Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Sightings
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:45 pm 

Stunning photos Phumba. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: How do you manage to get such clear photos on a sunset drive? I am so envious! :mrgreen:

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good day all,

As the South African school holiday is up and running, with guest in camp it is a bit hard to be active inside an office. Running around in the camp and running to activities and back, a lot of good sightings visible from inside and outside camp made our weeks excitable. First high light of the month was the wonderful encounter I had as a first rifle. A moment you always expect but never expect it the way it happened. Irving always came up with the explanation that you don’t want a black rhino charge whilst looking into the sun, I always thought he joked and normally you will get the animal sighting in such a way that you will have time to move around and get the dangerous animal that you can see it and not so that it can see you. I was in a hippo sighting and with the speed of light in the sun came this beast running towards us, no warning, not even a sound just steam blowing out of her ears and being like the animal you loved most, I realised a black rhino charge on such a peaceful morning and that into the sun, stopping 12 meters in front of us, made me think of only one thing and that was myself. Who else in the world can be so mean spirited, being a woman and crazy?

The sunset drives have been terrific and last night with my grand finale a leopard and rhino with a calf to fill up the big 5 for the evening. The Lower Sabie pride of 7 cubs and 5 females are still around. This pride full of surprises and so full of love if it comes to the cubs that they have nursed in such a good manner.

The walks, besides the mean women has been great and nice buffalo and leopard sighting this morning to make my day and to greet great friends. bye bye Brachenfell!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:37 am 
Guru
Guru

Good morning all,
When you start a drive off planning for two guest and 10 shows up you can just imagine the night is going to start slow but end of with a grand finale. Well my start was elephants, big herd of buffalo and a few rhinos but so was the previous night’s sunset drive. Late night drives are a bit torture because with the sunset drive by the time it gets cold you back at camp, late night drives your blood pump until it is frozen and look like slush puppy at a good thriller movie. The first straight stretch from the causeway our two mothers and their 7 lion cubs walking in the road. Curiosity got them very close and civets, genets and hyenas filled up the road later.

But that was not the grand finale just yet, a beautiful otter came running next to the river here at the bridge, normally you just see them swim, so if they run they look even funnier.

Have a lovely day!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 am 

Martie - always a thrill to read your reports. Keep up the good work! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

I love reading your posts, Martie.

I have booked a Sunset drive and a Late Night Drive for when I am at Lower Sabie, in October. I really hope to do at least one of those with you. Hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer then. It usually is by then tho'. I can't wait!!! :dance: :dance:

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm 

Thanx for all the updates.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great photos!
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm 

Just back from a KNP weekend, stayed just one night at Lower Sabie. Unfortunately the night-drive was sold out when we arrived so settled for the sunset-drive. Highlight was surely the 5 Lion cubs we came across at the very last light Saturday evening.

Further on into the we dark spotted a White-tailed Mongoose (camera not at the ready) and later a Civet (our first)

On our own drives highlights were Rhino a plenty, Ground Hornbill, Spotted Hyaena and more Lion.

Not a perfect background

Unfortunately we missed Martie for our drive (unlike back in September 2011). Although our guide was both knowledgeable and a great spotter, we surely missed the enthusiasm of Martie and some of her other colleges.

All the best, Michael

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm 

Hi Martie,

When can we expect a new post on LS Sightings.

We miss your reports, :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: make our day and post a report.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 am 

Anja Barnard wrote:
We stayed at Lower Sabie on Saturday night and although we did not have a lot of great sightings, the few that we had were great.

On Sunday morning (20 March 2011) we left Lower Sabie at 5:30 and decided to take the s128 and salitje road, but thought that we will first try our luck with the mativuhlungu leopard. We knew our chances were 0% but went there anyway. On our way there, several cars rushed pass us. When approaching the bridge (windows open) I heared the guinefowls "going mad" and as I looked down the river, I saw it walking and it disappeared within a few seconds. We couldn't believe our luck, but were disappointed as it was just a quick glimpse. We decided to wait a while to see if it wouldn't appear again...

Another car arrived, who turned out to be Collin W and family / friends. We waited and again we thought our chances of seeing it was zero... Wrong again. It suddenly appeared in the road. We couldn't believe our luck. He walked on the road and headed for the "predikant" at the s28 turn-off. He then jumped up and laid there for about 15-20mins. It was only the 2 cars for quite a while before other cars arrived. After a while, he jumped off, walked on the s28 and layed down in the grass next to the road.

Also found 2 male lions on the s128 close to the salitje (s30) turn-off. We were again just at the right time, right place. It appeared in the road, one laid down for a few seconds and dissapeared again in the long grass. Please excuse photo quality, but here they are.

We also found this weird, strange looking giraffe. Does anybody know what could be possibly wrong with it?? :huh:

lack of Malanine in the skin.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 pm 

Hi Martie

We were lucky enough and privileged enough to have two night drives and a walk with you. Shaun and I (Capetown and Durban boys) would both like to thank you for your awesome night drives and walks. Not only did we learn so much from you, including a couple star gazing tricks, dancing Chameleons; we were also fortunate enough to have a 5 out of 5 the one night, and a 4 out of 5 on the other. :clap:

Will post some of our pictures once I have downloaded them all. Unfortunately I am now at work feeling really sorry for myself that my Kruger trip has now come to and end :wall:

The San Parks are really fortunate to have such an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide and we will most definitely be back for more Night Drives and Walks.

Many thanks

Gareth & Shaun

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:50 pm 

:hmz: Wonder when will Martie give us an update on LS Sightings.

Martie we miss your reports. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Me too ... missing you Martie :?

Leana :thumbs_up:

KTP: Dec/Jan 2013
Kruger: LS May 2012

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good Day all,

Well a very busy month that passed and a little shortage in guides at this moment in our camp so we running around like crazy. The sightings were amazing and the one lion sighting I will never forget was the one night when two females and their seven cubs walked in front of the vehicle on the late night drive. Suddenly a giraffe came walking into the road and the two females crouched down, I expected the worst for the giraffe but then the most amazing thing happened. The two ladies just watched their cubs following this huge tall creature and in a row next to each other were the seven cubs, not one out of line, just calmly relaxing walking with Mr. Giraffe for about 500 meters or so.

The leopard sighting of the month was the baboon kill in the tree at the sausage trees on the route to Crocodile Bridge. I’ve never seen leopard eat baboon but always a first, I don’t think they enjoy eating baboon, and the way he spat out hair was disgusting.

I also have another few records; the one is the 12 rhinos I’ve seen together and a sighting of a white tailed mongoose.

On the walks we have been lucky to see an osprey and a few other great bird species and just the sunrises are wow!!

From now on I will keep you up to date.

One last thing, I would like to greet our Head Guide Irving that left to Satara, be as great there as you have been here.

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: Welcome back Martie

Thanks for the update - and the news about the cubs :D

I am on board for the next LS report :popcorn:

Leana

KTP: Dec/Jan
Kruger : May

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next