Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: SurfCindy Moms and 'Mites on a Mission in KNP Sep '12
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I cannot begin to describe how excited I am to be writing this report
a) its my first proper TR
b) after a very long 5 month wait, one that was suppose to be 6 - 8 weeks, we have finally received our passports today, 2 days before flying....now that is what I call cutting it fine :big_eyes:

Well after all the planning, booking flights & accommodation, paying deposits, changing plans and then paying in full, the M & M's (moms & mites) are a couple of days away from our mission to KNP.
What's the mission, I hear you ask?
MISSION: To spot as many animals, great and small, as possible and to enjoy nature 100%

This mission is a birthday gift to our moms (I think the jewellery, perfume and spa gifts have been overdone) so my SO and I thought we would do something different, a trip to Kruger. I just hope that the kitty cats will come out and wish them for their special day

As mentioned this is my first TR and after reading all the wonderful travel tales on the forums, I hope I can only do half as good a job. Our mission includes 7 glorious nights in KNP (1 Pretoriuskop, 2 Skukuza, 2 Lower Sabie and 2 Satara) and our wishlist includes cheetah, serval, pangolin, AWC, caracal and of course the regulars, lions, leopard, wild dogs, bataleur and martial eagles. But we really are excited just to see anything......no expectations!

I am looking forward to sharing it all the laughter and tears, the good and bad, and the large and small. So with that said..............WHO IS ONBOARD?

Post subject: Re: Moms and 'Mites on a Mission in KNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:01 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for joining us billyf and PNF

The bus is packed and ready to go. Does everyone onboard have their

*ID books/passports & wildcards - so we are allowed in the gates
*Ouma rusks, biltong & guava rolls - for snacks along the way (I am glad to see we have lots of popcorn)
*Amarula. klippies, castle and four cousins wine - to quench our thirst
*Amimal spotting glasses
*Cameras and binoculars - to see those far away sightings
*Animal & Bird ID books - I might need some help with identifications
*BIG BIG Smiles

oh and I almost forgot the YR

Anything else?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 1: THE MITES HAVE LANDED

The mites finally touched down in OR Tambo. It felt good to have our feet on African soil. The Moms greeted us with shrieks of joy and happiness and there were BIG hugs all the way round ...... We were on our way to Kruger!!!! First we had to collect our car. Standing next to the Moms in the queue it dawned on me how white I was... a tan was definitely a MUST! Unfortunately it would have to wait, it looked like we had brought the UK weather with us, clouds, grey skies and rain. After squeezing all the luggage into the car (for those of you that have never done rental before, becareful, it would appear that the rule of the camera adding 10ls must apply to cars too, as the pictures online made the car look ALOT bigger than what it was.
We were finally ready to leave, we knew it was going to be a long drive so we made our first stop at Wimpy (YAY, I won the Steers vs Wimpy vs Spur debate though I think I had some held from the aeroplane food department as my SO was desperate to get some "decent grub" in him)

Sitting at Wimpy
DSC07184 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The rest of the drive was filled with chatting, laughter and catching up, oh and the small emergency of a flat tyre but we quickly sorted that out. Upon reaching Nelspruit we stopped for our big food shop, it was going to be a week of meat fest and my SO and I were so excited to get our hands on South African chops, steaks, sosaties and boerewors etc etc. I must say I was slightly disappointed with the meat selection at the shops and should we not have been pressed for time, we would have definitely stopped at a butcher but we made do with what we had and continued to the park gate. We checked in after getting slightly lost as there were no signs for the gate and started making our way to Pretoriuskop

Checking in African style
DSC07188 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We all had a bet on what would the first animal sighting be and the stakes were high .... a round of ice-creams. Giraffe, zebra, kudu and elephant were all decided upon (rules stated you were not allowed to choose impala). It turned out we were all losers as the first sighting of the mission was a waterbuck. The drive to camp also included impala, giraffe, grysbok and rhino

I was so close to winning the bet, 2nd sighting was this guy eating.
IMG_3151 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After being assigned our bungalow

SO opening the door
IMG_3155 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

we quickly unpacked and got ready for our first 2012 braai
IMG_3156 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Nothing beats the sound of a crackling fire, the smell of meat and the dancing yellow flames all under the African sky. Day 1 came to an end with all of us standing around the fire braaing marshmallows.
I got into bed excited and happy and wondered what tomorrow would bring us!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello to all the new bodies on the bus

