Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: barryel 11 Lucky Packets,Forumites & Crazy People–KNP visit
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2012)
If I would ask you as fellow Forumites to compare a day in Kruger with something in daily life, one would surely get various comparisons as a result of personal life experiences, mostly from childhood.

My and Hilda’s daily sightings during our visit had me thinking back of the days when mom or dad bought you a lucky packet and how exciting it was to open it and to find what special charm (sometimes more than one) was inside, including the variation of sweets that came with it.

During our September visit we had eleven (11) lucky packets that Kruger gave us to open and enjoy.

Although I am the narrator this time around, the photos posted will be from both of us.

Friday morning, 7 Sept at eight (8) we booked the 4x4’s (Pekinese dog children) into the Berg en Dal kennels (they also think they are in Kruger) before packing is done at home.

We left at 04:15 on Saturday the 8th, had our brekkie at Malelane Wimpy by 08:00 and entered Kruger through Malelane gate by 09:15 after receiving our eleven lucky packets.

What will the first lucky packet reveal to us………… :hmz:

Last edited by barryels on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Eleven Lucky Packets, Forumites and Crazy People – KNP v
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 am 

FAC Member (2013)
With the yellow ribbon securely fixed to the right side mirror and cameras ready for action we set off on the first stage of our journey (H3 to Afsaal, then the H3 and H1-1 to Skukuza for a body brake) on our way to Satara for our first four nights’ stay.

I presume that all mites, like us, compete to announce the first sighting of a trip. I am seldom on the winning side, but this was always a good omen in the past when Hilda is declared the winner.

Our first sighting this year was this Wahlberg’s Eagle

Most of us will ignore the next sighting because this is what most of us will see as normal. If you really study them closely you will find them to be quite fascinating.
Here is the boss and his family. What a handsome guy indeed.

This daddy longlegs was only interested in gathering as much as possible of the leaves high up in the tree.

Our first wartie of the trip is testimony that the grass this year did not lie down during winter as in the past. Sorry VVV, this lucky packet did not produce the real McCoy.

At the Mlambane bridge we came across these helmeted guinea fowl.

One of the most elegant antelope in the park is our friend the kudu and his partner

It was time for a cuppa and parked in the shade of a tree. While drinking our coffee we see a Cape vulture, looking:
Left

Straight forward

And right

We were still busy discussing the vulture’s behaviour when a white Suzuki with a yellow ribbon went passed us without stopping. We chased the culprit down and it was none other than WendyA in her new karretjie (vehicle). This was mite number 1 for the trip.

On our way between Afsaal and Skukuza it was really quiet and reminds one that Kruger is no zoo. We only saw some giraffe and waterbuck.

After a quick stop at Skukuza we were off on the second stage of our route to Satara. We took the H1-2 to Tshokwane.

At the first low water bridge at Skukuza we met up with one of the hippies and her young one.

Then we came across this little common duiker.

And this African grey hornbill and his friend the European roller

At Leeupan we came across this little steenbok that made the patch of field his own. Not even bothered by our presence so close by

Just look at the big brown eyes

At Leeupan itself we found this little Wood Sandpiper, patrolling a puddle in search for something to eat.

We arrive at Tsokwane and quite happy to see normal activities again after the devastation during January 2012.

Although we did not have any charm from the lucky packet yet at this point in time, we were just happy to be in the place we love most.

The last leg to Satara coming up soon………

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
DAY ONE CONTINUED………

Well rested after our visit at Tshokwane we were ready to dip into the lucky packet in search of our charms :D. I could not believe that we were at Tshokwane already and still not a single member of the Big 5 yet :tongue: .

Our first sighting was a family of kudu ladies and a beautiful bull in the N’waswitsontso riverbed. Don’t know if it is my imagination, but it seems that the numbers in kudu increased over the years :hmz: .

And then another little steenbok

This guy was sitting all on his own, maybe contemplating what silly stuff to do next :hmz:

Mazithi dam was all quiet, except for an Egyption Geese couple foraging for food

The next dip into the lucky packet revealed yet another kudu bull, all by his lonesome

Along the way to Kumana dam we came across another kudu family and some zebra. Kumana dam was also real quiet with only a few Comb Ducks

And some waterbuck grazing on the riverside of the road

At a natural waterhole that developed as a result of the recent rain that fell in the park we found four buffs making use of the last mud that was still available

We also detect a huge wound on one of the buff’s left side. The damage was maybe caused during a scuffle that occurred a few days ago :hmz:

Further along the road we came across a herd of about fifty (50) buffs. Quite an impressive bunch

Along the way we came across this leopard tortoise trying to get to some greenery between the dry bushveld grasses. Will this be the closest that we will get to a real leopard……..

