Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 176 of 203
 [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Tuskers
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

vinkie
IDD this is MAC
It looks like he is on his way to nothern region of kruger , coming from timbavati area where he goes every year, now coming back into kruger and probably on his way to the north (line between phalaborwa and letaba) heading Mopani and then to Shingwedzi area...

It looks like a STE collared one :dance: ....you can see the transmitter on the second picture.....So Aat must be able to find out who this is...... :mrgreen:

Could it be MAC? :hmz:[/quote]

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 pm 

wildtuinman en 100ponder,
For sure interesting but still doubting a bit if he is a potential tusker ... very difficult to judge from a distance but his tusks do not look that thick in base maybe you guys can tell more about your impressions.

[quote="wildtuinman"]100 ponder, that is for sure the same elephant, how interesting!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:33 pm 

arks,
Nice to see you again , time flies ....
When I looked at your pics some "alarm" was ringing and I think it is the named tusker (at my site) RICEHO
Thick tusks not yet that long but very promising. He has clean ears.

[quote="arks"]Not sure whether this bull qualifies as a tusker or even an emerging tusker. His tusks are quite thick but not all that long :hmz: I saw him along the H1-8 between 1-2Kms south of the Klopperfontein turnoff on 16 April 2012. He was accompanied by 5 askaris.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm 

No doubt , it is Marhumbini
Tusk, ears and injured trunk (lower part)
When did you see him ?

[quote="DotDan"]Agreed WTM

I spent the weekend going through some of the Tusker pics I took in Mopani, and referencing Aat's website.

Here I came across one of Marhumbini, if I am not mistaken?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm 

lolllll..., almost looks like a chatbox now....
Arks, you are very welcome to send the pictures , if possible in large format, no problem
tuskers@zeelandnet.nl

As said I think it is Riceho and not mashikiri... at the left ear it is not a notch but leaves before his ear as I could see enlarging the picture a bit.

arks wrote:
100ponder wrote:
You have seen the recently named tusker Mashikiri.

Thanks, 100pounder, his tusks do look longer in the pix (yours?) on Aat's website. Must be the different angle of the photos? I don't have any of him from the side, he was always facing me :D

@ Aat: would you like me to send you these photos?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Aat wrote:
vinkie

IDD this is MAC

It looks like he is on his way to nothern region of kruger , coming from timbavati area where he goes every year, now coming back into kruger and probably on his way to the north (line between phalaborwa and letaba) heading Mopani and then to Shingwedzi area...

vinkie wrote:
It looks like a STE collared one :dance: ....you can see the transmitter on the second picture.....So Aat must be able to find out who this is...... :mrgreen:

Could it be MAC? :hmz:

Thanks Aat.... :thumbs_up:

Is Mac one of the Biggest "collared" Tuskers? :hmz:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 pm 

vinkie,
Not just of the collared ones , he is one of the big 10 at the moment.
I made a list of top 10 at my site , main page , right side :)

vinkie wrote:
Aat wrote:
vinkie

IDD this is MAC

vinkie wrote:

Could it be MAC? :hmz:

Thanks Aat.... :thumbs_up:

Is Mac one of the Biggest "collared" Tuskers? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
lolllll..., almost looks like a chatbox now....
Arks, you are very welcome to send the pictures , if possible in large format, no problem
tuskers@zeelandnet.nl

As said I think it is Riceho and not mashikiri... at the left ear it is not a notch but leaves before his ear as I could see enlarging the picture a bit.

arks wrote:
100ponder wrote:
You have seen the recently named tusker Mashikiri.

Thanks, 100pounder, his tusks do look longer in the pix (yours?) on Aat's website. Must be the different angle of the photos? I don't have any of him from the side, he was always facing me :D

@ Aat: would you like me to send you these photos?

Aat, it is definitely a notch in this ellie's ear, I have LOTS of pix of him, from a variety of angles, and the leaves are well behind him.

