Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: (Prequel) Kruger trip Aug 2012 - Friends, Family and Bus
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

3rd Aug - Satara to Letaba via Oliphants

We left satara early and headed first towards orpen. Just by the dam we met this handsome chap.

There were only 3 cars and our 2 when we arrived but one car had parked across the road so the rest of us had its bottom. the car then drove behind the lion as it walked down the road :rtm: Everyone else just had a rear view, at one point the lion walked off the road and so I passed the car, they were not happy. I parked up down the road and let the lion walk past us, and the other 3 cars, we then continued to follow the rear of the lion with the other car blocking the way, a car and caravan had by now arrived and it was obvious they just wanted to pass but the car wouldnt let them. The lion then turned sharp left and dissappeared, the behaviour of one ruined the experience of several. What was most annoying is that most of the time the people in the car didnt even look like they were watching the lion. :sniper:

We turned right and headed north, at one point we lost my dad and SO so stopped to look at a giraffe and had a Honey badger crossing front of us but no photos.

After 5 minutes we decided to back track and luckily we did because my dads SO had spotted this beauty, a pearl spotted owl.(I think)

Etosha - August 2014

Last edited by john n poppy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We continued on and a lady in a motorhome informed us of a mating couple of lions about 3 km up the road, after 3km's we thought we might have missed them but hidden in the bushes there they were. After a couple of minutes they moved for us.

It was great to see and even nicer to point them out to a dad and son who had come the other way, they were so excited and yet so polite, they would check they werent in our spot etc. If only everyone was this courtious.

We headed towards oliphants as you cant visit kruger without having a cold one looking at the view from camp.
Here are a few pics from the bridge and a woodpecker from inside camp.

We arrived in Letaba and shortly jumped on the sunset drive, we saw a wildcat early on and were then told about 2 male lions. We did have 2 americans on the drive (sorry those of you from the US) but this lady had obviously had everything done for her, she went on about kenya and the serengeti but she couldnt get her camera to work and couldnt even attach her flash. Her male friend; who was virtually deaf and I can see why, when we pulled over to the male lions that were no more than 7 metres away couldnt see them :big_eyes: . but eventually did and then said he thought it was a mating pair...to which my SO pointed out only if they were gay lions. He asked how she knew? To which she pointed out that the female one had a penis :slap: Classic.

We arrived back and headed to the restaurant for a late dinner. I was messing about with the camera trying to take sunset pics when I heard a comotion below.

and believe it or not there were 2 porcupines having a bit of a dispute.

What a great end for the day and my dads SO was very happy to tick off a few more species in her book.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

4th Aug - Letaba-Letaba

This morning we let my dad and his SO have a lie in while we headed on a westerly loop hoping to see wild dog. We didnt see any dogs but driving up the S47 we came across 3 lions and one shy female. They were very relaxed around the 5 cars but soon enough they had been warmed by the rising sun and were off into the mopane bush.

It was great sitting in the presence of these majestic killers, but all the time I was thinking...what a shame my dad and SO arent here to share it.
On our way back we saw very little but had had a nice early morning drive.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A regretful afternoon

We arrived back in camp and set to washing our clothes. As there were four of us it was easy to fill the washing machine and while it did its magic we downloaded photos.
As my dad had been stuck in camp in day so far we decided to hang up our clothes and go out on a drive, I convinced him all would be ok and that the people here are all trustworthy.

We set of to makhadzi picnic site and on the bridge we saw a monitor lizard below.

At Malopenyana water hole we watched a group of zebra and a large elli drinking before an idiot towing a boat came hurtling past beeping his horn, what a .. :rtm: I did wonder where he was going with a boat at such speed but I believe it was probobly into limpopo NP and out the other side.

At he picnic site we had a brief drink and tried to take some photos of the many birds that can be seen there.

As we travelled back along the H1-6 we saw 2 reedboks in the river bed below us.

We also had our own roadblock as three big ellis were walking dowm the road...'his bum definitly looked big in that'

We arrived back in camp and went to get our clothes.. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
Half of our clothes were missing, we had hung them over 2 sections of the washing line and one section was completely empty. They had stolen a wide variety of clothes...a tshirt, shorts, male and female pants, a dress, a jumper and one of my socks :hmz:

We went to reception and they rally couldnt care less, the lady said oh, they will be returned, someones just taken them by accident!!Really. One item maybe but 10 items :hmz: .
We eventually managed to get her to let us write it in the lost book but as of yet weve heard nothing. We did have a laugh about it later saying we need to keep an eye out for a cross dressing, one legged,warm and cosy vervet monkey. :lol: We had always enjoyed letaba but this left a sour taste in our mouths.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

5th letaba to balule

We had a short drive out of letaba before returning to pick up my dad and SO.

