Skip to Content

CAMP ETIQUETTE

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: CAMP ETIQUETTE

Unread postby Hugh » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm

We have our lappie Only reason so we can downlaod photos and have more space to take more..But it makes no noise.
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Some people sitting around the campfire sounds like a TV. Never stop talking even until 2 am in the morning. If you confront them guess whats the answer. Get earplugs.

I camp any time near an old toppie like BB (just joking you not that old), but those talkative ones which do not have a button to switch off I need to avoid. The only problem is that it seems as if they prefer school holidays.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Which is why I mostly avoid school and public holidays; rather go when the bush lovers are there to share and appreciate with.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

annie R

Crocodile Bridge campsite problems

Unread postby annie R » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise this question, so please forgive me if not.

We were recently camping for 4 nights at Crocodile Bridge and each day we watched problems develop because the campsite is small and 20 campers have to be accommodated.

Part of the problem arises from people who spread out over more than one campsite's worth of space, not leaving enough for others. Whether they are doing this knowingly and selfishly, or out of ignorance about just how many other people will be arriving later and in need of space, I don't know. But either way, it creates problems. Not only for latecomers - we arrived on 12.30 in the afternoon and struggled to find a space, so heaven help those who arrive just before the gates close!

I wonder if this couldn't this be avoided, at least in part, by erecting campsite numbers to designate campsites. That way, it would hint to people when they are taking up more than their fair share of space and frayed tempers could be avoided.

stelliegp123

Re: Crocodile Bridge campsite problems

Unread postby stelliegp123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:45 am

We had the same problem at Lower Sabie a while back and we arrived late (Just before closing time)

We ended up camping on the island in the middle of the road!!! The next morning we had to wait for someone to pack up so that we can move to a proper camp site.

saraf

Re: Crocodile Bridge campsite problems

Unread postby saraf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 am

I thought Lower Sabie's camp sites were all designated sites?

Anyway, as with all problems they really should be reported to reception and/or the Duty Manager at the time, to give the camp staff opportunity to sort it out. It works, I've done it myself and was delighted with the results.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

annie R

Unread postby annie R » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

Saraf suggested in a PM that I email customer care, which I did. Within an hour I got this reply:

"Thank you for taking time to write us such constructive feedback. We regret the inconvenience endured during your recent visit to Kruger Park. Kindly note that your feedback has been forwarded to the relevant management for their attention."

I'll update you on what happens next...

bert

Unread postby bert » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

Son godin wrote:I camp any time near an old toppie like BB (just joking you not that old), but those talkative ones which do not have a button to switch off I need to avoid.

:funny:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Son godin wrote:Some people sitting around the campfire sounds like a TV. Never stop talking even until 2 am in the morning. If you confront them guess whats the answer. Get earplugs.

I camp any time near an old toppie like BB (just joking you not that old), but those talkative ones which do not have a button to switch off I need to avoid. The only problem is that it seems as if they prefer school holidays.

I don't know whether to clap or be offended SG :doh:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Son godin wrote:Some people sitting around the campfire sounds like a TV. Never stop talking even until 2 am in the morning. If you confront them guess whats the answer. Get earplugs.

Last year in Punda , a couple of drunken Canadians were quite rowdy until late , and extremely rude when I asked them to tone it down a bit , shouted at me to f.....f !
Now , what do you do in such a case ?
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Phone the Duty Manager
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Saraf , yes indeed , but you know , I thought it would be more " neighbourly " , just to ignore it at that time .

Of course , next morning I was less neighbourly , and didn't bother to tell them that their vehicle sported two flat wheels :whistle:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I suppose it depends on how much you want it to spoil your holiday. :lol:

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I always enjoy my holidays , especially in Kruger :dance:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 am

I agree with Saraf ... mostly, it is best not to confront the offenders as they are usually drunk anyway and, since they are so inherently inconsiderate as it is, why would they bother to suddenly become polite and concerned?!
It is great that SANparks have put duty managers in place, as this allows one to get the problem solved via an official channel. And, if the duty manager is ineffectual, then other options could be considered. :hmz:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”