do you think that the extra height of an SUV or van is warranted for late Nov/early Dec?? With the rain and higher grasses, we thought it would be beneficial.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I rent a group E vehicle from Hertz, which they describe as a "KIA Sportage 2X4 Auto or similar". To the best of my recollection they have never actually given me a KIA, I get something "similar", which the interpret broadly enough to have given me a Nissan X-Trail 4x4 on occasion.

I've always been most satisfied with Hertz, which I cannot say for the other global rental outfits.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm 

Hi All,

Just one thing about an Xtrail - the back windows do not go down all the way - depending on the height of the pax - the window can be right in your line of vision.

KR

KC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next