Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Nossob 4 x 4 Eco Trail
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow, lions AND Eland :dance: fantastic !! Thanks for keeping us updated on your trails Miros - love reading about them and having been there it nice to picture it all again - when you say you had lunch at Eileens pan I can close my eyes and see our group all sitting there under the shade of the tree having a nice break :D Lovely, thank you !

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 pm 

G, thank you for leading us on the trail between 20-24 may it was the best! We learnt a lot, enjoyed sleeping in nature and I wish you excellent trails in the future!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:01 pm 

Scouter wrote:
Welcome to the forum Defender TAZ - hope you have an amazing time in KTP and enjoy the Eco Trail - its stunning :thumbs_up: and please can I ask a favour for all us Defender drivers who have tried and failed - please get over Big Bertha for us :pray: :slap:

So... we did the trail on the 28 to 31 May. What an experience. We were the only vehicle on the trail, with Miros. Basically a personalised tour of the Kalahari :D Well, when Big Bertha came up, Miros stormed up and then it was our turn, with a faily loaded Defender. . Tyres down to 0.8 bar. 3rd low, up to fourth low and stormed the dune. As the revs dropped, foot on the gas and a very quick shift back to 3rd and we sailed over the top. 1st time. So there we celebrated and held the flag high for the Defender drivers

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Defender TAZ :hands: :congrats: :thanx: - I think these are all in order - fabulous !! So glad you enjoyed the trail - Miros is an amazing guide so wow ... am slightly :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: I did drive the Leeudrill 4x4 trail myself this time with my SO in the back seat giving some ( :whistle: ) advice and really want to come back and do the Nossob trail again ...

Thanks so much for the awesome news - you rock !!

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Last edited by Scouter on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am 
Guru
Guru

Morning all,

Unfortunately all good things in life comes to an end :cry:

Graeme AKA 'Miros" who have done the 4x4 trail the past 6 months have left the park to proceed with his Field Guide training. 'Miros' joined the park as part of his 6 months 'lodge placement'.

Graeme did such a good job with the Nossob 4x4 trail, not only in his reports but also with his guest relations; therefore we will miss him and his sense of humour. He surely was a true ambassador for SANParks - Kgalagadi.

As management of Kgalagadi we wish him all of the best for the future and his guiding career.

Thanks Greame and all of the best.

I will make sure that the Nossob 4x4 guide will keep up with the feedback on the 4x4 trails and to keep up with the good work Miros have done.

KG

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
thanks Miros and good luck for the suite :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 pm 

KG, as you say all good things come to an end. I enjoyed the weekly read.
Looking forward to the updates from the Nossob Guide.
Thanks for letting us know
BDM aka Bryan.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm 

Thank you for all the updates Miros, and good luck in the next stage of your career.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 am 
Guru
Guru

Nossob 4x4 eco trail report July 02 – 05 2012
Day 1

Starting at Nossob on a sunny winter’s morning and after some rearranging of luggage 6 vehicles and 20 intrepid explorers and a guide began the Nossob 4X4 trail. Traveling north we came to the beginning of the trail were some useful tips and advice on how to tackle the trail was inparted we set off in too the desert for our 4 day adventure. Shortly after the start of the trail we stopped for the days lunch break were there was nervous chatter about what lay ahead. With lunch finished we set off to see what the desert and its animals had in store for us. A pleasant drive through undulating savanna that makes up this part of the trail we had sightings of some female kudu and a magnificent bull with spiraling horns, along with this sightings of gemsbok, steenbok and jackal who on this trail become come sighting yet pleasant all the same. Arriving at Swartbas the first camp on the trail, the tents and cooking places were quickly erected. We then settled in to enjoy a pleasant African evening under a full moon. With a braai fire burning the African night set in we set about braaing supper. Having enjoyed an amazing supper and each others company we began to drift off to bed one by one. As the last of us were heading off to bed their was a shout of hyena and at the edge of the camp in the torch light was a large spotted hyena. After a brief glance around around it took of into the night. There exited murmurs by those that had seen it and groans by those who had missed it. This was too set up for an exiting adventure.

Day 2
Waking shortly before 07H00 to an overcast day a check of the camp proved that we had had no other vests during the night. After an unusual breakfast we pack up the camp and set off for another day of adventure. With in the first 20 km we had stopped counting Eland at around 100 and we had seen around 5 herds with some amazing specimens among them. After having marveled over the Eland we took a short stop at Eileen pan to take in the view and share thoughts on the amazing Eland sightings. We then set forth to tackle the challenge of the trail that of Bertha dune. After briefly stopping off to look at the view and teach more about the role that silver cluster leaves play in Kalahari we arrived at the mighty bertha dune. All but one vehicle were successful in concurring the mighty dune we stopped on the other side for lunch and to discuss how each of the vehicles had tackled the dune. With all the stories finished and lunch eaten we headed off to the second nights camp sight. Arriving at the second camp site that of Rosyntjiebos, camp was quickly set up and a pleasant quit night yet very pleasant night was had under the African stars.

