Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: shopping on Sundays

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Ladylucy,

The Hazyview Pick & Pay is open till 18.00 on Sunday so sure you will be able to buy all you need.

Trading Hours
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger

Unread postby bert » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:57 am

According to the website
http://www.spar.co.za/Home/Store-View/T ... -Park-Tops
closed on Sundays

But the pick&pay is open on Sundays :thumbs_up:
http://www.picknpay.co.za/picknpay/cont ... 10&s=_5178
Normal trading hours:
Monday : 08:00 to 20:00
Tuesday : 08:00 to 20:00
Wednesday : 08:00 to 20:00
Thursday : 08:00 to 20:00
Friday : 08:00 to 20:00
Saturday : 08:00 to 19:00
Sunday : 08:00 to 17:00

bert

Re: Shopping at Malelane

Unread postby bert » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:34 am

Impyim
The flask are for sale in all Kruger shops (with a logo 8) )
Also in the Berg en Dal shop close to Malenale camp

Elsa

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 pm

ecojunkie wrote:Entering near Talamati probably means Orpen - so shop in Hoedspruit, there is a big Pick and Pay where you can get all you need.

Sjambokpod wrote:Staying at Orpen you will probably go through Orpen gate?
Then 30 kms before the gate is Hoedspruit with one of the Best SPAR stores.
We always stock up there and restock if we have to when staying at those Orpen area camps.

TonyP wrote:If you want to shop in Hoedspruit it is about 30 k's past the Orpen turn-off (coming from the south), but there is a relatively new P&Pay in Hoedspruit. (very nice shop).
As you enter Hoedspruit from the south you will see a Total filling station on the left, immediately after opposite the Total filling station) turn right and right again into a shopping complex, the P & Pay is at the far end.
Also a great Pizza place there, if you've got the munchies, on the left as you enter the complex.

Sure this will all be of help Lindah! :thumbs_up:

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Cafeteria food

Unread postby threedogs » Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 am

Hi elosonegro!

Buy a cooler and stock up with groceries outside the park. The camps do have shops but the range is much more limited and more expensive. Not sure what you mean by coffee pot? We brought our own coffee plunger pot (or what you guys might call a french press) as there are none in the chalets. If you mean a coffee pot like I would call cowboy coffee pots then you will also need to bring one too although I think I have seen basic ones for sale in Kruger camp shops.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

Gilbertr14

Re: Cafeteria food

Unread postby Gilbertr14 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 am

@elosonegro

If you coming from Hoedspruit, there is an excellent butcher to the south of town on the way to orpen gate.
Sells awesome meat and Biltong (Jerky)

We usually stock up for 3 or 4 days, as the freezers in the chalets are very small, but at least you have some fresh produce.

A box or two of long life milk as backup also goes a long way.

Every camp has an aluminium kettle in the chalet.
A flask is a good suggestion for morning drives, and making coffee at the picnic spots, who all supply hot water.

kellyee21

Re: Good supermarket stop on the way to Punda Maria?

Unread postby kellyee21 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am

I should have posted this question before our trip in April so I can tell you where NOT to go.

We went to the Pick n' Pay in Thohoyandou. It is close to the highway but we drove in circles for an hour looking for it in the various little shopping centers and asked directions several times. It was a saturday late afternoon and hardly had anything left, i have never seen a Pick n Pay like it. Strange thing is there was a ton of veggie meats which was good as I didn't find that in the park. We were staying 17 days in Kruger and wanted to stock up but we ended up buying a few things to get started and the rest along the way. They didnt even have rusks !

Beware of radar checks on the last part of the road after Thohoyandou especially. it is mostly a 60 zone and they were waiting for those of us in a hurry to make the gates before closure...

Have a great trip !