We had a few different sightings that we were pleased to point out to my dad as we travelled along the river road to oliphants. After lunch at oliphants and a quick food shop we travelled onto Balule. Balule is my favourite camp and this time sharing it with my dad and SO and susieB and SO it would be even better.

As the tar road was closed the dust road was now a race track and we were pleased to have gotten away from it.
I can never pass up a chance to photograph a kingfisher.

We had a lovely sighting of a little elli enjoying itself in the mud and alongside that we watched a young baby be passed between two vehicles as they watched the ellis. :big_eyes: It was like Michael Jackson all over again :wink:

As we neared camp we spotted a hyena den not 500 metres from the gate. We spent a lot of time with them the next day so here is just one photo to start you off.

We pitched camp and set out for a short drive only to meet susieb at the hyena den. We wished her luck and set off. A few picks of our drive.

That night we had a fantastic meal that my dads So cooked for us..Thai green curry and rice...better than a restaurant..( you done get salivating hyenas outside restaurants either)..my dad would like to point out I am sure that he helped :hmz: and he did. He opens and empties cans and bottles extremely well. :wink:

That night my SO awoke to what she thought was buffallo outside the camp. She didnt wake me as she is very nice but did mention it to all of us in the morning;none of us heard it though, so it was forgotten :slap: .

Etosha - August 2014

Last edited by john n poppy on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

7th Aug Balule to Balule

We headed out alone and travelled down south on the dust road S90, although we didnt see much I really enjoy this road as it has a very different feel to most roads. It has big open grasslands and you can see far away, as the S90 met the S41 we saw 4 male lions on the bank, all sitting around.

A small group of zebras temporarily blocked our view of the lions.

we travelled to satara and then drifted back up the S90, on the way we came across a tawny eagle that was eating a civet, I think, it looked as if it could be road kill due to the fact it was quite close to the road.

We arrived back in camp and we were all alone, my dad had gone out and our friends had not returned. We got out of the car and noticed a few :big_eyes: and then loads of vultures right next to camp. You could see them in the distance and like bombers they would swoop in.

every now and again the vultures in the trees would take off, do a loop and then return to the trees.

After at least 30 minutes it dawned on me why there might be lots of vultures :slap: I was so intent on getting good flying pics my brain had turned off. So in the car we got and drove right out of the gate down to the closed bridge to oliphants and this was the scene.

There was a large hyena trying to rip off any parts of a Kudu carcass, we could only assume it was killed the night before...my SO's buffalos :slap: ...as im sure the hyenas would have been more interested in that than our curry.

We stayed for 30 minutes or so before needing a wee (we had forgotten in our excitement back in camp), as we got to the junction to turn for camp we saw susieb's car coming down the road. We stopped and waited for them, wound down the window..
"Have you seen the Kudu kill?" we asked. :rtm:
"What Kill" said susieb and SO with a suprised look. :big_eyes:
"Thats the correct answer.....and you are still our friends" :thumbs_up:

we then explained to them about the kill and we had wondered if they had turned right in the morning and seen it. We also blamed susieb for us not seeing it as her hut was not 50 metres from the kill. :wink:

We returned to camp after sharing the kill site, but with so much scrub about there wasnt much to see really. When my dad arrived back we discussed sightings and shared our lions with him to which he shared his 4 male lions walking down the road with only them there on the S89. Sometimes it pays to sleep in...but i could never do it.

That afternoon we spent the sunset with the hyena family. It was a great experience apart from the couple in a huge diesel hilux who didnt know how to turn their engine off :sniper: and nearly reversed over mum. :big_eyes:

I have deliberately not posted any rhinos but somewhere we spotted this beauty..

That night we enjoyed thai noodles and braii meat....another great meal :dance:

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

7th Aug Balule to Satara

We again nipped out for a little drive before returning to pack up and collect my dad, as we went to leave my SO went to the communal fridge to collect our lunch...bread,crisps and ham only to find it wasnt there. :big_eyes:
We were a bit annoyed but it wasnt much and as we got to the gate and tipped the friendly gate guard he asked if all was ok at the fridge, we explained and he said he had seen a gentleman remove a brown paper bag from the fridge just 10 minutes before as they left :naughty: .

The day was very slow and we saw nothing along the main tar road down to satara, we did a few little drive from satara and the only real sighting was a pride at the dam but we could only clearly see 2 males and a little cub popped out briefly.

That night while we were having tea we were joined by a wild cat..it didnt seem very wild but was again very nice to see.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

8th Aug satara - Satara

This was my dads and SO's last full day in Kruger and we had arranged to meet for breakfast at Nwanetsi, unfortuanatly he had enjoyed the South African Amber nectar a bit too much and so didnt wake for gate opening.