Day 3

Rising shortly before 07H00 to another partially over cast day and yet another night of no visitors. This was starting to build the pressure for a last night that would need some African ambiance. Striking camp we set off stopping off at the local view point to take in the vast expanse of the Kgalagadi. Other than the stop at lunch the drive through was pleasant. Yet what lay ahead. Arriving at swartbas the camp for the last night we sighted at large male off on one of the dunes. He looked at us and went back to sleep, the same drill of setting up camp and preparing supper went with out worry besides the checking of the were about of the lion, with the aid of a spot light we made regular checks of the water hole that is near the camp sight, we were rewarded with the sighting of a brown hyena that had come to the water hole to drink. While clearing up after supper we heard an African sound that goes right through you that of an African male lion calling off in the distance only for our resident male to respond thus sending shivers down our spines. This talk continued back and forth for a good few minutes about what would happen next. A few minutes later we heard the roar again yet this time they were on the move. The spot light come on and the kids were moved to safety we then saw the there were two magnificent male lions at the water hole drinking. After their fill the moved passed the ware tank and up passed the camp to within about 50meters of us and off into the night making their present heard all the time. They were on their way to investigate the intentions of the intruder in their territory. The excitement around the camp was at fever pitch and there was none stop talk of movements of the lions this was an amazing series of events too witness. It did not stop there the could be heard calling through out the night.

Day 4

After little sleep after spending the night listening to the lions again we were up at around 07h00. With the last night still fresh in our minds the morning was continue with the excitement, as we were visited on regular basis’s by brown hyena coming to the water hole to drink. After interrupting our packing up to watch the hyenas we continued on the trail. Yet not five minutes out of camp we found the remains of an Eland carcass along with a Brown Hyena white back vultures and black backed jackals. Thus the discovery on why the lions had looked so well fed could be explained. Continueing with our travels we had to contend with porcupine diggings and aardvark holes in the road which added to the challenge of navigating. We stopped at the largest Shepard’s in the park before coming to the end of the trail were we said farewells to friends who had started the trail as strangers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:15 am 

Wow, quite an experiance indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Must book to do the trail again late next year!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow, I,m :mrgreen: about that lion sighting! "Arriving at swartbas the camp for the last night..." Was that Witgat perhaps?

Thanks for bringing back some great memories! I see all the vehicles but one made Bertha. Land Rover maybe? :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 pm 
Guru
Guru

Herewith some pictures of the last trip on the Nossob 4x4 Trail.

Large Eland herd
Kids learning the uses of a Tsamma melon

The joy of camping on the 4x4 route.

At Witgat Campsite.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Me too WKK.

I can picture the trip. I bet they didn't swim at Witgat though. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
:dance: a lot of Elands... alive... and dead...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

Kgalagadi Guru wrote:
Morning all,

Unfortunately all good things in life comes to an end :cry:

Graeme AKA 'Miros" who have done the 4x4 trail the past 6 months have left the park to proceed with his Field Guide training. 'Miros' joined the park as part of his 6 months 'lodge placement'.

Graeme did such a good job with the Nossob 4x4 trail, not only in his reports but also with his guest relations; therefore we will miss him and his sense of humour. He surely was a true ambassador for SANParks - Kgalagadi.

As management of Kgalagadi we wish him all of the best for the future and his guiding career.

Thanks Greame and all of the best.

I will make sure that the Nossob 4x4 guide will keep up with the feedback on the 4x4 trails and to keep up with the good work Miros have done.

KG

Thanks KG! It was a truly amazing experience living and working in the park - one which I will never forget! I have to thank everyone at SAN parks for making me feel so welcome and treating me as part of the family.

I have just emerged from the training camp in Kruger where I completed the last portion of my Guiding course, and so have been released back out into the wild - or, in my case, Cape Town. It's taking some time to get used to living in civilization again - just last night I heard guineafowl alarming outside my window, and was halfway out of bed to see if I could find the leopard that was upsetting them before I realized where I was.

I'm not sure what comes next for me, but I know that the Kgalagadi sand is in my blood, and I will definitely return to the park again at some time in the future.

In the meantime, I have a few more trip reports that I'm in the process of writing up, and will be posting shortly now that I once again have a working internet connection. I'm also beginning work on the 33 thousand photos that I took during my year-long South African adventure - many of them in the park, and which I will post here once I've got them sorted, catalogued, and edited... so, that may take a while.

Go well!

Miros Photography on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbfootprints/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next