Skip to Content

Neddicky

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa

Moderator: hilda

User avatar
mel123
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:36 pm
Location: North West

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby mel123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:39 am

Great Dane wrote:Closest I can get to this one is Levaillant's cisticola. Mainly because I can't get it to look like anything else. Photo quality doesn't help. Was seen in a bush at campsite just around sunset.

Image Image

Thanks in advance, Michael

Cisticolas are notoriously difficult. :|
It's definitely not a Levaillant's - the back is far too plain. I think it might be a Neddicky. :whistle:

Great Dane
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: Pretoria

Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby Great Dane » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks a million for the input Mel 8)

mel123 wrote:Cisticolas are notoriously difficult. :|
It's definitely not a Levaillant's - the back is far too plain. I think it might be a Neddicky. :whistle:

Never mind, should be possible to find another one of those where its clearer :|

Any others with input, feel free, Michael

MattAxel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby MattAxel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm

The bird in your 1st post is a Neddicky, and 3rd post is also a Neddicky.

Great Dane
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: Pretoria

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby Great Dane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 am

MattAxel wrote:The bird in your 1st post is a Neddicky, and 3rd post is also a Neddicky.

Thanks a lot MattAxel. Slightly confused fused with the first one with the very short tail though, is that a youngster, or how does that work :?

MattAxel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby MattAxel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Great Dane wrote:
MattAxel wrote:The bird in your 1st post is a Neddicky, and 3rd post is also a Neddicky.

Thanks a lot MattAxel. Slightly confused fused with the first one with the very short tail though, is that a youngster, or how does that work :?


I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for why the tail of this bird is so short, but with that colouring it can only really be a Neddicky.

Great Dane
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: Pretoria

Re: Identification Help - LBJs

Unread postby Great Dane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 pm

MattAxel wrote:
Great Dane wrote:
MattAxel wrote:The bird in your 1st post is a Neddicky, and 3rd post is also a Neddicky.

Thanks a lot MattAxel. Slightly confused fused with the first one with the very short tail though, is that a youngster, or how does that work :?


I'm afraid I don't have an explanation for why the tail of this bird is so short, but with that colouring it can only really be a Neddicky.

I see, again many thanks 8)

User avatar
margriet
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Gent, Belgium

Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby margriet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Please can anyone identify these 2 birds. I've seen them in Addo last month.

ImageIMG_0526fk by margriet2009, on Flickr
Will there be a 2015 trip to South Africa?


Kruger tripreport http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=37790

User avatar
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2595
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Jam Street

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby Johan van Rensburg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:33 am

margriet wrote:Please can anyone identify these 2 birds. I've seen them in Addo last month.


Normally I would have suggested that you have a look under cisticolas (#2), but I see you are from Belgium, margriet. So chances are that you will not have a good field guide.

Bird #2 to me looks like a Neddiky from that area: plain-backed and usually a very grey bird with rufous wing panels and crown. Good shot!
671 Latest lifer: Black coucal

User avatar
margriet
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Gent, Belgium

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Unread postby margriet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:59 am

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
margriet wrote:Please can anyone identify these 2 birds. I've seen them in Addo last month.


Normally I would have suggested that you have a look under cisticolas (#2), but I see you are from Belgium, margriet. So chances are that you will not have a good field guide.

Bird #2 to me looks like a Neddiky from that area: plain-backed and usually a very grey bird with rufous wing panels and crown. Good shot!


Thanks Johan!
Will there be a 2015 trip to South Africa?


Kruger tripreport http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=37790


Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”