DAY 2: IT'S RAINING, IT'S POURING

I had set my alarm the night before but there was no need, the excitement of being in the bush had me awake way before the beep beep beep of my phone. I took in all the sounds of the new day, the animals calling after a nights adventures, the birds chirping their greetings, the leaves and trees blowing in the early morning breeze and the DRIP DRIP DRIP of water :hmz: Had someone left a tap on??????? :whistle: After further investigation, I discovered it was rain, and it wasnt a slight drizzle :wall: :wall: :wall: Well we weren't going to let the weather dampen our spirits. After making the coffee and ensuring we had our box of ouma rusks, we parked ourselves at the gate and waited for it to open. Due to the miserable weather, we had no spectacular African sunrise but we were still excited for what lay ahead of us on the road to Lower Sabie. We decided to drive to Skukuza and then to Afsaal and then on to Lower Sabie, along the way we saw giraffe, zebra, impala. We also saw some ellies

IMG_3196 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3182 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

and some beautiful male kudus

IMG_3189 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3190 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

It didn't look like the weather was going to let up and the game was becoming scarce. This poor little monkey family sat huddled together in the tree, in the pouring rain, not displaying any of their usual mischevious antics

IMG_3164 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We made a stop at Transport Dam but there wasn't much except these Egyptian Geese. It would seem that even the birds were hiding in the miserable weather

IMG_3204 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3205 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We were all slowly but surely starting to lose hope, so we decided to stop for at Afsaal for a late breakfast/early lunch. We trudged through mud and rain, got our gas bottle and took all the breakfast goodies out the cooler box. Despite the wet, we were not going to let anything stop us from having a skottle breakfast

IMG_3199 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After filling our tummies and feeling alot warmer, we decided to hit the road again. Would our luck change this afternoon????

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 2: IT'S RAINING, IT'S POURING...CONTINUED

With our tummies full and feeling alot warmer we continued on our mission. We decided to take the H2-2 and then make our way to the S114. We had previously had good sightings on this road so tried our luck again and boy oh boy did it deliver.
First here are some of the sights we saw along the way on the H2-2

A wet fish eagle
IMG_5671 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A herd with a few tinyphants crossing the road
IMG_3192 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This guy stopped for a quick pose
IMG_5677 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We turned onto the S114 in great anticipation, hoping our luck was about to change. We drove and drove and still nothing, not even the usual impies. I spotted a car in the distance, with an almight impressive YR but they weren't moving....what could they have seen. We made our way towards them when all of a sudden I saw spots in the bush. "LEOPARD" I shouted, my SO slammed on the breaks so hard I almost got whip lash. After calming myself down, I realised it wasn't a leopard...............it was a cheetah (I blame the missID on excitement :slap: rookie error), and right next to the road. A first for me in Kruger. Our first Kitty cat had come to wish the moms for their birthday. Thank goodness I had ears to stop my smile going right around my ears, I was so happy I had finally seen a cheetah and could tick it off my wishlist. I looked over to my SO and it was then that I realised the impressive YR was parked next to us. After very quick introductions (after all the spots was on the move and quickly) it was nice to meet Hilda and Barry. They had been following the cheetah down the road for some time, we decided to do the same. The rain was coming down quite hard and the cheetah was moving quickly so photos were difficult but managed to get a few

IMG_5682 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

She finally moved off the road
IMG_5692 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

100_5327 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

100_5328 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We were the only 2 cars with the cheetah and could not believe our luck. Barry and Hilda continued and we were left alone. After quite some time she moved off into the bush

100_5325 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We met another car and informed them that we just seen a cheetah, she was still in the bush. I could see their excitement and their eager eyes danced around trying to find the cat but she had disappeared. I felt so bad for them and could relate to their frustration. Its so annoying when another car tells you about the sighting you have just missed but I guess that what they mean when they talk about being in the right place at the right time. It never seizes to amaze me how quickly the bush can change.

With our hearts pumping with adrenaline, we continued in the cold and wet to Lower Sabie. Before checking in we made a quick stop at Sunset Dam

This croc had had enough of the rain
IMG_5701 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A hippo reminding us how BIG his teeth are
IMG_5718 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A yellow billed stork fishing
IMG_3248 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3249 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

With us still pumped up from our cheetah sighting, we checked into Lower Sabie, made ourselves comfortable and settled in for the night. The river was slightly quiet and the hippo grunts were few and far between but we were just glad to be there. Our task for the next day's mission was to be up and out the gate ASAP.

Last edited by SurfCindy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 3: HIDE & SEEK

The M & M's were summoned to the gate at 6 this morning. The first route of today's mission was the Skukuza to Lower Sabie road, also known as Leopard Highway. We were hoping it was going to live up to it's name. We started our task under cloud cover but couldn't complain as conditions were at least dry. We made a stop at Sunset Dam to have our coffee and rusks. What better way to start the day than to sit at the dam and watch African Spoonbills, Marabou storks, yellow billed storks and listen to the grunts of the hippos as they splash in the water. We were so engrossed with what was in front of us, I didn't notice the sun breaking through. With the rays shining through, we continued on our path.

