Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sanparks Forum and Facebook pages!!
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I read a comment on fb about only posting positive comments about Sanparks, or Kruger....I don't agree with that! It was said that the Sanparks Forum is the place to post your pics of negatives??? Is the forum being left to clean up the mess???.?? I think the more we post pics of ppl breaking the rules on whatever and as many sights as we can, maybe the uniformed will be educated as nobody read the rules when they enter Kruger...Maybe its time that you are taken into the office and made to read it, ask if you understand and ONLY then ONCE you have signed you are allowed to enter???? Sorry...Im just so tired of ALL these ppl who have no regard to what they are allowed or not allowed to do....Time something gets done about it!!!

Post subject: Re: Sanparks Forum and Facebook pages!!
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No Martie, you are misquoting what is being said and trying to make an issue out of nothing in my opinion.

The original post on Facebook was:

Quote:
Folks, please can we keep this Facebook site as a place to post positive photo's, messages, initiatives etc about Kruger. The SANPARKS forum is a far better place to post photos of lawbreakers, controversial issues etc. This site is far better utilized to promote the parks and what they are about. Thanks

Most people agreed and provided four alternative FB pages to post photo's of lawbreakers etc. No-one is trying to hide the fact people are breaking the rules. Most people who responded want to keep that particular FB page as a place where people can showcase their photography, like Chris Martin and others, and a place where people can share their holiday snaps.

But why ruin an existing, great SANPARKS page with constant negativity??

This is a post of yours on FB(which I'm sure violates a few rules of the park!!):

Quote:
Yes, I do shoot the monkeys....my worse camps are BnDal and Malelane!!!!!! Nothing worse than having a great bungalow at BnDal that you pay lots of money for and can't even enjoy an evening with the sun going down, having snacks and the next minute you are invaded with monkeys threatening you!!!!! I take my "kettie" with me all the time!!!!!

X posted this in repsonse:

Quote:
Leave the animals alone it is their park...and we paying to see them not the other way round. We humans have created the problem...so live with it!! Prefer to have the cheeky monkeys around than not!

Your response:

Quote:
Oh X, I agree....senseless people feeding them, which I did not!!! I hope you never experience the attacks of monkeys!!! Maybe if it happens you will come back here and apologize as I don't think you qualified to comment on this post!

You now have this thread on the forum to run your crusade(as the poster said - the forum is a great place for this type of debate). Why not start your own FB page as well to out the lawbreakers. No-one is stopping you.

Perhaps the first photo you post should be of yourself with your 'kettie' :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am 

:popcorn:
*pulls up a chair

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am 

Sorry TW but I agree with Martie. I take my "kettie" with me, as we have had our goodies removed by the monkeys, but don't shoot them and just leave it on my table resulting in us not being disturbed. Staff at the picnic sights have borrowed it to chase the varmints away.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

From the following document - ParksRegulationsReservationAttachments_V3_21/06/2011

20. NO KILLING OF ANIMALS – Poaching and killing or injuring of animals is strictly prohibited

(red colour added by me)

To discourage the monkeys make sure all food is securely shut away and out of their reach. Do not leave any on tables etc unless you are actually eating. Keep all doors and windows of caravans and cars closed unless you are present and able to see the open door/window.

Do not use 'ketties' - a strong water pistol is much more effective and will not harm the animal at all - or anyone or anything else either. It can also be useful for keeping cool!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

pops, that's not the point. You're welcome to take your 'kettie' to the park :D

The point I was making is that there are numerous sites to post pictures of rule-breakers etc. This forum has a few places in fact. It has sticky's about how to report them, galleries of shame, a multitude of Facebook sites etc.

There is no need to use the SANPARKS Kruger FB page for that purpose and start highlighting all the issues SANPARKS is facing. We know there are issues :wall:

The post about the 'kettie' was made to highlight that if Martie wants to name and shame all the rule-breakers, she should be keeping a clean house, so to speak.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am 

Hi EJ. Agree wholeheartedly with you but we have had some occasions whilst still braaing, setting up the table or even sitting eating and the pests have raided us. BUT since just placing the catapult on the table we have been left in peace to get on with and enjoy our meal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tumble Weed Im sorry if I offended you, but as said in my post on fb, so many people do not know about the Forum and so many people do not know what to do when they encounter the lawlessness. I don't run a vendetta or crusade and as also mentioned in my posts on fb I don't just shoot the monkeys, but I shoot next to them to scare them away! I certainly do NOT drive around Kruger in my car looking for monkeys to shoot with my "kettie" :( If that is what the Kruger fb page is about to only show photographs, then I accept, but it gives the wrong impression as Kruger only a place of peace and quiet. People should know that they going to experience traffic jams, they going to experience people getting out of their cars and if they don't see those pics and Know its Wrong...who is going to teach them the right way?

EJ, nice of you to comment on here, but as you were part of my terrifying experience at Malelane camp you should know that my water gun had absolutely NO effect on that terrible monkey who just would not leave me alone!!! Not even my rubber snakes could deter him from coming for me every time I set foot out of my caravan! I have NEVER killed or HARM any animal in Kruger and NEVER will!!!

Tumble weed I don't read all the comments and did not see the posts of others of where to post their pictures, sorry.....I read it as this is the place to do it!! And I don't agree........far many people are on fb than on this forum!

With that I will leave this thread.....without my kettie :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just a note: we have been to three picnic sites in the last week where site attendants were using catapults to chase vervets away. This morning the attendant left us the catapult and a pile of stones (which we didn't use!)
At Letaba a staff member did the rounds regularly with one when the monkeys were running about near the safari tents.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hi all

We have already needed to split this thread as it went off topic. From here on, please remain on topic.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It's good to point out that the posts themselves about rule breakers are symptoms, not causes. They'll probably happen just as long as there are rule breakers. I would love if all visitors were required to read/watch and acknowledge the rules before entering, but honestly, I wonder if that will really help.

The best SANParks approach is one I've seen them use on occasion and you see all over how organizations handle social media: You acknoweldge/thank the customer for bringing the issue to their attention, and give them the correct avenue to report the issue. The sooner after the original post, the better. This takes the wind out of the sails of comments, as the matter is under control. And the official response can be referenced. If manpower is an issue, deputize the mods. :)

My own recent experience in the park - we saw very few rule breakers over our 2 week stay.