Here are two more:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm 

These pictures makes it more clear. As said I was looking at the other ones and saw some leaves before his ear.
No doubt anymore , it is Mashikiri , well done 100ponder :thumbs_up:

Arks feel free to select some pics and send them to my tusker address.... thanks very very much, great to add some to his page and from this angle it is going to be better / easier to ID later on for others

@ Aat: would you like me to send you these photos?[/quote][/quote]
Aat, it is definitely a notch in this ellie's ear, I have LOTS of pix of him, from a variety of angles, and the leaves are well behind him.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
These pictures makes it more clear. As said I was looking at the other ones and saw some leaves before his ear.
No doubt anymore , it is Mashikiri , well done 100ponder :thumbs_up:

Arks feel free to select some pics and send them to my tusker address.... thanks very very much, great to add some to his page and from this angle it is going to be better / easier to ID later on for others

Thanks, Aat. Pix on the way :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are two possible tuskers that I saw in the Shingwedzi area. The first one has only one tusk, but I recall that there are a few tuskers with single tusks? I saw him on 20 April 2012. As I was heading across the Shingwedzi causeway towards the back entrance to the camp, he appeared atop the bluff to my left.

This second bull I saw along the S50 — probably 10-15km before reaching Shingwedzi camp, on 21 April 2012.

In both these instances I was a bit within the ellie's 'comfort zone', (and I am in general very comfortable being very close to ellies, so long as they are relaxed and it is their choice to come close to me) so these are the only pix that I have (plus they were taken through the wind screen, hence the poor quality), as it seemed best to leave quickly.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:34 pm 

Arks,
The first one you posted here is Tinyarhini. Last pics I got of him were made in october 2011, so good to see him again.
I do not recognize the second one, difficult to judge his tusks and can't see ear details ...understanding you were moving away from him.

arks wrote:
Here are two possible tuskers that I saw in the Shingwedzi area. The first one has only one tusk, but I recall that there are a few tuskers with single tusks? I saw him on 20 April 2012. As I was heading across the Shingwedzi causeway towards the back entrance to the camp, he appeared atop the bluff to my left.

This second bull I saw along the S50 — probably 10-15km before reaching Shingwedzi camp, on 21 April 2012.

In both these instances I was a bit within the ellie's 'comfort zone', (and I am in general very comfortable being very close to ellies, so long as they are relaxed and it is their choice to come close to me) so these are the only pix that I have (plus they were taken through the wind screen, hence the poor quality), as it seemed best to leave quickly.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Aat. Sorry I don't have any better photo of that second ellie. Given how I startled him, I really shouldn't have taken the risk of taking any pix. He was not at all happy with me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 am 

Doesn't matter , I could recognize him and good to see he is alive and well. You don't deserve a nasty tusker after what you have done for them :thumbs_up:

arks wrote:
Thanks, Aat. Sorry I don't have any better photo of that second ellie. Given how I startled him, I really shouldn't have taken the risk of taking any pix. He was not at all happy with me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aat wrote:
arks wrote:
Doesn't matter , I could recognize him and good to see he is alive and well. You don't deserve a nasty tusker after what you have done for them :thumbs_up:

Please don't blame the ellie, Aat, because it was I who startled him — he was just minding his own business, browsing by the side of the road, and then I pop around the curve right on top of him :redface: And given how the road twists right there, I realised that I didn't really have the option to reverse, so after the risky pause for the photo, I had to power right by him — very uncomfortable for us both! :roll: I think that in other circumstances, he's likely a very nice and calm tusker — as most of them are. It did make me sad knowing that I was unavoidably causing him distress. :( After all, it's we who are the 'invaders' in their place.

I probably could have waited to see what Tinyarhini would do coming down from that bluff, but there isn't much space to manouver on the causeway, plus he didn't have many options of where to go, he was headed right towards me. So in that case, after taking a few ID shots thru my windscreen, I thought it would be kinder to him to not cause him distress by sticking around. Respecting the ellie's comfort zone should IMO always come before a nice photo opportunity!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 203  Next