Along the way we were accompanied by

Brown hooded kingfisher
IMG_5784 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

In another tree, was it's mate drying themself off from yesterday's rain
IMG_3280 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Giraffe having some breakfast
IMG_5774 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We almost missed this little chap, he was so well camouflaged
100_5348 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Hippos along the far bank
IMG_3310 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Not too far away the crocs were out soaking up the warm morning sun
IMG_3306 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

and our first of the BIG 5 for the day
IMG_3303 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We saw some cars stopped ahead, could another kitty cat be waiting to say hi to us?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome aboard Trrp-trrrrrrr, glad to have you with us

DAY 3: HIDE & SEEK ...... CONTINUED

Soooooooo were there cats ahead?????

To use the words "unfortunately not" would be incorrect as I was delighted to see two hyaenas in the road finishing off last nights dinner. We couldn't quite make out what as was on the menu but it looked like warthog

IMG_3282 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3283 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3286 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

It was fascinating to watch the interaction between these two predators. The one almost appeared submissive to the other but you could just see, was itching to get a piece. Each time she neared closer, the greedy one bared her teeth and reminded the other who was boss and to rub salt into the wound, would lick her lips and continue eating

100_5342 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

100_5343 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3294 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

With our own stomachs growling, we continued to Skukuza's day visitors area for some brunch. We had some uninvited guests join us but it was a pleasant treat. This was a first for us, a black collared barbet

IMG_5759 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3333 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3331 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We made a quick stop at Lake Panic, but the hide was very crowded and unfortunately some people did not know how to use their bush voices. I managed to get a few quick snaps before we left

The resident Goliath Heron, it looked like it had just gone for a dip
IMG_3364 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This croc was making it's way quickly through the water. I couldn't ever remember seeing crocs at Lake Panic before but this trip, there seemed to be plenty. I wondered if the Jan floods had anything to do with it
IMG_3366 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The little terrapin popped his head out to see what was happening in the world
DSC07204 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

African darter with a keen eye on the water, scouting out his next catch
IMG_5769 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

On the way out we saw these impalas rutting. There was lots of barking and grunting and quite entertaining
IMG_3377 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After what was a quiet BIG 5 day so far, we headed back to camp, we had a Sunset Drive booked. Despite what some people might call a disappointing game spotting day, we were delighted with all the feathered friends we had come across. Besides we still had one more chance to look for our kitty cats

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 3: HIDE & SEEK ................... CONTINUED

We met in the car park for our Sunset Drive. Dingaan, our guide, introduced himself. We left in hope that the drive would deliver some great sights for our mission.
Our feathered friends weren't quite finished showing themselves

Grey Go-Away bird
IMG_5731 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

White fronted bee-eater
IMG_5745 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We also saw some kudu,a rather large buffalo breeding herd and a giraffe eating some dinner
IMG_3388 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The golden dusk light was sitting nicely on these impalas, if you actually stop and take the time to look at them, they are truly beautiful antelopes
IMG_5843 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3392 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We stopped for a traffic block (we were hoping that it was going to be one of the BIG 5, but it was nice to see this leopard tortoise. It was the first of our LITTLE 5 sightings)
IMG_3383 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After he crossed the road, we continued to make our way. The light was fading fast. A black back jackal was resting before the night's adventures (not great lighting but not very often I see them still, normally they are moving so quickly through the bush)
IMG_3397 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

I thoroughly enjoy the sunset drives. It almost feels like you are in a new place, it never ceases to amaze me how different the bush is during the day compared to the night. When darkness settles in, your senses are heightened. Your ears prick up for every sound and the eyes are strained for any movement. However it would appear that the cats had successfully won today's round of hide & seek.

Before we arrived back at camp we were treated to this prickly guy. I managed to get these pictures before the ball of rattling quills shuffled away
IMG_3400 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3401 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

My SO made a nice fire and braaied some boerewors for dinner. We all sat under the starry sky, eating our boerewors rolls and chatted about our day. Todays mission was successful, even though the cats didn't come out we still had great sightings of other creatures.
Tomorrow's task: LAKE PANIC

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 4: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

It was DAY 4 of our mission and we were yet to still see a lion. Would our luck change today?
Well I took our first beautiful morning sunrise as a good luck omen, nothing is more special than waking up to scenes like this

IMG_3413 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Our planned route was to head up to Lake Panic, however while we were queuing at the gate at 05:45 we met a couple who had seen a leopard take down an impala on the S128 the previous evening. The leopard had hoisted the kill up a tree but they didnt see too much as it was just before gate closing time :wall: :wall: :wall:
Our curiosity was too great so we took a detour to Lake Panic via the S128 to see if by some slim chance the leopard was still there.

