Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Connectivity for our iPad - wifi?? need techie help
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

it makes sense that Cell C would be close to vodacom as they piggy back on the Vodacome network. I have top say Cell C isnt the worst 8ta is ask me I know :slap:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

Wow - thanks for all of the responses!! you guys rock!! :k (even though I don't know you, I will kiss you...I am a friendly American BTW)

follow up questions... It seems like going with a SIM card purchased in Johannesburg should work to make my unlocked iphone 4s into a hot spot. I believe there is an Vodacom store at the airport. Can anyone confirm this? We get in late (like 9:30 pm), are staying at a hotel right at the airport, and plan to leave early the next day for Kruger, so I'll have to check their hours so we don't get delayed.

At the Vodacom store, they will be able to give me the SIM card for data, and install it into my phone and make sure it works, right?

I just hate to get all the way out to Kruger and then not have it work.

thanks again!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 pm 

Hi Bustergirl,

Yeah we are usually a pretty friendly place on the whole. :lol:

I think, as an overseas visitor you will need to book your SIM in advance anyway, due to a South African law regarding addresses and mobile phones.

You will find more information in this post, look at the later pages for the latest info.

Have a great trip.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 am 

I am planning to call Verizon (my US carrier) to unlock my iPhone 4s.. I have some online research on what to tell them...hopefully it will work.

I'll try and contact Vodacom to reserve a SIM card.

any other tips from anyone, please post!

many thanks to everyone for their input.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bustergirl, I have bad news for you. Your Verizon iPhone may not be compatible with overseas cellphone systems. Not sure about this, but it used to be that only AT&T and T-Mobile US phones would work overseas, and that a phone designed for either the Verizon or Sprint networks was not compatible with overseas systems, networks and SIM cards. Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news, but it would be worse for you to arrive (very jetlagged) at OR Tambo only to discover that your Verizon iPhone, even unlocked, us useless.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 am 

i think my Verizon iPhone 4S should be ok for international service...including making it a hot spot, but I am not positive. But hopeful.

Post subject: Re: Wireless 3G Internet & Cell phone Access
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Verizon 4G iPhones will work internationally, but you have to get Verizon to unlock it before you go! I have purchased SIM cards at OR Tambo multiple times with no problem, walk in right off the plane. you have to show them your ticket or passport info (can't remember which, or if both) and walk out after a few minutes with the card installed and working on your phone.

The issue with many US call phones is that they aren't dual band/GSM capable. I have a HTC smartphone that won't work overseas, my wife has a dual band that works fine. I also keep an older dual band phone just for trips outside the US.

Post subject: Internet
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm 

I am travelling from England and need to keep up with my emails as I have a B & B business. I haven't been to Kruger for 2 years. Does anyone know if the camps now have WiFi or should I still hire a dongle from Vodaphone

Post subject: Re: Internet
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:46 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Quote:
Wi-Fi internet reception/internet café facility

Berg-en-Dal
Skukuza

Have a look here under Facilities..............WiFi internet

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:03 pm 

I looked at the suggested link and I have some additional questions.

The description for the BnD facility says: "There is not a Wi-Fi facility at present, but one can connect their Laptops to the internet café network via a LAN should you wish to do so."
My question: If one wants to connect their own computer, do we need to have a particular cable/cord or is that available? Is it an ethernet connection? I recall the computers there are PCs - can I connect my mac?

Skukuza - can you take your own laptop into the Internet Cafe there, or do you have to use their computers.

Thanks all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
iLoveMeerkats! wrote:

Skukuza - can you take your own laptop into the Internet Cafe there, or do you have to use their computers.
Thanks all.

I must admit I misunderstood the question from toneyridge............I thought he meant in the accommodation units. :redface:

However as far as Skuks Internet cafe is concerned, I wonder what hours it's open, and when we were having breakfast at Skuks last year (which is next to the cafe) there was a queue out throught the door. :shock:
Usually internet cafes use their own computers, but I'm not totally sure about the one at Skuks.

I will defintely still take my Dongle , because I can use it where and when I want to. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 pm 

Thanks for all your advise,
I will hire a dongle again. I have used the internet cafe at Skukuza for several years and yes you are allowed to use your own laptop.
The dongles work very well and are quite reasonable, its just a bit of a chore when you have just got off a long haul flight, there is usually a queque at the Vodaphone shop and it takes some time to set up your laptop. It delays getting to Kruger!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:57 pm 

While in Skukuza in May 2012, I did a speedtest using both ADSL connection at the conference facility and Vodacom 3G using my Vodacom dongle. The conference facility has WiFi but I did the speedtest directly with the LAN cable to get best speed results. The conference WiFi and LAN are only available for delegates but it gives an idea of the speed of landline based connection in the camp.

These are the official result which I published to my twitter https://twitter.com/SimonBotes/status/198054368942112768 just after doing the test:

Telkom ADSL at Conference Facility:

Using the Vodacom 3G in Skukuza I got the following results:

Best bet for fast internet in Skukuza would be Vodacom 3G.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:26 am 

There is WIfi at Berg en Dal.
I didn't use it, because it wasn't a secure connection.
So I don't know if you are able to use it or how fast it is.
I only saw that there was a WiFi network with the name sanparks WiFi or something like that.

Post subject: WiFi
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm 

Is WiFi available at Kruger Camps? Specifically Pretoriuskop, Satara, Olifants and Skukuza?

Thanks.

irwin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next