The lucky packet is getting empty at a rate of knots and still no charm in sight :tongue: . We stopped at the Shisweni river bridge to photograph a grey go-away-bird that can be quite funny most of the time :lol:

I asked Hilda to dip deep into the bag to see if she can find a charm this time around and she came up with one of the smallest charms you can find in a lucky packet :shock:

It is to us one of the most adorable little owls on earth :clap: . By following the go-away-bird we stumbled across this:

The position that the pearl spotted owlet was sitting in, clearly shows the back of the owlet’s head that may confuse one to think that it is actually the eyes.

Will there be more charms in the packet :think:

Just before the H7 we found our first ellie of the trip. A little bit far from the road.

The day’s lucky packet is close to empty now and only one charm for the day (klein shock). A few hundred metres from the Satara gate we found some Blue Wildebeest

This guy was making use of the last daylight to fill his tummy

We stopped at the reception area to book in and I just could not refrain from dipping into the lucky packet again and came up with this

This was none other than the resident (most photographed) little African Scops Owl and another charm for us :D
We got our keys to bungalow 172 on the perimeter fence and after visiting the shop for charcoal and ice we were off to unpack and settle in for the next four nights. Just as Hilda wanted to put the lucky packet away she felt one last occupant of the packet and when she took it out, yet another charm :thumbs_up: This little Bennett’s woodpecker right at the entrance to our bungalow, welcoming us

Seems this was a birdie lucky packet :hmz:

Whilst unpacking Hilda announced that the fridge is not working (shock). After a long day on the road I was not very keen in sorting out this issue, knowing via the forum that to resolve such a problem is not easy and fast as you would like it. I went straight to reception to report the fridge. I found the guy at reception really helpful and reported the fridge immediately.

I went back to the bungalow with the above in mind, however it was only 5 minutes later that the maintenance team arrived with a replacement fridge. Hats off to the maintenance team of Satara for the quick service rendered.

After a nice braai under the bushveld stars we were off to bed in anticipation of what the next lucky packet might have in store for us ……

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Two of your pictures don't show my dear SO! Kindly check what's going on? :hmz:

Foxy! I can't believe that you saw our "serious" YR and didn't come to talk to us! :twisted: Were you flying a YR? Because we didn't see any at Satara?

The Bennett's Woodpecker was a first for us and so beautiful! I dropped everything I had in my hands to try and get a picture of him before he flew away! :D

So glad you all enjoy our "charms" in the lucky packet with us! I am currently reliving it through this trip report! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 am 

FAC Member (2013)
9th Sept 2012 – Day 2

Today’s route will be from Satara to Tshokwane. Then to Orpen dam via the Orpen Loop, on to the S35 past Wolhuter’s lion attack plaque, up north with the S37 to N’wanetsi dam. From there we will drive along the Satara-N’wanetsi Road (H6) and then up the H1-3 back to Satara.

Took this daybreak photo from the stoep whilst getting ready for the day ahead

We were packed and ready with lucky packet no 2 at the gate by 05:50. We were the 12th car in the Satara train. When the gate opened it was like the start of a horse race at New Market, everybody juggling for a place to hit the S100 first. By the time we reached Shitsakana bridge we were 24th in line.

Our first two sweets delivered kudus and the backside of a Waterbuck

We then came across a mommy giraffe (mommy longlegs) and her youngster. It was however too dense for a photo opportunity.
I decided to do a quick detour to the Sweni waterhole and only fond this blue wildebeest all alone.

With only general game found till then, I asked Hilda to shake the lucky packet and try to find at least one charm and indeed she had the following charm in her hand

We felt quite happy that the packet delivered at least one special charm already. Along the way we came across some more giraffes, blue wildebeest and zebras. Then at last a clear shot at some warties in the open. Hope VVV finds this TR at some point in time, because this is especially for you madam

At Nkaya Pan we found these Egyptian Geese foraging for something to eat.

Between Nkaya Pan and Kumana Dam we came across a group of zebbies and blue ones, keeping each other company.

At Kumana Dam we ran into the resident troop of baboons that can be entertaining and funny most of the time.

The leader did what a leader does best

the youngsters were busy with training in tree climbing

and mommy baboon that looked after a baby that only a mother can love

With the troop to entertain us and the dam to keep us occupied, we had our on the road cuppa with rusks as per normal.

At this point in time I told Hilda that she should dig really deep into the lucky packet and hopefully come up with another charm, however only sweeties that resembles Grey Heron and Egyptian Geese at Maziithi Dam with no pic’s to show and kudu and impala along the N’waswitsontso river, also with no great photo opportunity immersed from the packet.

While we drove along in silence (happens seldom) I put my hand in the lucky packet and low and behold, something furry was in my hand and not a sweetie. Another charm at last. We were only three cars at the sighting, however it was like a “where is the leopard” sighting. This is quite true, because when I and Hilda went through the pictures at home she asked me what I photographed here. So here was my best

Quite happy with our second charm we were off to Tshokwane. It was Hilda’s turn to dip into the lucky packet and with a big smile on her face she also pulled out something furry this time. This was another special charm.

It was two cheetahs busy with their breakfast

And mister vulture spying from the top of a tree

With the cheetahs very uneasy about the vultures presence

With total happiness in our hearts and smiling faces, we pulled into Tshokwane for a rest and wondering what will be next out of the lucky packet.

To be continued……

Last edited by barryels on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 am 

FAC Member (2013)
After an enjoyable brunch, we were ready for the next stage of the drive via Orpen Dam. The first we came across were these warties.

And then two daddy longlegs, testing the leaves on the trees

We did a quick stopover at Orpen Dam, which seems to be much cleaner than in the past

On our way along the Orpen loop, we found an ellie that looked like a maybe tusker. Another charm for the day.

We also saw some ground hornbills and kudu deep in the bush with no opportunity to take pic’s. Hilda took a photo of a far away snake eagle

We then visited the Wolhuter lion attack plaque where the tree that he climbed in to safe himself from certain death is now preserved by means of a concrete base, which was not the case in February when we were there too. If you look at the base of the tree, it is unbelievable how he could find shelter and survive from the lion’s attack.

The Plague that actually refers to the tree in which he took shelter and the position of the plague is where he killed the one lion.

Just as we turned onto the S37, we met an ostrich couple.

Further along the road we came across a few zebbies, with one that has a huge wound on its left rump as proof of a narrow escape of some sort. This could only be the result of a lion attack I presume :hmz: .

We also came across an ellie pair that was on their way to one of Leachy’s bronzing factories.

The next sight on the S37, was this little steenbok which is one of my favorites.

Hilda picked another charm from the packet. This time we were in the way of a huge grey mass that had us in reverse for approximately 500 meters. If not already, he might become a tusker soon.

Our next stop was the Sereni hide where we were greeted by:
a saddle-billed stork

and a heron

We turned onto the H6 and on our final stretch to camp already, and the lucky packet had still much sweeties left and maybe charms as well. Hilda decided to give it a good shake and dip her hand into the packet. Another charm at last. This lioness was alone so we presume that she had little ones concealed somewhere.

As we turned right onto the H1-3 back to Satara, out came another charm. This time it was some buffs

This completed our Big Five sightings for the day.

About 500 meters from the turn into Satara camp this little leopard tortoise crossed the road.

When we arrived back at the bungalow there were still a few sweeties in the packet. I took the camera and captured the following birdies:

Cape Glossy Starling

Red-billed Hornbill

And then I found two final charms at the bottom of the packet, which were the following

Brown-headed parrots especially for LQ. I was really cross when I found that I used the wrong camera settings, therefore not even close to perfect :wall: :wall: .

And a Rock Monitor right in front of our bungalow on a serious mission to find food. I had to jump all over the place to get a decent front view of the guy.

Also captured this little tree squirrel

And an African hoopoe pair

Hilda and I discussed the day’s sightings over some ice cold white wine, while I did the braai and she the side dishes. Then a quick shower and into bed to be ready for the next day’s lucky packet opening.

Last edited by barryels on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Time to get on with the trip

10 Sept 2012 – Day 3

With a great night’s sleep behind us, we prepared for another unpredictable day in Kruger. Today’s route was from Satara to the H7, then right onto the S40 and left onto the S12 with a stop at the Girivana water hole. Then along the S12 till we got to the H7 all the way to Orpen gate and back along the H7 and then the H6, S41 and S100 loop back to Satara. Thought it to be a reasonable drive to see what Kruger could surprise us with.