I just love it when you look back along the bridge and see Lower Sabie camp, beautiful views
IMG_3423 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This guy was posing nicely for us
IMG_3460 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Along the S128 we saw:

Zebra
IMG_3427 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A beautiful LBR and its mate (as often as what you see them, they are still one of my favourite birds, their colouring is fantastic)
IMG_3432 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3442 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

but unfortunately NO leopard. We decided to make our way to Lake Panic, who knows the resident leopard might be waiting for us :whistle: :whistle: . Along the way we were accompanied by giraffe, elephant, vervet monkeys, kudu and wildebeest. We were also fortunate to see 4 of these stunning birds looking for food. They were moving so quickly unfortunately most my photos came out blurred, or they were hiding behind branches and twigs
IMG_3490 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This tiny one was having a morning drink (again the twigs and branches were there, but was still pretty special to sit and watch)
IMG_5793 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We pulled into the parking of Lake Panic, there was one other car. It looked like it would be a much quieter experience and more enjoyable experience than the day before. Let's hope the sightings would be good

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the lovely comments

DAY 4: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.......CONTINUED

As we walked into LP hide, this lovely sight greeted us

IMG_5801 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This is what makes LP so special, if you just wait and watch there is always lots of activity

This terrapin came out to assist us with our sightings and did some spotting of his own
IMG_5797 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

I wonder if he saw all this

Hippos on the far side of the lake
IMG_3513 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

An African Jacana walking through the water
IMG_5815 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The resident grey herons certainly didn't let us down
100_5382 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_5878 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_5892 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_5899 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_5909 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

But the highlight of the expedition was this Darter catching a fish for breakfast

IMG_3541 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3532 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

IMG_3530 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Feeling a bit peckish ourselves, we left and made our way to Skukuza golf course for brunch

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DAY 4: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.....CONTINUED

We met up with my brother and his SO at Skukuza Golf course and had a lovely brunch. The scenery was beautiful, it's amazing to think that there is this big golf course amongst all this natural, wild bush. We spent longer chatting than planned but the catch up was well worth it. We said our good byes and headed to Skukuza camp, where we checked in. We unpacked the car, stretched our legs and had a bit of a laze around camp. We were contemplating staying in but the temptation of an afternoon drive was too great so we got back into the car and headed out camp for one more drive. We decided to take the S65, and then make our way to the H3.
Along the way we saw zebra, giraffe, bushbuck, a sidestriped jackal that ran so quickly didnt get a chance to get the camera open and vervet monkeys

IMG_3550 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We were still really enjoying all our bird sightings, this black bellied bustard came to greet us, the sound it made was amazing, I did not think such a loud noise could come from something so small

IMG_5960 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

We turned onto the H3 and didn't get that far before our 2nd lot of kitty cats came out to wish our mothers for their birthday this trip, and what a sighting they gave us

The two lovebirds, we were hoping for some action but did not get any :D
IMG_3597 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The third wheel
IMG_5835 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After all the flirting, the lady decided she needed a drink
100_5391 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

but where ever she went the male followed
IMG_3617 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After spending ages with these majestic creatures and quite aware that time was not on our side we made our way back to camp. It looked like our beautiful sunrise had given us the luck we were looking for, just before we got back to camp we had the pleasure of seeing this little hyaena at its den

DSC07215 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

but the light was fading fast and time was a ticking so we left the den and made our way back to camp. Still pumped with adrenalin from the great afternoon drive, we cracked open a bottle of four cousins and celebrated the great days sightings.

DSC07221 by rcferreiras, on Flickr
(excuse the hair, it looks like it hasn't been brushed but I suppose thats what open windows and the blowing wind does to your hair :lol: )

It just goes to show that you should always take every opportunity you can when in the bush, imagine if we had stayed in camp, look what we would have missed out on. We had a great dinner and went to bed excited for the next day, would our luck continue?

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks to all for support and comments, it is much appreciated.

DAY 5: BIRTHDAY BONANZA

We started our day singing a beautiful rendition of Happy Birthday to MIL but there was no time for breakfast in bed. We had places to go, things to do and sights to see. The birthday mom was in charge today and the first birthday request was sunrise at LP (a treat for all of us, I am not ashamed to admit that I am addicted to that place). It would appear that the lake put on its best show for us, sensing that today was a celebration. The setting and atmosphere was serene, we sat back and just enjoyed the sights that greeted us.

Hippos
IMG_5865 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Black crake
IMG_5877 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A buffalo weaver (our 2nd sighting for the little 5)
IMG_5886 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Water thick-knee
IMG_5913 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

A pied kingfisher with an early catch
IMG_5929 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Green-backed heron
IMG_5942 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

This little cutie pie stuck his head out
IMG_3684 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

Grey heron giving the lake the morning news
IMG_3702 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

The sounds wasnt so good under the water, so this guy came out to listen
IMG_3721 by rcferreiras, on Flickr

After a fantastic start to the morning, and many great birthday "presents", we decided to continue and make our way to Tshokwane

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]