Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 12 of 14
 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tsamma Land Re-opens
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Guru
Guru

Morning all,

Just to inform you the school received two video machines with almost 20 kid’s videos for their school. Thanks so much to ShakyJakes and his partners in 'crime'.

The kids will love all of you guys forever and all the donations will stay with them forever.

If any of you have seen the new SANParks newspaper 'SANParks times' will see there is an article in about Tsamma Land, the kids are in seventh heaven because their little school has made the newspaper....and it’s all because of you guys THANKS SO MUCH

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 pm 

I will have space for the table tennis table if no one was able to take it up before December! But I am leaving from Pretoria, not sure where you have it now.

FIRST TRIP TO KTP WAS IN JUNE/JULY 1996!

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=61629

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Please everybody, I have to ask again that nothing goes to Tsammaland or the Christmas Drive without telling the VHR's about it. :pray: :wall: PLEASE! There are so many of us you can contact about this, that should be no problem.

The projects are in danger of being stopped if they're not run correctly. :cry: People like Jannie, Vanessa, Lion Queen and Scouter have worked their behinds off to make this all happen. Don't spoil it for them.

Post subject: notice
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am 

Dear all

As per the post by a forum moderator on 30 Dec 2011, here, all forum projects need to be placed in the SANParks VHR Wild Projects forum. This topic will be moved there shortly. A shadow will be left for two weeks, and a locked topic where links to projects that affect the Arid Parks will be kept in this forum. If you wish to add a link to the topic, please PM Dotty, or one of the moderators.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi there all Bloem 'mites

We are leaving for Kids in Parks on Friday, 13 October and will have a bit of space if anybody has a delivery for Jannie from Bloemfontein.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A word of thanks to everybody that's sent me or the others PM's informing us of what you're taking with to Tsammaland. :gflower:

Much appreciated by all involved. Keeping things straight.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 am 

And thanks to you GP, for keeping the records :gflower: :clap:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Do it for the kids!!
For the future :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am not involved with the Tsammaland Project anymore. Any items sent to the school - please send the lists to Dinkybird or JenB. :D

I will however still contribute to the school with items and support, but as private individual and visitor to the park.

Thanks everybody.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Guinea Pig
Many thanks for all the help with the lists and the good suggestion of the sports equipment donations for Tsamma Land. The sports suggestion seems to have fallen largely on deaf ears (contributing Mites, please apply the if the cap fits policy to this broad statement) :) . Common Mites! We can do better than this - are there any spare volley ball nets and balls that are not being used? School holidays are around the corner!
Will send all future lists to JenB.
Cheers
Gandalf

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there all,

Herewith the first Tsamma Land news letter, if you wouldlike to receive the news letters please contact Vanessa at Vanessa admin@red-duneadventures.com.

Tsamma Land Newsletter

Five months ago Dinah, myself and Jan looked at one another with one thought in our minds – how are we going to do this? At the time Tsamma Land was a dream with lots and lots of work and recourses needed and we had no idea where our help will come from… Lucky for us a lot of amazing people came onboard to support us with advice, love and loads of recourses to make our dream of a safe place where kids could come to play, learn and grow a reality.

Since then Tsamma Land has grown into a huge success with 30 kids enjoying the benefit of the books, art and craft materials, games and toys we received through all your generous donations.

Extra activities (other than the learning) we organised so far include:
• A Fathers day card as our very first craft activity
• Two holiday programs which included art and craft activities, game drives, movies and a concert
• Arbour day celebration
• Pay it forward day

OUR STORY SO FAR….

Our doors opened on 4 June 2012 to accommodate the children who go to school in Welkom, and who was in great need of a place where they could go to do their homework. Fortunately the lady who made herself available as teacher at the school was a relief teacher at the school in Welkom so not only was she known to the kids but she is also familiar with the school work.

We had a hugely successful holiday program after which the children made a potjie with rooster koek and potato salad at Dinah’s house to thank her for he program. They supplied everything even kneading the dough for the bread themselves.