I stood on the stoep, looking at a buff and blue wildebeest train passing by to the Satara water hole with a cuppa in hand, and could not resist taking a photo of a new day unfolding, which looked like this. Can there be anything better??

This was Monday and less crowded when we left camp with our third lucky packet at gate opening time, wondering what charms will be in the packet today. Although the sky was clear, it was quite misty at ground level as these photos shown

Sunrises with a clear indication of mistiness at the bottom of the pic’s

Photos of the veldt on the H7

The first out of camp sighting was this impala family grazing

Our first birdie of the day, waiting for the sun to warm his body was a Burchell’s Coucal

The next item from the packet was a sweetie again. A family of striped horses with a juvenile amongst them.

The moment I doubt Hilda’s ability of pulling out a charm, she did just that.
Our first ellie for the day

Nsemani Dam was as quiet as a graveyard. None to be seen. I did start to doubt the route I chose, however you never know what is around the next bend in the road. It seems that this was a birdie lucky packet again.

First birdie on the S41 was this magpie shrike

Further along the S41 we came across another impala family grazing in the morning sun.

As we turned onto the S12 we found this beautiful Southern White-crowned Shrike scanning the veldt for something to catch

We stopped at the Girivana water hole to see if there were any visitors, but no luck

Along the S12 we found this female Crested Francolin (we think)

An LBR (Heksie?), still decides what he wanted to do during the day.

It seems that there were only birdie sweets in this lucky packet as we came across another LBR

Back onto the H7 towards Orpen gate we saw some kudus but too far for a photo
Our next sighting was this waterbuck chewing whilst crossing the road at his own pace

It was close to 08:30 now and time for our cuppa and rusks. I decided that we will stop at Bobbejaankrans outlook point when Hilda pulled a huge charm from the packet
It was none other than four of the Orpen spotted doggies’ clan that ran towards us in the road. They seemed to be the scouters because none of the others were visible.

With all the excitement gone in about 3 minutes, we stopped at Bobbejaankrans with blood still rushing through our veins as a result of this unbelievable experience.

To be continued………..

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
After a nice cup of coffee and a few cookies we were ready for the rest of the day’s fun. First sighting was this grey mass that we gave a wide birth to cross the road.

Then we came across this dignified ground hornbill at the next viewpoint to Orpen.

It really seems if only the birds wanted to show themselves today, because the next sighting was this White-backed vulture that scanned the area for something to get his beak into.

We hit the open savanna near Orpen gate and only two sweeties could be opened with the showing of this little steenbok

and some warties for VVV and Pumbaa.

We had a quick stop at Orpen gate to have a body break and something to drink. On our way we found this Pyrgomorphid Grasshopper

Followed by some kind of snake?? Crossing the road

At this point we neared the area where the river and road run close and parallel to each other, with some big trees on both sides of the road. It was time for brunch and I drove close to the shoulder of the road on the river side to park in the shade of one of the big trees. While I was busy parking, Hilda pulled out another charm from the lucky packet.

This time it was one of our (what the@$&#*, 3 second leopard sightings), with a leopard in the riverbed, busy crossing the last few meters of sand before it disappeared into the undergrowth. We did not even have time to pick up the camera for a photo as evidence. We sat under the tree to have our brunch and hope that Mr spottie will re-appear, but to no avail.
The following was a Steppe Eagle I presume (Any help for ID?)

The drive became very quiet, mainly due to a midday temperature of 37 degrees Celsius in the shade :tongue: .

We did find this perfect specimen of a young kudu bull

Then Mr Giraffe with a red–beak oxpecker on its back appeared on the side of the road.

Proof that it was really hot is the fact that although it looks like the oxpecker did sing a song, it was actually struggling to keep cool in the heat with its beak wide open.

Mr Longlegs was also not very impressed by the weather and/or the oxpecker.

Hilda pulled out another charm and this time around it was somebody with a little white car with a tiny yellow ribbon that was on its way towards us.

It was none other than Wildlife4ever-Roy on his way to Maroela. We had quite a nice chat and Hilda gave Roy a brand new yellow ribbon for the rest of the trip. This was forumite No 2 for this trip.
At Nsemani Dam we found these hippo’s lying like rocks in the water

And at the opposite side of the dam, two giraffe that were busy filling their water tanks for a long journey.

Did you guys know that the way in which we as people act and react, also happens on Animal Planet??

We encountered a few funny animal behavioral incidents during this trip that was quite entertaining that Hilda and I wanted to share.

