Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How to write a Travel Tale .... What 'mites want.
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

How do you write a Travel Tale? :hmz:
Where do you start and what needs to be in it? :hmz:
Is there any format that you can follow? :hmz:
Any tips will be much welcome. :D

Post subject: Re: How to write a Travel Tale.....
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That is a good topic for discussion. What I like in a Travel Tale is the following;(Accompanied by lots of photos)
* The reason why all the folks want to go wherever.
* The preparation, booking, what went wrong and what went right.
* The packing, the travel to the parks, with interesting things seen and encountered on the way.
* The arrival at the gate, and the personal emotions when driving through the gate.
* Then of course, animals seen throughout the park, but for me the thing I enjoy the most is the scenery shots
and the human interaction. (I am currently reading roaneric's travel tale from scratch) I can stare forever at a
picture taken from, for example, the Tshange lookout, but quickly browse past a picture of an elephant in the
distance.

My personal preference is lots of pictures, humour and good story telling.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think for myself the most important thing is to enjoy writting it, people will definitely pick up if you are enjoying writing the TR and that is kind of infectious people will also enjoy reading it. They will also pick up if it seems forced and that will take all the intrest out of it. Always be yourself :mrgreen:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:09 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Everyone has their own style :D Just varying tastes.

But I like travel tales with good descriptions over good pictures. Just write exactly how you felt at sightings!
Never apologise for the quality of your photos.
Wait for the page to turn before uploading a new episode.
Don't have more than 20 photos in an episode.
Never mention the location of rhino sightings.
Write exactly how you want. People pick up its genuine! :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with Cheetah. Everyone has his own style and if it written with passion and enthusiasm, then it will attract a crowd. As cheetah has rightly mentioned, the travel tales is not a photographic competition, and all the pictures are much appreciated. Not everyone has a R30 000,00 camera with fancy lenses, and some folks with many year's photographic experience will obviously take better pictures than others, but this not what it is all about. (It is like my beloved Cheetah rugby team. The don't always play good rugby but I still watch them :whistle: )

Post subject: CLEAN >>>> How to write a Travel Tale .... What 'mites want.
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 pm 

Obviously, just like different people prefer different authors and genres, so it is with forum readers. I personally am riveted by a TR that is metaphorically written, encompassing a gamut of emotions and spangled with dollops of mirthful humour. See, now a lot of people won't like the "poshness" I just included in the last line, while others will like day-to-day English, which usually does attract the biggest audience. :wink: In the same manner, long-winded and verbose reports can detract from their impact.

I also like a TR that is easy to read; that is, it flows smoothly - I've never been a fan of modern e-mail/sms language, where I have to go back and reread sentences to figure out what the author means. If a book or article is written like that, I turf it in no time at all.

Imagining a scene from its description defines good writing for me. Some people have a knack of sucking one into the story, then holding back the best parts for later. I think they are natural storytellers, although many of their techniques can be learnt.

I have never been a fan of millions of pictures, without description, one after the other, and which take an age to load on the computer when browsing the TR. In the same way, I am tempted to skip twenty pictures of the same animal in the same scene as it can be too much of a good thing on the senses; a handful of top pics is far more riveting. Also, blurred pics can take so much away from the good ones, so I leave them out; unless there is no other pic and it is an important one to include.

Finally, one must write from the heart and not worry how others will judge them as authors. Of course, it still has to be within the rules of the forum, and I believe within acceptable social boundaries.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 pm 

What should be in a Travel Tale you ask Piccie? :hmz:
Well I say what you want to put in it parra :tongue:
A TT is about you and how you experienced a park.
If you don't like to talk and just put in a gazilion kiekies-do it! :thumbs_up:
If you want to write a 9 page essay-do it! :thumbs_up:
The only thing that you have to remember is to have FUN!!!!
Show us and share with us about what made your trip in the park so special. :w:
We share our experiences with people that don't have the luck to be there but want to see and read what the Park is all about.
Just remember you will never satisfy everyone :slap:
Some are cat hunters, some don't even read what you write but the most important is that you write it for yourself because you are reliving your trip again :thumbs_up:
I like sharing what I thought, what was interesting and what made my trip worth while even if some people think it is stupid like my Marshmallow joke or the Mcdonalds that are walking around everywhere in the Kruger. A TT is very special to me, I take about an hour on every episode because I don't want to leave anything out, all the details and sillyness! There are no guidelines to follow, just share with us what you want even if it is a :thumbs_up: / :clap: or :) .

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 pm 

Lovely topic Picnic, and thanks to everyone for their input.

The most important thing, and this goes for everywhere on the forum, is to have fun and enjoy what you are doing. A TR should be a joy to write, not a onerous duty.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: :clap: Heksie.

English is a second language to many of us and we prefer to let the photos do the talking.

Kgalagadi May 2014 with Lion vs Leopard and the "Love Birds"

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am well aware that for many English is a second, or maybe even third language.

To many, forget about language, forget about grammar, don't even think of spelling. The english themselves cannot master their own spelling.

I remember Anne Marie's first travel tale so well. Anne Marie really had to spend time on a language she did not use at all, yet her love for nature and enthusiasm shone through.

We have wonderful and gifted photographers on the forum. I enjoy them so much, but know with even the best equipment, I will never have that skill. I just lap up their ability to capture the moment. Don't be intimidated by talent. There will always only be a few who are able to produce what we sometimes see. Every picture is an expression of your moment, your pesonality and that is what counts.

Some reports are long, some reports are short. If your name is MM, many reports are never finished :redface: :redface: :redface: What matters is the courage to write and share.

I know how much courage it takes, which is why I encourage people when I have the time.

Don't be put of by few replies. My report, "Training brides for Ndloti" flew like the wind. It was not my best, but it resonated with people's need to laugh at other people's mistakes. My more serious, and what I think was the best, "Meandering down a road less travelled" had a much more subdued response.

The other thing is to respond to those who have the courage to write. It is just like being on the stage, only you are the playwriter, the main character, the set designer, the producer and the director.

Many people have to learn how to post pictures. I did. I admire those who master a skill they would never have mastered. I admire tenacity.

More than anything I admire the willingness to learn. Over the years I have watched a few mites who have used the forum to develop skills, learn.. and each time they give a little bit more, they are more polished, more confident.

It has come with the courage to write that first report.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am 

I think your spelling, your grammar, your English here is better than the British themselves, MM. :wink: But, most of all, you have encapsulated the essence of a TR - the magic of sharing emotions, unique personalities, the unforgettable joy of a special moment, and the enthusiasm that only real nature lovers will know, with others. TRs do take innate courage to begin but, much more than that, a drive to complete that requires dedication and a spilling out of love. I haven't finished a few myself, so can learn from those that do. Beautifully written here, MM. :clap: :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 am 

Well said everyone :D
Even if you want the pictures to do the talking, please don't put too many pictures on a page! The rule exists for good reasons :)

As has been said before, not everyone speaks english as a first language, but the love for nature shines through trip reports!! It is trully amazing and contageous! :D Before I joined the forums I read the TR's and loved them! My favorite was 'confirmed campers report' by WendyA! Now as a person who is on trip report number 7, I can assure you that the writers need you to ENGAGE in the report :D your comments add value to the report! And without the encouragement of comments it is not worth writing. So as a writer, take time to respond to the comments so the TR is an exchange between nature lovers :D :D without comments, I do not want to write. And without a writer responding, I do not want to continue commenting. So my biggest tip is to consider the TR a two way exchange :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:D Thanks for all the good advice. :thumbs_up:
So when writing a TT you need a start, middle and a end. 8) (And be yourself) :wink:
You also need to let the story flow. Pictures is good. Imotion needs to be express. It's about selling your experience.(reliving your trip in a awe) Let others enjoy in the passion of your experience.(colour the imagination) Make them feel part of your trip by inviting them into your thoughts and let them imagine the moments you enjoyed. :hmz:
Also inform about good and bad experiences.(give some info) 8) Info is good, what to do and what not to do.(info about animals, camps, roads, activities, sightings, food, picnic sites, view points etc.) :thumbs_up:
Any other thoughts? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

I keep record of all our sightings........not only the nice and big ones........when we see something special I just dot down the extra info.....how far from the nearest waterhole, how many, any thing interesting that happened. Then when I write my TR I sit with these notes next to me to refer to.

There is so many different styles of TR's and that is what makes them unique......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am 

.... finishing what one starts is also a good idea ....

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next