The report back from children and parents alike is very positive and the hard work done by the kids and Dinah showed in the report cards. We are even able to set a goal of 80% as a class goal for this term.

FUTURE PLANS…

The future looks bright for Tsamma Land.

We are very much looking forward to our Christmas party which will double as the grand opening, end of year party and welcome party for the little ons in next year’s kindergarten class.

The doors for the kindergarten offering children from 3-5 the opportunity to hoe their skills for the “big” school will open on 16 January 2013. In the kindergarten we will focus on developing the skills the children need to be ready for school and thus giving them a definite leg up for their future. We also have a retired kindergarten teacher who will be spending time with Dinah and the kids helping with the practical aspects of handling a class with varied age groups.

Over and above that we are also planning to open the door to our very own library and media centre where not only the children will benefit but also all the other staff. We also hope to add adult computer literacy classes to our list of programs offered.

And… in the long run we hope to add a crèche for babies to our list of services offered and a Tsamma Land scholarship program to enable those who want to study further the opportunity!

OUR TEACHER…

Those who have visited our school might have met our teacher Dinah. She is a dedicated teacher currently studying Early Child Development at the college in Upington. Driving in to town once a week for classes is not without its challenges but it is something she does with pleasure as it not only benefit her but also enhances the kind of care she will be able to give the kids.

The kids love her as she is able to communicate to the on heir level often when you see the kids play it is difficult to distinguish between her and the kids.

She also has been teaching at the Welkom school as relief teacher witch gives her the unique ability to assist the school kids with their home work, and also being well in tune with the school programme.

FROM THE TEACHERS PEN….
(in Afrikaans first and translated below)

Dit is vir my lekker om by Tsamma Land te wees, want hier het ons ‘n familie geword. Ons lag saam, ons huil saam, ons doen alles saam. Hier leer ek nie net die kinders nie; ons leer elke dag van mekaar. Ek help hulle met hul take en hulle help my ook met myne. Met al die skenkings wat ons gekry het is dit ‘n groot plesier om te leer.

Ouers ek wil net se julle kinders het myne ook geword en as een ‘n dag nie by die skool was nie voel dit of ‘n stukkie van my wat weg is. Al skel ek ook so baie is dit net omdat ek lief is vir hulle en wil he hulle moet beter presteer, want ek glo geen ouer se hart sal so bly wees as om ‘n goeie retort te ontvang ne.

Ek wil elkeen wat besoek afle by Kgalagadi uitnooi om te kom kyk hoe ons plekkie lyk!

For me it is a pleasure to be involved at Tasamma Land, here we became a family who laugh, cry and do everything together. It is a place where I not only teach the kids but we also learn from each other. I help them with their papers and they also help me with my projects. With all the donations we have received it is a joy to learn!

For the parents I want to say: Your kids have become mine, and when one is not at school for a day it feels like a piece of me that is missing. I may be quite hard on the kids, but it is only because I love them and want them to do well at school. I also believe that parents feel a special kind of joy when they receive good school reports.

I would like to extend an open invitation to any one of you
who visit the park to come and visit our school!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST….

Thank you to every one for your support, love and care and
for giving so abundantly! We can see the difference in the
kids, they have hope and help for a future as bright
as the Kalahari Sun!

Tsamma Land Greetings!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much Jannie and Vanessa and Dinah :gflower:

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 am 

:clap: great work
I like you Dinah :
Quote:
Al skel ek ook so baie is dit net omdat ek lief is vir hulle en wil he hulle moet beter presteer, want ek glo geen ouer se hart sal so bly wees as om ‘n goeie retort te ontvang ne.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:gflower: Dankie Dinah vir al jou harde werk. :D

We'll be on our way to KTP in 45 days and passing through the Krugersdorp area. If any of you have smaller items that need to go with, you're more than welcome to contact us for transport. That includes Christmas Gifts that we can take with and deliver with ours. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 am 
Guru
Guru

Could you remember the last time you danced in the rain....this short clip shows how the kids appreciate the rain and hail, they just went ballistic and started running and dancing in the rain.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next