Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diesel or Petrol?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MM, my SO is a Bosch agent and he agrees with everything okie said about diesel and where and what to look for in a buy.

My previous diesel I drove for 17 years and I thought I will never see a new vehicle as that one just went on and on, a friend bought it from us 2 years ago and he's been to Mosambiek 4 or 5 times, no problems.

The only thing my SO said was a lot of people fall for the Chinese and India made diesels as they are a lot cheaper than the Japanese and other diesels, but they don't last and when they have to be repaired the owners all have a heart attack!! some stand for weeks waiting for parts and there resell value is not so good.

SO went on and on what he thinks is the best diesels to buy today, but I'm not sure I can share that on the forum....

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you all :D

I am more and more convinced.

Super Mongoose, I am sure that your husband would know from his own work experience.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Can't wait for your decision MM! Looking forward to hear "what" is taking you to Kruger next time! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi MM. What a decision to make!

I have had several quite large petrol 4x4s and they were all very thirsty - around town and in the bush. I now have a diesel 3 litre 4x4 bakkie and it is far more fuel efficient (uses only half what the last petrol one did). I don't think you will want or need a bakkie as large as mine (it is used for horse things as well as bush trips!). So far, at nearly 6 years old, it has been fantastic in every way. I do have the luxury of a small run-around car (petrol) which is very economical for everyday shopping etc. (belonged to my daughter and when she left the country we kept the car as it was not worth selling).

I know people in UK are switching to diesel, even for smaller cars - not 4x4 vehicles - for economy.

I suggest you go around the various dealerships and pick their brains - they should know all the ins and outs of the matter.

Good luck - enjoy the search and let us know what you decide on.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm 

I have a 2006 Mazda Drifter 2.5 TDi 4x2. I love it and the consumption at around 10L/100km isn't too bad. I have 140 000kms on the clock. I am in the same boat as Okie in that I haven't had to repair anything, except for the glow plug which was a minor repair. If you look after your vehicle and service it when it should be serviced then it should last for many years.

With regards to the engine noise at sightings, you can quite easily turn off the engine :wink:

If I were in the market for another double cab (or any new vehicle) I would definitely consider another diesel.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Economy seems to lead the way here. Thank you all for you input. :thumbs_up:

I live about 40 kms away from where I work and I don't want to mention what it costs in petrol a day.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 am 

MM
In the UK the current expert opinion is that if you drive less than 10,000miles (14,000km) per year then petrol engined vehicles are more efficient, above that figure then diesel is better.
South Africa of course is a different ecconomic environment but may be similar to the UK.
Before making a decision research all the options and do the maths.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Well , much drier conditions for one , petrol evaporates more in hotter climate ...... :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Perhaps the topic should only refer to vehicles to be used in a SANPark. For general use, I would also go for diesel. Just look at the amount of torque that the new diesels develop. Some SUV's vehicles up to a 1000 nm. But for a visit to a SANPark, do you need all that power? Perhaps on the low maintenance roads. Crested Val does Kruger in an Atos.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)

The road I often have to travel.

and that is the good bit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agree, you don't need the torque and power in Kruger - unless an ellie got in the back seat. But you have to get there - preferably economical. Remember we live in a big country and that we have to travel great distances to get to our SANParks. If camping is not your thing, torque and power not to important either. When towing, it's nice to have again.

Good luck MM!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Landrover Freelander averages below 10 liters per 100 and is very luxurious!
Suzuki Jimny and Daihatsu Terios are half the price! And still economical!
Also been looking around!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MM , as the car program hosts you refer to so wisely say , and any experienced technician will concur , it cannot be disputed that in the long run a diesel engined car will cost substantially more to maintain than the identical petrol engined car .
Most of the modern diesel engines require Ultra Low Sulphur diesel (90ppm) which is not freely available , and many manufacturers require the buyer to sign an undertaking that they will refrain from using standard diesel (500ppm) . The reason being that the latter is considered to do damage to the diesel injectors - replacement price around R5000 each , and if damaged all of them may require replacement .
it is also a fact that in most cases the identical diesel engined car will cost around R20 000 more than the petrol engine version with the identical specification .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Could be different now, but previously the service intervals were also different, so you would be servicing your diesel more often than the petrol version.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

RobertT wrote:
Could be different now, but previously the service intervals were also different, so you would be servicing your diesel more often than the petrol version.

Not necessarily so Robert . I had an IVECO truck doing a delivery at work yesterday , the only one of its kind currently in South Africa , and here on trials for limited period only , before it will be shipped back to Denmark again . They are testing it in South Africa conditions .
Unlike other trucks which use between diesel at the rate ( fully loaded ) at around 1.8 kilometers per liter , this one does 4,5 kilometers per liter . There is a special additive used with the diesel , causing a COMPLETE burning of the fuel , and no black smoke coming out of it's exhaust , only a cool vapour . Its incredible , I could not believe it , but the driver showed me his records , service book etc etc . The truck used just over 200 liters of diesel between Upington and Worcester ( a distance of more than 900 kilometers ) .
And , it only needs a service every 130 000 kilometers .
I have a picture of the truck using my cell-phone , and still trying to figure out how to download onto my computer .
This is certainly what will be seen in the future .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .