Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Storms river camping
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hello to those experienced campers :D

We will be camping at storms river during the April holidays we have booked a site with a view and i am curious as to what to expect camping on the ocean front. What must we do regarding wind? :hmz: we will be using a camping trailer with a trailer top tent and also a roof top tent what can we expect? also where can we do some MTB trails whilst we are there ?

looking forward to your responses :D

Post subject: Re: Storms river camping
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm 

Never have actually camped at Storms River, but I can assure you that you can expect wind :lol: Mind you, April along the coast is fairly mild, even with regard to the wind. I would just keep it in mind when setting up camp; to use strong pegs etc.

A really beautiful campsite!

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:21 am 

Except for the one time in May, where we experienced gale force winds, camping has always been a pleasure at Storms. I normally visit in August and I usually camp at the furthermost end of the campsites nearer to the restaurant rather than the sites closer to the Otter trail start.

I suppose it would be possible to get slightly damp due to the sea spray, although this has not been my experience. Again this would depend on weather conditions.

Storms must be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I can’t help with the MTB trails but the area is conducive to supporting this activity in a big way.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm 

There is almost nothing that you can do if the regular gale force wind hits you in a camping trailer at Storms. There is no place to hide. This type of wind usually destroys a rooftop or trailer tent and side tents in minutes...or even seconds.

But otherwise this is a beautiful place.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm 

Hi all

have camped view site at Storm's River with similar rig, turned trailer plus tent sideways on the site
so front was facing directly towards the sea, just moved the chairs around as necessary, also big help when using gas and braai, also try to get closer to restaurant side. Hope that helps.

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm 

Thank you for the responses, we are really looking forward to our stay at storms river. Being regular campers at Kruger i am feeling a bit out of my depth trying a new camping experience.

Not sure on arrival are you allocated a site or do you take what you get as is the case in most of sanparks camping sites ( except tsendze ) :D

Maybe for the guyropes on the tent we could always double up the ropes????????

thank you

let the count down begin only 70 days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm 

If possible, it would be a better idea to get a campsite allocated to you as it gets very busy at times and you don't want a large campervan/landcruiser with a trailer parked in front of you. I would call them directly and ask for them to send a map of the area to ensure that you get a great stand.

Post subject: Camping at Stormsriver
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 am 

Hallo everyone

I am new here on the forum and hope you can help me with a few questions. Me and my family(wife and to small kids) are going camping at Stromsriver camp for 5 days during Desember and after that at Addo for 5 days. The only spot I could get was a tent site with no view and power at Storms and it seems that all the sites at Addo are the same.

I there anybody that can maybe help me with the size of these sites at Storms and should be kept in mid when camping over there with a tent and small children.

Thanks
Johan

Post subject: Re: Camping at Stormsriver
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 am 

Johan, I was at SR just a few weeks ago, and walked around the camping area a few times, now I wish I had paid more attention to the size of the sites! I think they are a reasonable, average camping site size. And if you have one with no view, it is most likely to be more sheltered from the wind and sun than the front sites, so a bonus imo. There is a lovely pool right near the camping area, so super for kids. If the coastal weather is good, SR will be a special place to camp in December.

Addo sites are well sized, and demarcated. Lovely camp. And most have nice shade.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Johanwb, the place is great. There are a few camp sides hided in the bushes. Think you will have a great time. The camp sides seems to be very spacious.
Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:14 am 

Did not camp there myself, but when I was there I saw some tents pitched with the rear of the tent facing the sea. Also tie your tent down with straps. I have seen campers do this at Loskopdam Camping site, even their caravans. Gazebo covers are removed when not in use. This we only realized after loosing a gazebo and having our tent ripped in a storm with high winds. But you are going to have a wonderful time. Just go prepared.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 am 

mizzbee wrote:
If you haven't already booked your campsite, this is site 112. It has electricity but is classed as not having a view. I beg to differ.

Storm straps seem to be the latest rage if you are still worried about wind.

I also camped on this site in May last year. It is classed as having a view but no electricity. I checked it out when we stayed on a site nearby a few years before without electricity when I had a gas fridge. I took a chance last year when I went there with a fridge that works on electricity only and it worked.

I mentioned to the reception official while I was there that the site had electricity and they were adamant that it did not. You can use about 4 sites in the area as the electricity box had about 4 plugs and can be accessed with an extension lead. The plugs are not 3 pin but the "caravan" type and you need an adaptor which can be bought at any outdoor shop. I noticed that the shop in the park also sold these adaptors, but maybe best to take your own in case they are out of stock.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:48 pm 

Johanwb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have looked around and got some nice info from some older posts. I managed to get hold of somebody at Storms river offices and it seems that "the no view with power" sites are actually on the edge. I have tried to scale the stands size with Google earth and it seems to be about 6mx10m, wich is actually nice, but about 200m from the ablutions.

The stands are from no. 100 -112, but unfortunately that is the only info I could get from Sanparks since they can't reply on e-mails. I have asked them to confirm the site allocation and the size of the stand over the telephone as well, but unfortunately it was raining yesterday and they couldn't help me, so lets see if I can get some feedback today.

I stayed there last year in May on site 110. It was classified as having a view but with no power BUT actually did have power. The sites from 100 upwards had no power. All these are nice large sites.

The sites classed as having power and no view are actually in the middle of the main Caravan Park and do have a view of the sea but this could be obstructed by caravans if it is full. These sites are quite small and not very level.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 am 

I have just come back from 4 wonderful days camping there in out Ten/Trailer van and I took a couple of pics of the various sites.

Here is one of the Campsite with View but no power, However as previously mentioned, there is a working power outlet with 4 plugs (Caravan type adaptor need and this is for Sale @ R120.00 in the Camp Shop)

https://plus.google.com/photos/11321485 ... 0034839858

Here is one of the Campsite with Power and No View, You can see that it slopes a bit.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11321485 ... 7249308050

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:33 am 

O.K. It seems that photo's will not open.
Lets try this (Campsite with poer and no view

and this Campsite with view and no power

Last edited by Alex Bond-Smith on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.