So me and SO set off early, we set off along the H7 and on turning onto the S36 we met a troop of Ground hornbills.

and then this slightly smaller bird..

We travelled along the sweni road and then back upto the S100. There were 3 / 4 lionesses and cubs and we stayed as long as we could before setting off for our breakfast. We arrived late but there was no sign of my dad :hmz: so we got a skottle, a first for us, and we settled down to cooking breakfast with susieb and so.
After about 15 minutes my dad arrived, he had headed towards Tshokwane before realising his mistake. :doh: I think he was just waiting for us to do all the cooking before he made his appearance. :lol:

After breakfast/dinner we headed to sweni hide and spent a good hour watching ellis, storks,kingfishers etc.

On our way back along the S100 we saw a lot of general game including a drinking giraffe and a group of waterbuck.

That evening we had all booked a sunset drive, my dad and So's last chance to see a leopard, so our fingers were crossed.

We headed to Nsemani and unfortuanatly spent an extra long time looking at far off lions.

We saw little else on the drive apart from a few genets.

On the way back we drove down the H1-3 for a short time to the bridge, in the river bed below the driver saw something...he asked what it was...by now my SO was cold and a bit disappointed, so after a quick look she said "Elephant Poo" to which the driver replied "wow...is that moving elephant poo?", it turned out to be a porcupine :lol: and for a short time afterwards my SO got alot of stick over her porcupine / poo mixup.

We all had a meal in the restaurant when we got back and it was a nice way to end my dad and SO last evening in the park.
and unfortuanatly they had seen no leopards.... :(

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

9th Aug - Satara to hazyview.

and so this was my dad and SO's last morning, we were all going from satara to orpen and out.

The whole drive we saw nothing and I hadnt even changed my camera settings from the sunset drive the night before...

and then about 5 km's from the gate a leopard walked out onto the road in front of our cars :big_eyes: .

There were only us and 1 car that came the other way. I was so excited both for me and for my dad and his SO that they had indeed seem a wild leopard...and what a beauty it was...

and then it walked off into the bush....but the smiles stayed all the way to the gate :dance:

We left kruger, probably my dads last trip, and i am glad to say that it surpassed all his expectations and for me it was the best 40th birthday pressie I could ever have, we had lots of great moments together that couldnt happen any where else. :thumbs_up: .

Me and my SO would be back in kruger the next day as we left my dad to fly to cape town.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

10th Aug - Phabeni Gate to Moroela

We got to the gate around 9am hoping to miss the queues at this busy weekend...we didnt but when we showed our Kruger park entrance we were ushered past all the other vehicles and through a seperate gate :dance:

As we drove off we felt really guilty.........well not really :wink:

It took a long time to get to skukuza as there were traffic jams around every 4 legged animal, but past skukuza and onto the S36 the traffic was a lot less and we settled down to some nice sightings.

We saw a very nice Korhaan and quite close to the road.

and this road block was a pleasant distraction.

we cant miss a kudu photo opportunity.

As we neared the end of the S145 we came across a little pride of lionesses in deep grass, after a long journey we were keen to move on.

At the junction to the camp site we spotted a jackal who didnt mind hanging around and I have seen him on many a trip report since our return.

We pitched the tent and as we cooked tea we were visited briefly by a honey badger and then managed to spot the scoops owl in a tree above us.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

11th Aug Maroela to Skukuza

and so we reluctently left the quietness of moroela to the city of skukuza, the gate guard...in his vest and boxer shorts :big_eyes: let us out 5 mins early.

Our route would be along the H7 and down to the sweni road. We had heard of a lion kill that evening from a fellow camper who said it was near satara. As we got close to the kill, which we didnt know was there, we saw several vultures and got started taking pics, it was only as we moved position did we see the 5 cars around the corner looking at the lions. :slap: We continued taking pics of the vultures for 5 minutes, we didnt want to look like idiots, before we eagerly moved to the lions.

and just around the corner were a small group of wilderbeast that were obviously glad not to be lunch.

on the H1-3 we decided a toilet stop was in order so off to satara it was, inbetween the H6 and S100 we had 2 nice bird sightings and stayed as long as our bladders would allow.

As we left satara for the last time, a feeling I always dread, we headed for the sweni hide on the S37. On the way we saw several purple rollers but they were less photo happy than there lilac cousins. We had never spotted the purple roller on our previous trips so it was nice to have a photo.

We stayed in the hide for a while but saw little apart from a drongo kill.

We headed down to orpen dam and unfortuanatly missed some friends from the uk who were headed up the H1-3 :( .
At orpen dam we had a little break and then went on to skukuza

...that evening we went for tea at the selati restaurant....not the best meal for some of us..but the company was good.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

12th Aug - Skukuza to Lower Sabie

We moved along the H4-1 and then into lower sabie, we paused here shortly for some bird pics. just before camp a car came past us at speed, Icouldnt believe it was the same car I had reported the year before having seen it speeding around lower sabie 3 times....once on a sunset drive :evil: . Of course I went to reception to report them again...will it have any effect...who knows?