The first incident was when we stopped on the Nwanetsi Bridge; we found this interesting interplay between ellies in the riverbed and our interpretation thereof:

The two “engineers” (a big guy and his small assistant) decided that a dam should be built at a spot that they choose.

Then the digging started in all earnest by the contractors

And finally the “Head engineer” arrived for the final inspection and touchup of the dam wall; and

off he went with big strides to inform the community the dam is finished

The second incident of the day occurred at Sonop waterhole where these two hooded vultures earned their charm from the lucky packet. Both wanted a drink as a result of the extraordinary heat that prevailed and the following funny actions had us laughing out loud.

The one guy lost his footing as a result of the windy conditions and ended up head first into the water

He then regained his posture, needless to say completely drenched

And the embarrassment by what happened can be seen below where he try to hide his face

We also met some warties at the waterhole

And then found this little gem on the H6

We only saw some ellies on the S41 side of the Nwanetsi River

We then turned onto the S100 for our final stint of the day. We just don’t have any luck on the S100 with reference to any big game.

Apart from the normal game we photographed some warties and waterbuck.

As per normal I had to clear the lucky packet by means of sightings in camp. I did find the following characters to close off day 3

Black collard barbet

Burchell’s starling

Burchell’s starling caught bathing

And finally a Grey go-away-bird

The wind picked up quite a bit at late afternoon and when the guys started their fires I could see some are going to eat their meat a shade or to rarer than used to. I learned my lesson through the years and am using a weber’s rotisserie ring that fits perfectly onto the braai skottel and keep the heat centered within.

We had a nice dinner of mash, mixed veg and fillet, before we went to bed happy with the day’s sightings and wondering what day 4’s lucky packet will have in store for us.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 am 

FAC Member (2013)
11 Sept 2012 – Day 4

Today’s route was from Satara via the S100 to the Gudzanidam. Then up the S41 towards the S90 and left into the S90 until it joins the H1-4 tarred road. Then South with the H1-4 past Satara to Tshokwane via the H1-3. From Tshokwane to Leeupan and then all the way back to Satara along the H1-3.

There was still a strong wind blowing outside and it was totally overcast. This morning we were woken by lions roaring . This is how I wanted to wake up every day. By six we were out of the gate, with our fourth (4) day’s lucky packet close by.

Will this day be one of those “did not see anything today” day’s that flashed through my mind, when nothing crossed our path until we reached the Shibotwana waterhole on the S100 (my favorite road :tongue: ). Our first sighting was these impala taking advantage of the morning dew on the grass.

Then some blue wildebeest, busy with a meeting to decide where to go for the day.

We then came across this little drongo, not quite awake yet; and

Two vultures sitting together, waiting for any scent they can pick up of a kill that took place overnight.

This was our last sighting on the S100.

We stopped at Gudzani Dam to have some coffee and rusks and scaned the vicinity for something we could report on. The only thing that moved at the dam was this Saddle-billed Stork patrolling the shallow water of the dam.

I also found this Southern yellow-billed hornbill in the bush that the road encircles at the Gudzani Dam.

On our way along the S41 we found these impala next to the road, with this ewe pulling faces at me.

Then these zebbies that totally ignored us and do what they do best.

To get something going I tried my hand at capturing a bateleur in flight, whilst Hilda took a pic of a juvenile Martial Eagle (we think).

We were well on our way to the Gudzani waterhole when we came across these daddy longlegs in the road, with the youngster trying to bend his neck into a (koeksister) curler.

And these striped donkeys on their way to the waterhole.

We were sitting at the waterhole waiting for a charm to surprise us, but to no avail. We only found a water buck, blue wildebeest, impala and giraffes (all in one take) at the waterhole.

We left the waterhole after some time and proceed with the S41. Still no charm for today I mentioned to Hilda. She said that it feels like the next item from the packet will be a charm and how right she was. This might not be that great to some mites that is used to the Big 5 as special sightings, however this one was really special to us. It was the first time ever that we saw a double banded sandgrouse couple with a chick that small. Here are a few photos of our first charm for the day. Could not resist to put up a few.

And last but not least, proud daddy on his own.

It was quite funny that a car from the opposite side pointed out the little steenbok that we also saw and did not see the sandgrouse family till we pointed it out to them.

We saw lots of general game along the S41 and then turned left unto the S90, where we found a huge herd of blue wildebeest and zebbies.

A bit further along the route we found this flock of small birdies (LBJ’s of some sorts???) ID will be welcome please. They just don’t sit still for one moment.

