Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi Information Page
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there Charbel,

Regarding the Cell phone reception, there is only signal at Twee Rivieren and about 10Km out of Twee Rivieren you lose signal. As mentioned there is every now and then signal at Bitterpan (only if weather permits) but not always, so I wouldn’t count on having signal.

The BATS......They have been a problem during the summer months, but unfortunately they have moved into the chalets as it creates a cool place to stay. Management have tried several things to deter the bats. Currently there are no bats giving a problem

Hope it helps

KG

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks KG. I will go in May, so probably no problem with bats.

Could you also advise me about the Botsuana part of the park. As the roads are more challenging there and we can only camp there, we are in doubt if they are really worth. Can we see something different from the South African part going into Botsuana?

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi,

The roads on the Botswana side is mainly sand roads, on the day they can be worse that the S.A.Side. Unfortunately I haven’t been on them so maybe some mites who have been on them lately can advise you. The vegetation is very much the same, guests driving on the Botswana side is the people who loves roughing it.

KG

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 am 

Hi Charbel,
For Rooiputs and Polentswa the roads are fairly the same than in South Afriacan side.
(and the campsite are very near.)
In Mabuasheube aera there are some very deep sand sections.
The first 70 km from Nossob to Bosobogolo are not easy (for me !): they are plenty red dunes with deep sand (beautiful!). After this the road becomes more flat and easier.
Hope it helps
yvo

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Yvo,
Thanks for the information.
I'd like to inquire further into the fauna there. Is there different fauna in Botsuana part of the park than in South Africa. I get from your message that the landscape seems a bit different, but what about the fauna?
Also, is it still the case that only a convoy of at least two cars can enter the Botsuana part of the park. Is this valid both to Bosobologo and Polentswa parts? As we are in a single car, we'll need to find other interested parts to go there, if this is still required.

All the best
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi charbel. Welcome and good luck with all you planning!

Recently we had cell phone reception (poor) at Bitterpan - just enough for SMSs. At Grootkolk there is a tiny area just outside the camp with a little bit of reception but enough to make phone calls. At Gharagab there was very good reception via the Namibia server (OK if you have international roaming).

You talk about a "car" - remember that you will need a 4x4 with good ground clearance if you venture onto the Botswana roads.

Mopani 18-20 Oct 2014
Shingwedzi 20-22 Oct 2014
Punda Maria 22-25 Oct 2014

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:03 pm 

A Do not bargain on cell phone reception further away that 10km from the main SANPARKS Camps.
B Roads are not too bad at the moment, but expect a few new rattles in your car.
C Kgalagadi Guru is right. Only 4x4's allowed on the Botswana side.
D Like on the RSA side, Fauna varies virtually over every dune, but overall it is the same.

Last edited by roberte on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Hippotragus,
Thanks for the very useful information about cell phone reception. As I'll be away from home for three weeks, I need to call my wife and little daughter, so to know about cell phone reception is important for planning.

Our plan is to hire a Toyota Hilux. I think it is enough with regard to ground clearance. Do you agree?

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Roberte,

Thanks for the information. We do plan to rent a 4x4's for our trip to Kgalagadi. Very useful what you said about fauna, it seems that to go into Botswana and probably the 4 x 4 trails is more for the excitement of driving in difficult conditions. This can be fun, but our focus are the animals....

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:19 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Charbel,

Some of the Botswana roads you may only drive when you are staying over at the camps on that route.

Some of them you may drive if you have bought a day visitors permit at Twee Rivieren.

Please ask at the Botswana front desk at Twee Rivieren where you may drive and where not.

Enjoy your stay

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Lion Queen for the useful information,
It seems increasingly complicated to go into the Botswana side for someone who likes to plan in advance like me....

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends,
Sorry to bother you, but for planning our trip to Kgalagadi, your help is being essential. I'd like to bring two more doubts.

1. We will be in Kgalagadi next june, and I read that the temperature varies on average from 0.5 to 23. Living in a tropical country, I got worried about how much cold we will experience in the chalets in the main camps and, most of all, in the desert tents in the wilderness camps. Is it too freezing? I see no heating is available, but what about blankets. are they in extra number for those chilling tropical guys?

2. I read that we need to ask permission to game drive every day, so that the park team can know where we are. In the case of the main camps, it is clear that we simply go to the reception and ask for the permission every day. But what about the wilderness camps? It is like that? When we are in Kalahari Tented Camp, we ask permission in Mata Mata. As we will stay two days there, can we get permission for two days when we check in in Mata Mata? We would also need to ask permission for Kieliekrankie the day before in Twee Rivieren, and for Grootkolk and Gharagab one and two days in advance in Nossob. That's how we do?

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Charbel,

1. There are extra blankets in all the units........just take a long some beanies and nice warm socks. If possible buy some hot water bottles in Upington before you go to the park.

2. All the wilderness camps have their own attendants who live at these wilderness camps.......so in the evenings you hand in your permit with them and in the mornings before you go out for the drive you go and collect your permit from them. So no need to get "permission" from TR or any of the other main camps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Lion Queen,
Thanks for more useful information!

All the best
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends,
I'd like to ask you how could I confirm if these activities will happen in Nossob in the following days:

Sunset drive - June 7th 2013

Morning walk - June 8th 2013

Could someone also tell me at what time sunset drives and morning walks begin and end?

Cheers
Charbel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 31  Next