We then headed down to croc bridge on the tar road for a late breakfast and to meet Susieb. While having breakfast we watched as the warthogs sneaked into camp only to be choo'd out before having chance to eat the grass, even my SO helped out on the choo'ing. it lasted 5 mins before they came straight back :lol: .

We left croc bridge and headed up the S28, by now it was really windy and this jackal was not enjoying it.

As we were watching some rhinos far off in the distance a car pulled over and told us about 2 leopard sightings and a dead rhino. It was really nice for someone to share with us but I think his main aim was to ask me about the car as it was the same as he had. :hmz: but nice none the less.

So we continued on and came to the leopard , deep in the bush, but very nice to see.

Close to dukes waterhole we saw this upsetting sight, :( we heard that this rhino had been poached and that it had to be shot. I was surprised that it would be put to sleep so close to the road. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate you letting me know.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

12th Aug part 2 - Patience pays off

We had been told about a leopard with kill on the 3km section of the S130, so we went to have a look. We first drove past the tree as it was quite a distance away but on returning we spotted the kill in the tree.

We sat there for about 20 minutes before deciding to travel back towards the first leopard.

The first leopard had gone so we returned to the kill in the tree via dukes waterhole where we found a gymnogene, our only one of the trip, and susieb. At the tree we both sat there for around an hour scanning the floor. Susieb decided to move on as they were staying at skukuza and just as they went out of view a leopard stood up and walked over to the tree. We quickly rang them and they returned, we chuckled about how typical it was for them to leave and it to turn up.

and so we sat there again just watching the leopard first feed and then watch any cars that arrived, he was far enough away not to be bothered though.It is something special to watch such a beautiful animal do what ever it wants to in its own patch.

I am always amazed at how rude and stupid people are, we were now 3 cars on a wide road when a large hilux appeared. They parked in the middle of the road, not where we were but a few metres up the road in not a particularly good view point. I know because we tied every point while there were no cars about. As more cars came from behind they didnt move. They only moved when a car from the other direction decided it needed to leave and then it took him ages. If he had moved to one side all the cars behind could have gone past and might have enjoyed the view of the leopard instead of his rear end.

We also had 2 people from the uk :slap: who we showed them the leopard, which took a while, the lady then got excited about how they had now seen the big five :thumbs_up: and then drove off within 2 minutes :big_eyes:

after about an hour susieb had to go, so we said our goodbyes. A little while later mum :wink: climbed higher into the tree and started calling.....

she then dropped back to the ground and dissapeared, we again waited another 20 minutes we then saw mum and cub both run back up the tree as a hyena appeared below. :big_eyes:

we stayed with them as long as we felt we could before returning to lower sabie.

Somewhere along the way we saw a family of rhinos, dad,mum and their little one...unbareably cute.

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our last full day :(

13th Aug - Lower sabie to lower sabie

So we set off from lower sabie up towards skukuza where we saw a small group of lionesses in and out of the river bank bushes but no real photos. We turned around and went to see if the leopards were in the tree. They were but it was dark and there were several hyenas running around...using a head as a rugby ball :hmz:

Shortly after we spotted susieb again and in convoy headed to croc bridge for the best breakfast in kruger. Susieb told us of some bee eaters on the H10, so after saying our goodbyes again, we slowly headed to lower sabie for dinner and then out to the H10 via the leopards again, but only mum was to be seen on the floor.

As we drove up the H10 we saw some cars by a big tree, as we got there we saw the impala in the tree...it was a dilemma, do we stay or do we go....so we stayed and after about two hours of waiting I spotted an ear twitch, about 20 metres away, that was twenty five metres away from a couple who not only got out of their vehicle several times but also both had to urinite behind their vehicle. :rtm:

The leopard then got up and moved up the road away from the kill and lay down..do we move :hmz: :hmz: , several other cars moved to get better views....should we have moved :wall: and then a bataleur landed in the tree and the leopard was not having any of it, it got up and headed for the tree...

and we were glad we never moved......

and then it jumped into the tree...

more to follow....

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

and so it jumped up the tree in the blink of an eye..

the leopard then lay in a branch out of view, as usual, and we waited.

then out of the blue the saddest lioness I have ever seen, she was stick thin,limping and had a porcupine quill sticking out of her cheek. She walked past the tree and off into the distance :(

After watching the lioness dissapear the leopard got down to eating its tea.

Although this was our last night in Kruger for this year we slept well and looked forward to a return trip to the leopard in the morning......would it be there?

Etosha - August 2014

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next