Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
stewart

Re: BD3U in lower sabie?

Unread postby stewart » Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I know of 19, 20, 21 & 22

Stickman360

The best way to spend your last 3hr of the day @ lowersabie.

Unread postby Stickman360 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am

Some game viewers in the park feel that in order to see lots of good sightings you must cover as much distance as possible.
This i feel is no the right way to go about a relaxing holiday.
The best way to relax and enjoy the park is to move at the same speed as the park.

On a few occations that we have spent time at lower Sabie we generally have a debate as to what routes we should do on our afternoon drive.
At the end of the day you dont feel like dealing with long distance and having to rush your sightings in order to make it back to the gate in time.

So we have a tradition at lower sabie when it comes to our afternoon drives.
We drive on the main road (towards skukuza) and find a nice open area where we can see the opposite bank and the river bed below.
This area provides a nice vantage point as the road gives you that extra height.
This area during the magic hour(1hr before gates close) you have the best sightings in the park.
One evening we saw 4 of the big 5 and wild dog in the space of 45min. Elephant, Lion and leopard(male) on the far bank and leopard & wilddog crossing the road close to us.

It is a fantastic way to spend your afternoon drives and letting nature come to you.

RoyCraig

Re: The best way to spend your last 3hr of the day @ lowersa

Unread postby RoyCraig » Sun May 20, 2012 6:26 am

Morning

Stickman 360, i am definately going to try that. Sounds like a great plan. I agree that at the end of the day one does not feel like chasing after animals hoping to see the big 5.
[i] " The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it "[/i]

pamelajane

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Unread postby pamelajane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 am

I have booked a BD2U bungalow at LS -can anyone tell me which numbers they are on the map? Also which is closest to the river? :hmz: I have looked at the accomodation thread and see only 84 shown :roll:

pamelajane

Unread postby pamelajane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am

Many thanks Leanawel -I'll just relax then and wait to see which bungalow they give me :whistle: We've
never stayed at LS so looking forward to it :clap:

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am

LS is a wonderful camp and a good area for game as well - ENJOY :D

Impisi08

Unread postby Impisi08 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:21 pm

During my last night in hut 42 in Lower Sabie (May 22) I had visitor in my hut. I woke up around
11.30 pm because of some rattling noise. Then it was quiet for a few minutes but then I heard
another sound and now in the hut. I took my torch and looked around. Suddenly
I noticed a rat sitting on the wooden cover above the curtains. Because
of my movement it went behind the curtains and again I heard that rattling
sound. Very carefully I looked but the rat was gone. First I was puzzled.
Had I dreamed something? I always sleep with the windows open because of the protection
of the wire blinds. Then I saw a hole in the wire blind and found another
hole in the wire blind from the other window.

The rattling sound I had heard was the rat entering via the wire blind on
one window and leaving via the other window. I do not know if it made the
holes that night or that they were already there. But that was a clever rat.
It knew it was somewhere were it was not supposed to be and disappeared immediately
when I woke up. I did inform the reception that morning so it should be fixed now.

ww29

Unread postby ww29 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:58 am

Hi all

My mom and i stayed at one of the safari tents at Lower Sabie on Monday night. We had a lovely time and the view was breath taking. First time i had spent a night here and will definitely go back.

anyway, around 7pm we were sitting on the verandah having some wine when i noticed a spotted genet above the door of the tent. He appeared quite tame and was not phased by our presence. We thought he was anxious to go out so we left the tent for 5 - 10 minutes. When we came back he was still there. We tried leaving again, with the lights out. When we came back he was still there. By now we had realised he was quite chilled so we carried on with our braai.

civet by rmowatt, on Flickr

my concern is that he is using the safari tent (number 20) as his home. it's fine when people such as ourselves don't atagonise him - but i'm worried another couple using the tent might get scared and chase him or corner him etc. Who do i contact to let them know about this lovely houseguest? Just want the little genet to be safe.

thanks
ww29

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi ww29,

I would not too overly concerned about the little Genet, I am sure he has just become quite used to being fed or finding the odd leftovers once guests retire for the night and most probably moves from tent to tent/area as he feels like it.
You might have found the previous guests fed him so he was hoping for the same and hanging around just in case.
I am sure if someone tried to get too close to him he would be gone in a flash, they are pretty agile little creatures.

Many of the Kruger camps now have them at the chalets/tents etc.
On our Feb trip we had one lying in the tree right next to the veranda in Mopani camp all evening just watching the procedure and hoping!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm

We also had a gennet (lesser) visit us on deck of tent (near no. 2o)
It was late after dinner and hubby was sitting quietly in the dark on deck when it silently wandered past.
When I tried get out on deck to see it, it disappeared.
We took a torch and spotted it under our tent, hiding, so left it in peace.

NicoleCT

Unread postby NicoleCT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Thats good news. Now I feel a bit more relaxed and hope it will be fine for me too.

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am

WHY???...Do I keep reading this thread and making myself more homesick? Guess i'll never learn :wink:

This is definitley my favourite camp

Mars

Unread postby Mars » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

Hi can anyone please tell me if BD2U (BUNGALOW) is the once that overlook the river at lower sabie?

Mars

Unread postby Mars » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you! You are so lucky lol. I still have to wait 58 days before sleeping in them...

Marge

Unread postby Marge » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:08 am

Wonder if anyone can help me here -

Have booked a BD3U unit in December at LS. Am looking at no 15 as well as 21 and 23.

What are your recommendations? No 15 looks quite good as the outside area is raised up and enclosed with a low wall, but would like some feedback please. We will be there for 5 days so this is my reason for being so selective
:D

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”