Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 pm 

Wow! I’m new on here and didn’t expect so many friendly and helpful replies in such a short time. I’m touched and a beeg thank you to all :gflower:

Although timing isn't the greatest, we grabbed the opportunity to combine business and blommetjies and just go!

To avoid risking a damaged or stuck rental car spoiling a holiday we’ve decided to stay in Kammieskroon and day trip into the Namaqua Park instead. That doesn’t rule out the possibility of driving the road and turning around if it gets too bad…

Dalene; my unrented vehicle is a 4 x tjorr :) The eco route sounds great and I would love to have the map for planning future holidays if you would be so kind as to email it to me...

PS: Lion Queen, although my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired I will post a few pics so that others planning to go know what to expect this year.

Once again thanks to all
Zookrat

Last edited by zookrat on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Through Namaqua to Hondeklipbaai and back in a sedan?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A few years back we went to Hondeklip from the H7 turnoff north of Garies and the road was a bit sandy and we didn't go in a 4x4 then. We had great raptor sightings along the way.

Post subject: Directions to Skilpad
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm 

Arriving from north (Springbok) is it still advisable to go through Kamieskroon or is there a more direct (and easy and safe ...) access? Thanks for your help.

Francesco

Post subject: Re: Namaqua National Park: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Francesco, I would say that the best route to Namaqua NP from Springbok would be via the Kamieskroon turnoff. Not sure if there is another route. The road is at best (or was) somewhat corrugated but otherwise would not say that it is unsafe - just drive sensibly........it is after all a dirt road / farm road / gravel road ....which eventually takes you to the Namaqua NP reception. You should not encounter any problems regardless of type of vehicle! Enjoy - you will love the solitude of this gem of a Park! :thumbs_up: It is only when you want to explore the 4x4 sections of the Park that you need to consider having a 4x4 vehicle!

Sat 26 April - 29 April 2014 Wilderness Ebb n Flow.
30 April - 01 May 2014 - Natures Valley
02 - 03 May 2014 - Bontebok NP.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am 

Hello all,

We visited Skipad section of Namaqua NP on Aug 2 this year, there are flowers aplenty and we were not dissappointed. It is such an oasis of flowers that it almost sticks out and I wonder if some skelm irrigation isn't done there so as not to dissappoint the international tourists and support the tourism industry this country needs so badly? :) Does anyone know the truth about this?

Not too sure if Goegap will have many flowers as Springbok area had little rain and there are very few flowers in the veld around there and even on the road from there to Kammieskroon. A trip to Port Nolloth is worthwhile and we were advised to drive to Soebatsfontein and then towards the sea but alas did not have time for it. If you day hike around the area you also see beautiful isolated plants in bloom.

Hope this helps,

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:39 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Thanks for the update, Zookrat. :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

zookrat wrote:
Hello all,

We visited Skipad section of Namaqua NP on Aug 2 this year, there are flowers aplenty and we were not dissappointed. It is such an oasis of flowers that it almost sticks out and I wonder if some skelm irrigation isn't done there so as not to dissappoint the international tourists and support the tourism industry this country needs so badly? :) Does anyone know the truth about this?

Skilpad does not get "skelm" irrigation :lol: , but various sections of it does get ploughed at various intervals - as disturbance is essential to get the annuals flowering en masse as at Skilpad. In fact, Skilpad has been part of an experiment run by the Botany / Plant Science department at the University of Pretoria for two or three (or more :hmz: ) decades, which aimed, amongst other things, at determining the optimal level and frequency of disturbance to favour the growth of the Namaqualand annuals rather than the "vaal" and boring "renosterbos" :lol: .

When it doesn't rain a lot in Skilpad, the plants are just shorter and the flowers smaller than during seasons with lots of rain..

Post subject: Namaqualand flower season 2012: Advice needed
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am 

Good day all.

We are planning a trip to Namaqualand in the Northern Cape for the last week of September 2012. I phoned Namaqualand National park and they assured me that the flowers are very beautiful this year.

My question however is if anyone knows when the flower season normally ends and if we will still be able to see flowers at the end of September. The lady from the park said that the rains was a little late this year, so the flowers might last longer as well. The other element to keep in mind is that the flowers will not last when the hot wind starts to blow.

The Sanparks website (http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=55242) states: "At this stage it looks like the flowers may last for quite some time, based on the countless young plants that still need to flower and the predicted rain." Could anyone waiver a prediction as to what "quite some time" means?

Kind regards,
Andre

Post subject: Re: Namaqualand flower season 2012: Advice needed
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
:hmz: Difficult one.

Welcome to the forum Andre.

You will definitely see some good flowers, but the main 'attraction' will probably be next weekend for about 3 weeks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Andre

Welcome. Flowers are very unpredictable. We were at West Coast park yesterday and they were beautiful and I think were better than some photos I saw from 2 weeks ago, but what they will be like in 3 or 4 weeks time, who knows.

I have to say that we came along the Springbok, Kamieskroon (N7) 2 weeks ago and there were very few visible at that stage (except lots of orange ones along the road), but the people living in the region probably have a way better idea than we do.

Whatever you see, enjoy the trip.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 am 

Thanks guys

Your info helps. I have spoken to some locals as well and they say that there might still be flowers at the end of September although it will be at the end of the season and not as fantastic as it is now. It is chance that you take and either win or loose...

I think it will be a great trip, regardless of if we see the flowers or not. Augrabies, Namaqualand, Fish River Canyon.

Kind regards,
Andre

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Sounds like it will be Andre. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We will be there at the same time, save me some as well :wink: . I haver never seen it

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am 

LOL... I have the exact same concern!!! will be there same time!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just back after 6 wonderful days in Namaqualand. Ask at Garies Toeristestal (Sonja) for advice where to go and I am sure u will see flowers. Many people just drive through with out asking and come back saying they saw nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next