Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Too good not to share!
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our luck with cheetah this year has been amazing as per the previous pics and video up close and only 2 cars to share. On the trip up in May/June to do Sand river bush camp duty I saw a cat stalking a bird on the roof at a filling station and further up there was a cat on top of a sand mound I said to SO this is a good sign we are going to see "cat" in KNP I just feel it. And my feeling came true..........we stayed over a Skukuza on the Wednesday evening and left as gates opened to take the long way round to get some sightings in before reporting for duty in jest I said to SO would it be too much to ask if I made a request for some cubs, no sooner out of my mouth we come round a corner to see something crossing the road oh look wild dog no maybe warthog (light was bad) no not sure......... OMG :big_eyes: its cheetah and wait for it.....................Cubs :D :lol: cannot believe our eyes they continued walking and disappeared into the bush wow that was awesome we decided that they were making their way down to the water and picked up the dirt road and drove up and down with no luck. Headed for Lower Sabie for breakfast and then the debate of do we stick with the original plan and route or go back to look for the family you guess it right unanimous decisionsto go back and paid off it did. To start off with as we reached the Ntwatimhiri causeway there was a mad scatter of imps all over the road lots of coughing going on she if definitely around so we stop the car and observe. Next thing mom appears no sign of cubs she is panting and disappointed breakfast has not materialised. She starts to call frantically still no sign of cubs she moves on calling all the time and we follow next thing one by one they appear 1 2 3 4 wow wow wow I am beyond excited am I allowed to say (orgasmic) :redface: next thing no not 4 but 5 cubs. This is not the norm for cheetah to have as many a 5 cubs as I am told they normally only have 4 eggs that are fertilised so it is thought there were twins. Now to hope and pray they all survive!! (Survival rate is thought to be only one) :(

Last edited by Mellory on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Too good not to share!
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you all for following and your comments cannot understand all the :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I see :hmz:... but cannot resist another pic of the "punk rockers" although not too good a pic.

On a real "high" after that sighting we were ready to go "work" making our way to camp we saw this very appropriate sighting a good advert for the walking trials I would say. (mods think as it was a long while ago should be ok to post)?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2