Then we came across Mr Secretary Bird that was really on a mission in the veldt amongst the long grass looking for his pray.

We turned left from the S90 onto the H1-3 and drove straight into a herd of approximately thirty (30) ellies crossing the road. There were lots of babies and young ones within the group. What a great charm from the lucky packet again.

It was now time for a stop at Satara for a body break and something cool to drink for the road ahead.

To be continued……………………..

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Next stage of day 4……….
With everything we need to keep hydrated, we left Satara for Tshokwane with eyes peeled and anything that moves will be shot and reported on.

Our first sighting was none other than a Kruger Law enforcement officer. Just look how friendly they can be when you abide by the rules of the road.

Hilda pulled another charm from the packet. It was a small herd of buffs, next to the road.

A couple in a Merc from the Eastern Cape stopped us to enquire about the yellow ribbon on our Toyota DC. It is quite interesting how many times we were stopped during this trip and questioned about the yellow ribbon. We were quite happy to explain and they were all impressed by what we stand for.

I thought that the next article from the lucky packet will be a sweetie again, but to my astonishment it was another charm. It was a pride of nine (9) lions. It was a really dense area and great pic’s was not possible, however here is proof of their existence.

Although no-one were certain where the whole pride was within the undergrowth, these crazy people were hanging from their vehicle to find the lions which were seen less than five (5) meters from the road. They were reported accordingly.

It was quiet until we passed Kumana Dam and then another huge charm was pulled from the packet. It was obviously the super buff herd of Kruger that we were caught up in. Most of the people with us estimated the herd to be at least a thousand (1 000) plus. They stretched left and right of the road as far as the eye could see. Must say it was quite a spectacle to be part of. Here are a few photos that will hopefully give you an indication of what transpired.

It took us over an hour to get past the herd and while we discussed the sighting, I detect a yellow ribbon on a car from the front. It was Peregrine Falcon and Dassiedelight all the way from the UK. We had a nice chat and they informed us that they will not be able to attend the mini meet that was organized for the 13th at Skukuza. This was the third and fourth mite that we have met during our visit.

The next was a sweetie sighting consisting of this Pumbaa all by his lonesome.

Next was a grey hornbill

Next sighting was a beautiful herd of impala before we had a body break at Tshokwane.

The last stage of day 4 to be continued soon………….

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
It is quite nice to see Tshokwane alive and busy after the January devastation. The following photos are a grim reminder of the water’s height during the floods when you look at the debris.

Next stop was Leeupan where we found this crazy lady thinking that Leeupan should be investigated on foot to the edge of the pan, about fifteen (15) meters from her car. I took the photo just as she returned to her car. She was also reported accordingly.

Leeupan had much less water than during our Feb 2012 visit as posted below

We only saw some black stork and Egyptian geese hanging around.

Just love the little resident steenbok at Leeupan.

Now it is back to Satara for the last stage of day 4.

On the way Hilda pulled out this beautiful charm

Then a kudu sweetie with his impala friend

Just loved this Juvenile African Harrier Hawk?? Entertaining us by looking for something to eat amongst the rocks

We also found this Senegal Lapwing close to the road with the little bee-eater keeping him company on the other side of the road

We always visit the most Southern Baobab during every trip to the south. We found this unique sighting of a kudu carcass, still intact from head to tail

This bushbuck sweetie was photographed just after we crossed the riverbed

This is a photo of the baobab during our Feb 2011 visit in comparison with the same tree during September 2012. Quite astonishing when you compare the two

The rest of the day was quiet with only general game to be seen, until Hilda pulled out another charm from the packet. Lions again and again well camouflaged and no easy photos

Our last charm for the day was this beautiful Bateleur, posing for us.

Another exciting day came to an end and all that had to be done was a nice braai under the stars and into bed to dream about the next day’s lucky packet and what might jump from it. Tomorrow will also be a moving day for us for our next two nights at Pretoriuskop. It will be our first stay over in the camp.

I was about to discard of lucky packet nr 4 when I feel something in the corner of the packet. It was a charm that was stuck in one of the corners.
This little guy came to surprise us with a good night just as we finished up outside. An AWC at the steps of our stoep.

Last edited by barryels on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
12 September 2012 – Day 5
Woke up before 04:00, because it was moving day and I still had to pack the vehicle. Today’s route will be from Satara down to Tshokwane and then via the H1-2 to Skukuza. From there we will take the H1-1 to Pretoriuskop, where we will stay for two nights. We were quite excited, because it will be the first time that we will overnight at Pretoriuskop :hmz: .
It was really cloudy on this day and we could only take this picture as a sunrise
We were ready to leave by 06:10 with day five’s lucky packet shaken but not stirred to ensure that all the charms are not finding themselves at the bottom of the packet.
Our first sighting of the day was some buffs that were still lying down close to the water hole and no great photo opportunity.
The next was this sweetie that did not even lift her head to pose for a farewell picture.
This kudu ewe had also only eating on her mind and totally ignored us as well.
The next sweetie sighting was these baboons that were still huddled together for some warmth against the cold and overcast weather that we had.
And then this guy who had a late night it seemed. Instead of standing guard he nodded off completely
Our next sighting was this beautiful charm. A Tawny Eagle, posing for us.
Then Hilda pulled out another charm. I just love to photograph these parrots.
I guess the next sweetie was a common duiker ram?? We do not see them that often
And then we came across these Pumbaa’s, enjoying the early morning dew on the grass
Might this sweetie be a common duiker ewe? Not sure about that at all?
Then Hilda pulled out one of those charms that we both hate seeing, because we just knew that for us to capture this charm on film is not possible again.
It was our friend the spotty leopard, again dashing across the road in front of the car driving in front of us. By the time we got to where he crossed the road, you could just see him moving in the long grass without us being able to take any photos. We drove along in silence, contemplating what to do to get a picture of this beautiful creature. Without even thinking she put her hand in the packet and pulled out another charm.
This was a golden kitty charm. A male and two females were lying in the shade of some shrubs about 40 meters from the road. They might still be following the buff herd that we saw earlier.
Then we came across this brown snake eagle I think?
We were close to Kumana Dam and time for some coffee and rusks as per normal for this time of the day. There were however no sweeties or charms at the dam this morning.
It feels as if we did not have too many charms thus far on the day, however when we look back on the drive thus far, we actually saw three (3) of the Big 5 already.
We left Kumana and off to Masithi Dam to see what will be there today.
Along the road we came across these warties
and a small group of buffs.
The next charm was a herd of approximately 250 buffs near Masithi Dam. Here are a few drinking water and just standing around.
We also found this Grey Heron at the dam’s edge.
We hope to meet the leopard and cheetah that we saw between Mashiti and Tshokwane a few days ago, but to no avail.
We did however came across these Ground Hornbills
This slender mongoose was captured quite nicely by Hilda.
Just before we reached Tshokwane I captured this Kudu with his family in the N’waswitsontso riverbed.
We stopped at Tshokwane for a leg stretch and to stock up with something to drink till we reach Skukuza.
To be continued.....................

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
My whole reply got deleted via stupid BB :(
Just lurve your TR Barry and hilda :popcorn:
The birdie is a bootiful juvenile bateleur, and he is a magnificent specimen :mrgreen:
Why do the leppies not pose for a kiekie :naughty: I will have to gooi a few potions your way next time :wink:
And my favorite: the golden kitties!!!! :dance: just can't get enough of them!
Oulike vrakkies :thumbs_up:
And I can't wait for what you experienced at Pretoriuskop...

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:08 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Legs stretched and a quick photo or two of a little tree squirrel, we were off down the H1-2 to Skukuza.

It seems that the shaken not stirred of the lucky packet, resulted in much more charms revealed than sweeties on day 5. The next charm that was pulled from the packet was this young ellie

Next sighting was a Square-tailed drongo sweetie, for the birders in the bus.

To really spoil the birders we found this Black-chested Snake-Eagle charm. We have never seen one before.

We just had to see if anything interesting was happening at Leeupan. It was all quiet except for a few Egyptian Geese that occupied the pan. On our way back to the tar we bumped into WendyA again and had a quick chat about the mini meet at Skukuza. We told her that Peregrine Falcon and Dassiedelight will not be able to attend anymore. We will still be seven (7) at the meet though.

We were off again and at some stage Hilda pulled out another charm and it was this beauty

We were lucky today and ticked off number five of the Big 5 for the day.

We had a quick look around at Olifantdrinkgat where we saw leopard once, but not today. On our way back a SANParks fieldguide vehicle flagged us down. It was none other than Imberbe behind the wheel. This was mite number five (5) for us thus far in 5 days.

We had a quiet drive sighting wise and only saw this birdie charm at the Sand river low water bridge. A Pied Kingfisher close to us in a tree.

