SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SusieB wrote:
We did this day trip from Shingwedzi a couple of weeks ago, leaving at gate opening 06:00 and returned easily before gate close at 18:00. We had a quick leg stretch at Babalala on the way and on the way back and hired a skottel and cooked brunch at Pafuri. If you have your yellow ribbon on I'm sure Frank will come and say hello if he's there.

It was a lovely day trip as I had never been that far north before and the landscape up around Pafuri/Crooks corner was so different from the south and very beautiful. It is a long day, but worth it (maybe keep the kids up the night before so they sleep on the way back! :wink: )

I see where Bushbuddies is coming from in general terms of fewer sitings than in the south on this road, however we got lucky and had the best leopard siting (including kill) of our entire 2 week + trip on this road that morning just north of Babalala....so as always you just never know when you will get lucky!

Have a great trip!

NOw i want to know what happened here with the kill? Did you see it happen and what was killed and any pics?? Shingwedzi has probably produced some of our best leopard sightings but dont think ive seen them north of Babalala

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm 

o-dog wrote:

NOw i want to know what happened here with the kill? Did you see it happen and what was killed and any pics?? Shingwedzi has probably produced some of our best leopard sightings but dont think ive seen them north of Babalala

OK just for you....

It started off a a nice siting of the leopard in a dip at the side of the road with a very small pool of water.

There was a fallen log across the water suddenly the leopard lept up and ran across the log, got a pic but not a great one as we weren't prepared for the sudden action.

It disappeared out of sight into some bushes behind the waterhole.
So we waited in hope that it might reappear and give us a second chance. After 10 minutes or so, there was a lot of movement in the bushes.... a few minutes later we were rewarded as the leopard reappeared jumped once again onto the log an ran across with what I now know is a Cane rat in it mouth.

Made our day and perhaps even our trip!! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey SusieB what a fantastic sighting and so well captured, great pics...thanx for sharing :clap:

I had a feeling it was going to be really interesting...so I am glad I enquired :wink: :D

Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

tent dweller wrote:
We always make a point of stopping at Shingwedzi to make breakfast at the day visitors area, it is really well run and the surrounds are really great, lots of bird life and also a real "bush feel"

Did you know that as from dec 2011 the day visitors picnic area was moved to just before the main camp entrance on the right , and there is no longer a view of the river ?
There was excessive congestion around the wht you know as the current / old picnic site , I understand the old one is / will be closed.

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Shingwedzi is awesome!! :clap:

Even with some new upgrades it still retains it's old world bush feeling. :dance:
The first time I ever stayed there, I felt I was in Africa proper!! :thumbs_up:

We are staying there in December, and can't wait! :thumbs_up:

Hoping the restaurant wont serve cold toasties though, as last time we were there Nov 2011 they were awful. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Michael,
We stayed at Shingwedzi 27 and 28 July 2012. LOVELY CAMP. The story about the Lions is true .... quite vocal :D We saw some of the big named Tuskers in the riverbed in front of the Restaurant and there was a Verreaux's Eagle Owl in front of our hut.

Remember the S50 to the "South" of the camp. Here you visit a dry Kanniedood Dam. There is a beautiful bird hide along the way where we saw Kudu and Nyala at the hide, and further on the BEAUTIFUL Grootvlei Dam with Elephants, Tuskers and there was a large herd of Buffs at the same time. The usual impala, Kudu, Kori birds and a fish Eagle. You then carry on to Tihongonyeni where we nearly always see Roan, Tsessebe, Eland, Kori's, Kittlitz's Plover, named Tuskers.

To the North, you can visit Pafuri loop and Picnic area/ Crooks Corner/ Nyala loop, etc and go back to Shingwedzi before gate closing time.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ndloti,
Good to hear from you :D There was not much water in front of the hide, but on the right hand side it looks a bit better. Here are a few photos that we took on 28 July 2012:

To the left when you sit in the hide

Directly in front of the hide

On the right hand side

There were not any birds, but it was a windy day and still early. We saw Nyala, Kudu and Impalas around the hide.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Ndloti,
That photos was indeed taken at the Nyawutsi hide. We did not visit the Kanniedood hide this time.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good morning Bushbuddies,
You can maar go to Shingwedzi. We have been there end of July and saw an abundance of animals. Perhaps we should have written a TR :(

There was a giant eagle owl in the camp , and there were babies as well. We again took nice photos of crested guinea fowl and crowned hornbills. We even found a yellow spotted nicator. What was also nice was the large number of ground hornbills we saw .... there were 9 of them in one of the groups. We found them from Phalaborwe gate up to Pafuri.

Roan, Eland, Tsetse - we found them at Tihongonyeni and Klopperdam. A must is of course is Grootvlei Dam - there was enough water for a large herd of elephants and buffalo to play in the end of July.

Conclution - go and enjoy the North and Shingwedzi :dance: :dance:

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Marijke,
Here are photos I took of a EH3 hut in Shingwedzi end of July this year (27 July 2012). I cannot remember the number but it was near a kitchen and ablution block (63?). You have a lovely view of the plain in front of the units - there are trees with lots of birds and small animal life in them. We also had a Owl in the tree in front of our hut. The restaurant look out on the river and the view is excellent. The room is spacious with three beds, a large cupboard and a basin with hot and cold water. You also get a kettle with mugs and coffee and tea inside the Hut. The freezer/fridge on the stoep is fairly large. This is a camp you always wants to go back to!

:D

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)
:redface: Hi Roaneric, sorry for only replying now :wall: I agree with Vvv! EH3 = 60 to 63. :thumbs_up:
You will love it. :dance:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Post subject: Re: Swimming pool at Shingwedzi Restcamp
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:10 pm 

Hi there and welcome!

Have a look Here
Its not # 30 but next door and can maybe give you a idea of what they are like.

and a Video clip

Also if you have a read Shingwedzi Camp you might pick up some info re the swimming pool.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Back from our lovely trip to Shingwedzi! 8) Even though it was extremely dry - had some nice sightings. See my TR for more... :whistle:

Just wanted to know. On the Kanniedood road, South of Shingwedzi, there is this stone underneath a tree there:

Does anybody know what the story is here? Who Brankey was? :hmz:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There was adiscussion on it recently on this forum ...

Here it is :

search.php?keywords=Who+was+Bran+Key+&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=48&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:45 pm 

Ingwhite wrote:
1. What are the 5 sleeper cottages 2 singles and 3 beds in loft like? any recommendations here?
2. Has anyone had any luck with the long s50/s106 loop? Not sure if it has a name, is it worth it?
Thanks

My family stayed in one of the 5 bedded bungalows last year and found them to be fine for what they needed, there were 3 beds downstairs and 2 up in the loft.
The ladder up to the loft is quite steep so would not recommend the elderly or not too agile to attempt it, especially coming down in the dark! :wink:
But for the youngsters its fine!

We drove all the way up the S50 called the Dipeni Road, from Mopani Camp, in Feb this year and altho we didn't see a lot of animals, loved the peace and quiet of the road, think we only saw 3 other cars the entire length.
There is a wonderful view site called Shibavantsengela Lookout that gives one an amazing view of miles and miles of the park.
We had a enjoyable time parked up on the Grootvlei dam wall, watching 2 ellies having a bath and play time in the water.
Enjoy.

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next