Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: What's YOUR favourite spot in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would like to raise a new exciting topic for discussion.

I am sure most of us think that KNP is great; and it’s very difficult to single out a specific spot as one’s favourite. But… if you had to stick out your neck and pick one spot/place/road/camp/ (where ever it may be in KNP, no matter how strange or even cliché,) where would it be?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

That is a very difficult one, but after tossing aside the spectacular views of Olifants viewing deck, Olifants lookout, Crooks Corner, Klopperfontein, Kanniedood, and many more I think I'll go for Tshanga lookout. (Near Bateleur.)
Simply gorgeous....

ImageLarge

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pic resized.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For sentimental reasons Nhkulu will always be my favorite spot.
For many years we went to KNP as a family and it was always tradition that Dad would make the breakfast at Nhkulu and serve the ladies. Four years ago, just two weeks before our planned trip to KNP, my husband passed away. Two weeks later the children and I were at Nhkulu, the boys made the breakfast and we scattered his ashes there. Some may think that this would then be a sad place, but instead it is a place with a lot of happy memories and brings peace to my soul. Our lives have moved on, but we always stop and have a breakfast at Nhkulu and enjoy those memories, (and even the Vervet monkeys know to leave us in peace)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:48 pm 

Without saying anywhere in Kruger, if I must choose it would have to be Olifants camp viewing deck and Lake Panic, neck and neck but for different reasons. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Pafuri

I think so too, in particular the drive from the picnic site to Crooks Corner and the the Nyala Drive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:06 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Nkumbe lookout
The only place where you can see the enormity of Kruger
And if you are lucky you only hear birds and the wind

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:21 pm 

Gosh, how does one choose...Kruger is my favourite place!

But to stick my neck out.... I will say Sunset Dam. (Without other humans there.) There is always something going on there. Always birdlife about, impies close by, the hippos in the dam, the crocs... the baboon troop that passes by each evening on their way home to their tree. The water buck, buffs, warthogs that come to drink... The fish eagle, guinea fowl, weavers, kingfishers that all live there. Enjoying watching the sun sink into the earth while parked there of an evening. Ah, a special place indeed.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Fave place in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 pm 

Difficult - Nkumbe yes - you can see forever. Nsemani dam near Satara. Nwanetsi picnic site. Bangu waterhole near Olifants. The Crocodile river - oh yes - every inch of this paradise!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Its hard to single out a place but Nkumbe lookout ranks right up there with Nkhulu - love stopping and having breakfast there.
To just sit and take in that expanse of land below you from Nkumbe is awesome- it really is breathtaking.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Special places in Kruger...

In the South, it would be Lake Panic's stillness at dawn and a loop in the Salitje road that forms a small forest with a view over the Sabie river. Mlondozi's vantage point, breeze and my first bush brekkie made by my sister in my initiation years...

Central would be Bobbejaankrans for high tea, Sweni bird hide and Gudzani dam especially when summer thunder dances on it's surface and I have my sister beside me.

Northern region, the bridge on the Olifant's river, lunch on the veranda at Letaba and brunch at Babala (just not under a tree where the birds put icing on everything...)

Watch this space for the far far north....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
I have many favourite spots but my favourite road for various reasons is the old shingwedzi main road. From Mopani via Shilowa and then slowly along the Kanniedood dam into shingwedzi. It offers everything from big game mopani veld to the utter wilderness of Shilowa, that sense of really being alone to the beauty and expectancy of the Kanniedood dam. We always see something wonderful or at least get chased by an ellie but its always worthwhile - its nice in the reverse direction too :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My favourite places are Sunset Dam and Lake Panic. Sunset Dam would be even better if no one else was around. A hide there would be great :D

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject: My favourite
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for your interesting responses to the original topic post-up. I really enjoy all the places mentioned – each place has its own uniqueness that makes it special.
My favourite place has to be the Olifants deck lookout.
Closely followed by Pafuri picnic site; Rooibosrandt Dam near Bateleur bushveld camp. I also enjoy the view of the Letaba River from the camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hmmmmm tough one

I would say Bobbejaanskrans. It's nothing spectacular to look at, but I like it there ;-)

It's also a quiet place and few people ever go there

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:27 pm 

I also love the deck at Olifants! Getting up every morning and getting coffee and an egg sandwich and sitting there on the deck eating my breakfast and watching all the ellies...heaven!

There is another place that I don't know the name of. On the first day of our first trip to Kruger we drove from Orpen gate to Olifants. Shortly before we got to Olifants camp there was a bridge where we crossed over the river. It was very late in the afternoon/early evening -- the "golden hour" -- and there were literally dozens of species of animals all around -- baboons playing and grooming and chasing each other, crocs and hippos in the water, herons and egrets on the banks, warthogs, impala -- it was like the garden of eden and we thought we'd gone to heaven. It was one of the prettiest things I've ever seen, so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. We flew halfway around the world to get there and it was SO worth it. It was hard to tear ourselves away to make it to the camp gate on time.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next