At the Sabie river low water bridge another Pied Kingfisher charm and a mommy hippo with her little one and two friends

On the other side of the bridge this guy tries his best catch some lunch, while the hamerkop waited patiently for his lunch

It went all quiet with reference to charms and only general game was sighted. We had a quick stop at Skukuza and then for the last stage to Pretoriuskop. On our way down the gravel road to Transport Dam, this Black Bellied Bustard posed for us.

At Transport Dam out came another charm. It was this beautiful African Fish Eagle sitting on a rock.

A Blacksmith Lapwing couple that was busy putting up house at the edge of the dam.

Along the H1-1 we saw a herd of buffalo, steenbuck and ellies too far for nice pic’s.
We did however take a pic of this baby zebbie sweetie and kudu ram trying to hide from us behind a small tree.

We decided to visit the Shitlhave dam and took a few photos of our feathered friends:

This Egyptian goose busy with siesta

A Hadedah ibis minding his own business

A heron combing himself to impress his girlfriend

And another family of Egyptian geese

On our way we came across these strange cages. Wonder if anyone could tell us what this is. There were two of them about 100 meters apart.

It was the last sightings we had till we reached camp. We stayed in bungalow no 129 which was really clean and cosy. After unpacking I took the camera and clear the lucky packet and found the following two birdie charms.

This brown-headed parrot looking down at me with a “where-do-you-come-from” look on his face.

And last but not least this White-bellied sunbird enjoying some nectar.

We closed a wonderful day by having our customary braai under the stars and discussing the day’s sightings.

With a “wonder what Kruger will show us during day six (6)” still on the mind, it was off to dreamland Image.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:17 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
13 September 2012 – Day 6

We had a great night’s sleep behind us and were up at 04:00. Today’s route will be the S8 anti clocks and then along the S7 and S3 to the S1 tar road to Phabeni gate. From Phabeni gate we will drive the S1 with a quick visit to Lake Panic and then to Skukuza for our 10:00 mini meet. We will be driving back to PK via the H1-1.

We left camp at 06:00 with day six’s lucky packet and wonder what charms we will have today. This was our first sunrise at PKop.

We did the S8 and no sign of any painted doggies were to be seen. We only found this common duiker sweetie.

And this vulture on top of a rock, scanning the environment.

As we crossed the H1-1 tar onto the S7 we were greeted by this first time ever charm, a Long-crested Eagle. I apologise for the quality of the photos. The reason for the poor quality was pic’s taken directly into the sun and could not change the angle at all, because we were too scared that it will fly away before we could capture it.

We also came across another duiker that was very shy.

The road was quiet and we only came across this impala ram that had all the greenery to choose from.

The next birdie to greet us was this Brown snake Eagle (I think Heksie)

We saw some general game such as zebra and impala without taking any photos.

On our way to Phabeni gate, at the Hlulamadvodza River we found this Black stork.

We had a quick break at Phabeni gate (what a nice, clean and beautiful place) we came across this charm.
It was a Black-shouldered Kite that we completely adore, looking around all the time.

The next was a red-breasted swallow couple sitting in the sun and a closer view of one alone.

We turned off the tar to visit Nyamundwa dam. There were some hippo and Egyptian geese that could not be photographed. Back onto the road we came across a small herd of buffs also too far for a photo.

We were then greeted by this Brown snake eagle who told us that he saw some rhino further down the N4.

We quickly drove to the N4 and found this guy munching away.

Then, Hilda with the sharp eyes saw our second pearly for the trip. Also not easy to :cam: him.

We did a quick detour for a visit to Lake Panic (only had 20 minutes before our mini meet at 10:00)
We took the following pictures at Lake Panic:

Malachite Kingfisher very busy with his breakfast

The resident Green-backed Heron

A terrapin basking in the sun.

A grey heron with a chick on the nest.

The resident Goliath Heron in the middle of the lake.

and when he returned from the hair salon.

and last but not least a family of hippo’s also having breakfast

We left Lake Panic for our mini meet at Skukuza. We met three (new) mites, namely Nighthawk2 and his SO Timbits and VVV’s daughter Sekhmet and of course our friend that is like family to us, VVV and WendyA that completed the seven mites mini meet.

This brought the total of mites met thus far on this trip to nine (9).

We chatted away for an hour and a half, whilst having brunch together.
Just imagine all the stories and tales that were spread around the table. It was great to have met some new mites who will be our friends for years to come.

Second stage of day six will follow soon.......................Wonder what charms will be found :hmz: ...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next