Unread postby 123 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 am

If you have the choice of shopping in Komatipoort or Malalane, which will you choose?
On a previous visit we did our shopping @ Komatipoort Spar and was satisfied with the quality and pricing of items.
This time we will be entering @ Malelane Gate en route to Pretoriuskop after a staying at a resort just outside Crocodile Bridge and will need to stock up on supplies before entering Kruger in December 2013.
I have no previous experience / knowledge of Malelane area and would appreciate any advice.
Otherwise I will stick to the tried and tested and shop @ Komatipoort before leaving for Malelane.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am

Malelane Spar is bigger than Komatipoort and often a little cheaper for some reason. The choice of bakery items is different in both stores though, and I prefer the savoury breads at Komati but the Portuguese rolls in Malelane are fantastic. The butchery items in Malelane are much better too.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

MOGGYMINDER

Unread postby MOGGYMINDER » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi, we are in the uk and always pre=order our shop at Malelane pick n pay and collect it, you can go on the website look at whats available and make a list in a word document and email them it and they will have it put through the checkout and boxed for you so you just need to pay and collect it. We have local everything as much as possible, it starts our two week food supply off and we top up in the park. We buy everything including toiletries, sometimes there are substitutions but thats fine, we live on BBQ food and try everything. We drive from Joburg airport ina camper van and stay in hides, our van and also accommodation, a real mix. PM me if you need any more info. When do you go ? We travel in two days !

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Acc and supermarkets closest to Punda Maria / Pafuri

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi sucramuk - I hope you have a fantastic trip to the north of KNP. It is truly magical up there - especially if you like birds and trees - some special ones up there.

I don't know Makhado but if there is a shopping mall there, you should be OK. Otherwise, there are several large shopping malls in and on the outskirts of Polokwane. After you leave either of those large towns, the area between them and Pafuri or Punda Maria is extremely rural with very few shops, fuel stations etc. The shops that are there are very basic, so you would be advised to shop in one of the larger towns - Makhado or Polokwane.

As for accommodation outside KNP in the north of Limpopo province, you should Google for bed and breakfast places and see what comes up. There are also some web pages that cover that sort of thing.

You don't say where you are coming from and why you need to shop that close to KNP. When we go to KNP from our home near Johannesburg, we do all the shopping and packing well before we leave and have a fairly straightforward trip to the park. I guess you are maybe coming from overseas and are flying in, so don't have the luxury of car fridges and freezers. Maybe when you do shop you should look at buying a cheap cooler bag and some ice blocks that you can freeze when you are in camp - makes keeping food fresh much easier.

Have a great time planning and have a super trip when you get here.
KTP May 2015

JohanEngels

Fresh fruit and veg before you enter Kruger

Unread postby JohanEngels » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am

Hey all.

Hope this is not a silly question but was wondering if anyone can confirm whether their is fresh fruit and vegetable stalls next to the road around Acornhoek or on your way towards Orpen Gate. :pray: :pray: Nice fresh fruit in season, rather than the ones that was in a fridge the past month, before being packed out in our local supermarkets. :wall: :wall: If so, please let me know, then one can rather buy there before entering the park.

Merry Christmas everyone, and I'll see everyone in Kruger next week!!! Cant wait! :clap:

DGBrookse

Re: Fresh fruit and veg before you enter Kruger

Unread postby DGBrookse » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am

I would buy it in the nearest supermarket before you get to any gate in Kruger. There are some dodgy areas outside some of the gates, so rather be prepared upfront. There is normally some fruit and veg available in the main camps in the South, which is regularly replenished. What you DON'T want to do, is eat in the restaurants :( Just been there. Yuk. Enjoy your trip!

Elsa

Re: Fresh fruit and veg before you enter Kruger

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm

I agree, only stop at recognised and well populated stalls

One recommended Here
and maybe more in that topic as well.

jacquiandphil

Butcher please on way to Punda

Unread postby jacquiandphil » Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 pm

We usually stock up at Pick n Pay Polokwane, I gather there's a new one in Mall of the North which will mean we wont get lost in the one way system in town, as the new mall is on the R81.
But we would love to buy some game. we can very rarely buy it in the Park and anyway for the first week we are in Punda and Sirheni.
Anyone know of a butcher selling game. We drive OT airport to Punda the day we land and just have time to do a one shop stop on our way and a couple of loo/petrol/coffee stops.
We are so limited on time we have our essentials shopping list we keep from one year to the next. (Not so limited that we don't have time to stop at a Spur. Holiday started.)
Thanks for any ideas
August 2014 23 Punda, 26th Sirheni, 30th Satara, 3rdSept Lower Sabie, Rissington Inn 6th
Jacqui and Phil
July 2015:
24/07 outside park
25-27 Nossob
27-29 Kieliekrankie
29-01/08 Mata Mata
01-03 Kalahari Tent
03-07 Twee Rivieren
07-09 just west of Upington

Return to “Kruger National Park”