Skip to Content

Re: Kids/Babies in Kruger NP info.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
chungu

Re: New parents in the Kruger

Unread postby chungu » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

Welcome Schooms,

In 2008 i took my first child to KNP for the first time and she was 1 year old. we continued to visit the park until today and now she is 5 years old without contractiny any malaria but we were taking prophylaxis all of us including her. i can advise you to check with your paediatrician before visiting the park and get some insights about that.

Your experince of cnceiving a child in the park is similar to mine, now i have a second born child who is one month old and she was conceived at the Luxury Tents at Tamboti.

For now I have just suspended our visit in December due to our small baby but have planned to visit KNP next year once she is one year. our paediatrician advised us to inform him when visiting the park so he can prescribe something for us for prevention once the child is 1 year old.

Hope you can get some advises from other members.

Thanx

BushBaby_Shing

Re: New parents in the Kruger

Unread postby BushBaby_Shing » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 am

Schooms, when my wife was expecting our 2nd child we wanted to go to the park and our doctor recommended that we stay away from the malaria areas while she is pregnant, congrats on the baby and by the way my 2nd child was also concieved in the Kruger at Shingwedzi which is awesome.

The first time we took our 2 boys to the Kruger, our oldest was 3 and our youngest was 2, this is very young for the kids but they seemed to enjoy it a lot. We found that they were not really a problem for other campers and did not bother anybody.

the only slight problem was that we went to Shingwedzi and Letaba with our caravan in december and the heat at times was maybe a little to much for them although they absolutely loved the swimming pools at both camps.

We also made a effort not to drive around all day every day as they used to get tired and miserable if they were stuck in a car all day so we tended to spend a lot of time in the camps and drove around early morning and late afternoon.

The boys are now 8 and 7 years old and we are taking them to Shingwedzi this December and I am really excited to see how they react to the animal sightings as they are now old enough to really enjoy and appreciate that part of the world, they are looking so forward to it and are already nagging me to go. I remember going as a kid and I loved every minute of my trips with my parents there.

I think kids should go from a young age so that they can learn to preserve and appreciate what we have because it might not be there one day. It is by far the best place in the world. :D
Skukuza with my children for a boys weekend - 25th November to the 29th November 2015 :dance: :dance: :thumbs_up:

Johan_Otten

10 months old baby

Unread postby Johan_Otten » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 am

Is it too risky to take a 10 months old baby to kruger park in the summer time?? Are babies more at risk to malaria??

Duke Ellieton

Re: 10 months old baby

Unread postby Duke Ellieton » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Johan_Otten and welcome to the forums :D

Summer is high risk time and Babies are high risk group. There is a lot of information on Malaria here on this thread. I have linked to the last page but you can go to the previous pages

BushBaby_Shing

Unread postby BushBaby_Shing » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Johan_Otten, I must agree with the other comments that it is very risky for a baby,
I took my kids to the park for the first time when they were 3 and 2 years old but it is against medical advise and it is at a risk, my kids though weighed enough so that we could malaria prophylaxis.
We also used all precautions that we could use on our children.

Sometimes it is better to just wait a couple of years until they are older which is what I decided to do after the first time I took them.
We have not been in 5 years and are finally going again this December :D .
the kids will enjoy it much more when they are slightly older as the younger ones can get very irritated being in the car all the time and the heat has a negative effect on them as well.
Skukuza with my children for a boys weekend - 25th November to the 29th November 2015 :dance: :dance: :thumbs_up:

Reptile

Unread postby Reptile » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:01 pm

I have been going to the park since I was a little baby.
I have taken my kids since they were 2 years old as well.
I few years back my niece contracted malaria.
Thankfully she made a full recovery but having seen what she went through, I will never take a chance again by taking toddlers or babies to the park.
Its just not worth the heartache.
It's way too risky.
Bnd 30/12/2012 to 01/01/2013

Neurogenic

Unread postby Neurogenic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Yip, very dodge to take an infant to the Kruger, esp in summer due to the "malaria" season.

There is another point for this, is the temp increases drastically in summer periods and to keep you youngster re hydrated, will mean tons of fluid (not tons, tons... :roll: ) and shade where possible.

