View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Depends
Graskop to the gates will take you 1-2 hours

If you want the short route through Paul Kruger Gate near Skukuza you will take 3-4 hours . Depends if you have a stop at Skukuza

THe long way through Kruger is through Pabeni Gate near Hazyview.
On route by Skukuza
4-5 hours with a stopover at Skukuza

If you only stop for the big five you can shorten both routes by a hour

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Big Tusker. We've also been on a walk from Lower-Sabie in September 2006. I can just confirm what Gwen en Bert mentioned. You've probably already read it a thousand times on this forum, but the walks are about being out in the bush, on foot, in the company of very knowledgable rangers who will make the walk unforgetable with their informative talks.

So do not expect to see any one of the big five on foot, and you will not be disappointed. To illustrate this point even further, at another walk we went on (from Satara), one of the rangers made the following comment just as we were getting ready to walk again after our snack break: "Right people, lets walk again - I promise you, you will see something on the second part of this walk". I was quick to remark that we'll hold him to his promise (conjuring up images of lions and leopards on foot in my head). His response was spot in, he merely reminded us that the trees are always there, the droppings are always there, the landscape is always there - so he has no problem with guaranteeing that we are bound to see "something" on the walk.

That being said, I think your chances of spotting rhino while walking from Lower-Sabie is quite good. Our guides were literally tracking the rhinos and we saw rhino close-up on two separate occassions during our walk. (They're not called the "rhino rangers" for nothing :wink: ).

Post subject: Lower Sabie Camping Power points
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am 

I am booked to camp at Lower Sabie in June. I have been there many a time before, but not since the refurbishments have been going on.

Can anyone advise which Power Plugs are installed in the new camping site? The normal 3 point SA plugs, or the caravan style blue round plugs?

Any other remarks on the "New" Lower Sabie is also welcome.

Gary

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:26 pm 

You will need the blue plug and an extention cord just for incase. Also take a awning or umbrella for extra shade as the sites can be a little exposed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

jhquinn wrote:
I have a booking for a bungalow at Lower Sabie...and I see it is a perimeter unit. That seems like a very good thing (?)...anyone know the details of these? Do the perimeter bungalows face the river?

I'm not sure that adw's info is accurate on this. I think the bungalows that face the river at LS are called "riverview" bungalows and that the "perimeter" bungalows face the perimeter fence. Perhaps, if no one else jumps in here, you can PM diannet and she can ask someone at the camp for a definitive answer.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'll draw a picture! ;)

I love these units. Look up the camp map on this site, and find units 49 through 66. (Towards the left side, close to the pool.)

49 - 54 and 55 - 60 are long, almost dormitory shaped buildings, with a 5-bed hut on the ends, and four 2-bed huts in between. These are the budget units. Last time we were in LS, we stayed in the 5 bed, and it was cheap, like camping cheap. Yes, you have to use communal ablutions and kitchen, but these are very close by. The old unpowered camp sites used to be where the pool is now, and their old ablution block is thus very close.

What the park did was to combine units 61, 62, 63 and 64, 65, 66 into a single accommodation unit, consisting of a large kitchen / living area, and two bedrooms. With one double bed, and three singles respectively. The existing 5-bed budget huts don't have toilet and shower, just a basin, so they've built the WC into the living area, where the basin would be in the 5-bed budget hut (if I remember correctly, the memory is hazy on the exact layout).

There's no passage between the living area and rooms, so you have to walk outside, on a verandah.

But they're really nice, done up with nice print fabrics, redone the doors and windows in a cottagey fashion, and of course added all the mod cons you'll need in the kitchen.

In the large courtyard area, are everyone's braais, under beautiful trees, with chairs and tables. If the block is full, it can become a bit of a bunfight for chairs and tables, so take your own. Obviously not an issue for the family bungalow people, as they have breakfast counter inside.

I generally find that the people who could 'stoop so low' as to use the budget huts, are very down to earth, not fussed by having to walk to the bogs or the washup. Like us, very often they're ex-campers, enjoying a bit of luxury!!!

The family bungalows themselves, at R905 / 4 people, work out at R225-odd per head, which favours comparably with base rates at 2 or 3 bed units throughout the park, PLUS you've got the benefit of the living area. Usual add on rate of R108 / adult, or R54 / child applies, for the fifth bed.

Hope that helps!!! :D

PS: Coming from Nelspruit, BnD is so close, you could use it for a quick dirty weekend, be more adventurous, and head into the Park!

PPS: My understanding is that the park is phasing out budget huts (e.g. Orpen), and the existing 2- and 5-bed huts will be remodelled similar to 61 and 66, so hurry if you want to experience olde worlde Kruger! ;)

Edit: Dusting off the cobwebs in my memory bank, it seems we did the last LS trip in 2003 (my son was a year old), so my recollections and info are four years old. I crave your indulgence! Specifically, I couldn't recall whether the verandah was enclosed, or just a polished stoep.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well spoken Perks .

The luxury bungaloes now have pole enclosures in front of the verandahs "for privacy" and their braai's are therefore separate and you won't have to bunfight for equipment.

Oh , and the verandahs are open under thatch and tiled .

Actualy they are arguably the best family units in the park especialy because the kitchen (and fridge) is indoors not on the patio so more safe against baboons etc . (compared to Orpen say for eg. ) .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:10 am 

am going to kruger in march, would like to stay in a bungalow with river view. can someone please clarify which code this is. the only accommodation that states river view is the safari tents. We stayed in those a few years ago and my SO isn't keen to do that again, I think it was the baboons stealing food from the fridges that put him off!!!!! :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:51 am 

Hi molpol, I think they would fall under the BG2U bungalows. You will then have to ask for a riverview, I also don't see a description with riverview stated, maybe one of the mods can clear this up.
Those riverview units are STUNNING. we had a look at them in June.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

People, you are visiting a game reserve, animals roam around at free will. You can fix the fence a thousand times over, it is no insurance against animals in camps. In 2000 a lioness practically, for various reasons, climbed over me in Lower Sabie as I snored my head off.

For a leopard to scale any of the camp fences its as easy as forgetting your beer or glasses on the Olifants bridge.

If a warthog digs a hole under a fence, soon anything else will follow thru.

It's good practice to keep your kids put at night anyways. Snakes and mozzies are far bigger threats.

And btw, I dig the fact that a big and hairy thing can chomp a hole in my butt, part of the adrenalin rush and adventure of being in Kruger.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:58 pm 

does any1 know the best way of booking a night/morning drive over the internet? we have our accommodation booked already and i dont want to wait till i get there to book a game drive in case its all booked out :)
thanks!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You dont have to wait you can send an email to reservations quote your reservation number and ask them to add on the drives/walks you want to go on. I usually book mine at the same time as I make the reservation, 11 months in advance!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forum for some time and finally have a question to ask... :D

We will be in Lower Sabie in Dec staying in a Bush View Safari Tent, is there any specific tent I should request? Are there any closer to the fence or a bit further away from the other tents? (I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, if it has pls point me in the right direction).

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi LS fans
Looking for recommendations on best located Huts (EH5 - sleeps 5) at LS so i can request these for our trip in a few wks time

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:40 am 

i can't really tell you what huts to choose but your hut will have it's own braai. you can either pick up wood or coal at a supermarket outside the park (cheaper) or if you do not want to haul it into the park you can pick up both at the shop in lower sabie. i've always seen plenty of it in the shop there so don't worry about it running out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next