Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bartman Br camping trip to Mountain Zebra NationalPark 08/12
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm 

I havn't done a trip report for some time so here goes ...

A week ago my SO and I decided to book a 3 night camping trip to MZNP for the past long weekend. Situated in the Karoo near Cradock it is known to get shall we say a bit "chilly" in winter. :bcool:

That big cold front had just moved through and travelling up there the surrounding mountains were covered in snow. I often thought to myself that we were a bit mad to camp there in winter.

We duly arrived and set up camp. That first morning we got into the car for a drive and the temp at 7am was -3.... ice on the inside of the tent, the water in the kettle was frozen. That was fun!! It warmed up a bit for the rest of the weekend but still fresh.

Some pics to follow of our sightings :cam:

Post subject: Re: Brrr camping trip to Mountain Zebra National Park...
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

This shot was taken on the rooiplaat loop of a red hartebees with the snow covered mountains in the background

We also managed to see 4 black rhino at different times. 2 of them had a small calf. Didn't manage to get pics of the calf.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm 

@Hilda, billyf & lion queen we were well prepared for the cold so it wasn't that bad. worst part was getting out of bed in the morning :slap:

Ok so we were on the Ubejane loop which is a favourite for us. We have a spot on the link road just of the loop that we normally stop and have coffee and rusks first thing in the morning and this overlooks the valley. So we had stopped here for about 30min then decided to go back onto the Ubejane loop. We hadn't driven 300m when I saw this chap having breakfast... there were 3 bb jackals waiting right there for the left overs.

He must have caught this springbok whilst we were 300m up the road but we couldn't see him as there was a bush in the way!!

We watched him eat for about 20min then he started walking around. He walked up to this bush and marked his territory for a few minutes.

We were lucky to have sat and watched him for about an hour.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 pm 

Whilst driving along the main road we came across 2 of these guys right next to the road. They must have been about 500m apart and then we never saw another one!! The wind was blowing almost gale force on this day as you can see by it's hair.

seems to have an insect in his mouth

we also came across this bird, anyone have an idea what it is??? my birding knowledge is limited :redface:

Then on our last morning we finally found the buffs. They posed nicely for this pic.

Thats all folks, hope you enjoyed the pics. My SO was the photographer so all credit to her although we really are novices with the camera :cam:

Off to KNP for the sep/oct holidays so can't wait for that trip which will be our first camping in the park. :dance:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]