Baby could be infected, cannot talk, symptoms would present different such as "jaundice" like symptoms and the treatment for jaundice vs. malaria is a completely different route.
In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins, not through strength but by perseverance ~ H. Jackson Brown

And again, booked for July 2016 Holidays
11 -> 16 July 2016 Pretoriuskop :tongue: :cam: :dance:

Neurogenic

Unread postby Neurogenic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Scipio wrote: There are milions of babies that grew up in Malaria areas. Mine was one, so take precautions if you do take the little one there. 8)

Guys, you are speaking of back Africa here, and we live in South Africa, and with the proper knowledge I do think it would not be too bad. :hmz:

No doubt about it. Just play it safe.

jmo
In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins, not through strength but by perseverance ~ H. Jackson Brown

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Agreed NG, but some posts seemed to make the KNP look like a graveyard full of babes deceased. :tongue:

The thing is, everybody should, like on this thread, get as much info as possible, make a choice. :thumbs_up: So no offence to anyone, and I was lucky to go to Kruger since 13 Days old at first, and only contracted Malaria at age 22 the first time, and every year since. :slap: But Knowledge, :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm

A few decades ago malaria might not have been an issue in Kruger but the risk definitely change after the use of DDT was stopped.
Maybe that is exactly the reason that Scipio and those that visit the park as babies only got malaria at 20 years of age or it could be that you did not listened to your mothers advice. :naughty:

I am not a fundi on Kruger cases because there will be far less compare to rural areas around the park, but when you google and compared stats from now to early 80's you will note a huge difference.

As a child we visited northern Natal (False bay and Mkhuze) and my parents did not know about any malaria risk.
I am sure they would not taken that risk if it was an issue.
The same goes for visitors to Kruger a few decades back.

My advice is to wait for a while before visiting the park.
The problem with babies is that they easily catch a virus and often become sick when away from home.
My LO caught a virus (baby measles) on his first holiday to grandma resulting a high fever.
Normal illnesses one can still cope with, but malaria will be fatal on such a small body.
In actual fact any fever can be fatal if not treated immediately.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Neurogenic

Unread postby Neurogenic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Son godin wrote: My advice is to wait for a while before visiting the park. The problem with babies is that they easily catches a virus and often become sick when away from home. My LO caught a virus (baby measles) on his first holiday to grandma resulting a high fever. Normal illnesses one can still cope with, but malaria will be fatal on such a small body. In actual fact any fever can be fatal if not treated immediately.

Agreed, as Scipio pointed out, some are making it sound harsh in Kruger Park, when it isn.t
Feveral Convulsions, Hypethermia, Hypothermia (during winter can happen) and dehydration is a daily thing regardless where you go.
The main thing is, is to immunize your little one where possible.

These immunizations are not 100% safe and can actually worsen the situation.
The vaccines used to immunize you are real live strands of the virus with a counter-measure.
Same as the flu vaccine.
Alive and manufactured in eggs.
I have not seen anything that says a 10 month old cannot have a vaccination, however, that needs to be discussed with the pediatrician who has access to tropical disease data to confirm.

If in doubt, there are numerous travel clinics that can help give you all the info you need. :thumbs_up:

Neurogenic

Unread postby Neurogenic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Duke Ellieton wrote:Malaria can be fatal and we should not be flippant about it.

Kruger in the summer months is definitely a high risk area as illustrated in the map below and children under 5 are a high risk group

The map comes from this document which has a lot of useful information on precuations, risks, treatment.

Check out pages 8 - 10. Found it very interesting with vital information.

peace out.

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 am

Scipio wrote:Agreed NG, but some posts seemed to make the KNP look like a graveyard full of babes deceased. :tongue:

The thing is, everybody should, like on this thread, get as much info as possible, make a choice. :thumbs_up: So no offence to anyone, and I was lucky to go to Kruger since 13 Days old at first, and only contracted Malaria at age 22 the first time, and every year since. :slap: But Knowledge, :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

You have said it the best Scipio. Nobody should take chances, but I always wonder what about the babies that grow up in these regions. My 6 month old will in Dec go on her 3rd Kruger trip and my 3 year old will do her 13th I think.

I am well aware of the risks involved and we take serious precausions or rather preventative measures, which has always worked for us.

Kruger is not nearly as "dangerous" as it is made out to be and in my view is probably as "dangerous" as Nelspruit, but surely not in the same league as any other African state.

That is just my view and please do not base any decisions on what I am saying.

Tembe & Kgala

Babie's equipment

Unread postby Tembe & Kgala » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Good day to you all . We plan to come back to South Africa for the 9th time.. but his time , there will be 3 of us , as we had a baby last year. He'll be 18month old by then ..
I was wondering if any baby equipment is available in the camps? (mostly baby bed/cot)
Thanks forumites !

Scipio

Re: Babie's equipment

Unread postby Scipio » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm

:clap: :clap: You can get cots at most places in SA, and all the goodies for a baby. Carefull in Kruger with malaria, but winter here it should be cool. :thumbs_up:

He/she will come back to South Africa, any info needed you will find on this forum. :dance:

Return to “Kruger National Park”