Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 3 of 8
 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Counting the days
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyoneImage

Day 57

Today I have some LIONS for you.

We found this lady on the Gardenia road. She and a few other ladies surprised us one morning.. We left camp very early and saw them hanging out. We were very lucky as we were the only one seeing them.

In 2010 we left Lower Sabie early morning and headed towards Satara. All of a sudden a lioness appeared from the grasses. I was driving and braked so fast that Philip almost went through the windshield. When we stopped, she crossed the road, being followed by a few of her cubs. It as amazing to see.

Roan and I went for a late afternoon drive last year. We were staying in Satara and only had about 15 minutes left before gate closing time. About 3km from the gate we saw this lion walking towards us. We were very exited off course, but felt bed for the lion. He was almost surrounded. We stopped, the lion and all his followers passed us and we wondered how many of them will get a fine for returning lat to camp

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 56

YELLOW RIBBONS

Just a nice pic of our YR.

This picture was taken during the Cricket@Skukuza weekend. Some forumites went to Granokop for some sundowners. Nice to see yellow ribbons line up like this.

In 2009 we came across a few baby hyenas. They were sniffing the cars and one of them thought my yellow ribbon was kind of fun to play with. I was not so amused, because he played so rough that the ribbon began to torn. And his friends came to help him finish the job. We had to leave to protect my ribbon :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image
Day 55

Food plays a big part when going to kruger. Here are some pictures for you today.

Preparing eggs for 17 family members for breakfast looks like this :lol:

On our last trip, Philip taught Roan how to prepare the bacon for breakfast. He got so good at it.

Our Braai (BBQ) is always fully packed. Sometimes we grill extra meat for lunch the next day.

Here I am, making our brekkie at our favorite picnic spot Mlodozi.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 54

Today I'm posting some of my hundreds of hornbills pictures. I find them very photogenic. I just can't resist taking pictures of them.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image
Day 53
At Makhadzi there are some very talented people. What one can do with a can is just amazing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 52

In 2009 we were on a mission. Roan, Eric and I decided to do something for the kids of kruger. On our previous visits to kruger, we saw lots of young kids at the picnic spot. It's the children of the employees working there. They join their parents during the day and they are usually bored and do not have a lot to keep them busy with. So the boys and I collected lots of toys, puzzles, coloring books ect. ect. to make goody bags for the children. We traveled from north to south, entered kruger at Pafuri and left kruger at Pretoriuskop, stopping at almost every camp and at every picnic spot.

One of the forum members 'KLIP' heard about our plan and said he will donate soccer balls for each child. So we headed off to Kruger, with 20 goody bags, 20 big soccer balls, en and 20 smaller balls. At the end of our trip, we gave it all away and made lots of kids very happy. (we had lots of bags left over, and unfortunately didn't find many kids at picnic spots, so we gave them to children in the camps as well.)

Each bag looked like this (with a verity of toys) and each child got a big and small soccer ball with it.

Our first stop was at Pafuri picnic spot. We saw Frank there and he was very happy, as his children were with him that day.

Franks little boy very happy with his ball.

Frank played with them. Really heartwarming to see

We gave some bags to kids at Shimuwini bushveld camp. Portia is the manager there and took us to the staff village.

When we arrived at Biyamiti the manager told me they have 4 children in Biyamiti, but only 2 are living home. I told him about the gift bags and while we were talking, we heard kids singing "happy birthday to you" in a distance. One of the 2 children turned 3 that day. SO it was a perfect day to give her a goody bag. SO we asked if they could come to our cottage to collect them.
The birthday girl in front.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 51

Here is some of our furry friends pictures today.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 50

In 2010 we stayed in Letaba. One evening the kids and I went for a walk after dinner. The moon was beautiful.
We took the pathway towards the restaurant and we walked in a row. Me in front, Roan behind me and Eric at the back. Suddenly Eric screamed out… MOM!!! SNAKE!!! Image Roan and I already passed it without seeing it. Eric froze about 30cm from it, lighting his torch on it.

I yelled for him to stand back. The snake moved forward, and we all stepped back. The kids were hiding behind me and luckily I had my camera for a quick photo. BAD IDEA!!! The moment I flashed my camera, the snake stopped, looked at us and raised his front part of his body a few centimeters from the ground. The snake was about 2 meters long and this threatening look terrified us. We ran!!!Image At the elephant hall we shown our pictures to one of the employees, and he’s sure it was a black mambaImage

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 49

Cricket@Skukuza 2012

On our way to the cricket match early morning, we saw wild dogs. Lots of mates were there as well. Here is a nice picture of JenB and Sparks.

A picture of our 3 sisters and Cheetah just before the big game. From left to right : Cheetah, Geocor, me and PetraJ

The Angels and Groenkloof Rhino’s. This year the Angels won for the first time. Image

A Few mates met for sundowners at Granokop (mathekenyane)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 48

Today I’m posting a picture of us and the kids.

This photo was taken on our second honeymoon in Tamboti

This one was taken years back. Eric saw something in the bushes and wanted to show his big brother.

Philip and the kids spotted me at Granokop.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 47

Days can be very long in kruger. Especially for the kids. So we usually rent a car where the seats can be folded down.

This picture was taken early morning when we left Shingwetzi. We left camp before sunrise and Eric continued his sleep, while Roan was up and ready with his camera.

This is usually how the back of the car looks like round noon. Eric fast asleep. Looking thru the pages of his mammal’s book is soooo exhausting.

Well, when you’re on the road for hours, seeing nothing interesting, just listening to some children’s music, a guy can’t help falling asleep.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 46

Today I’m posting some of our hundreds of elephant photos. I will post some more ellie pics later on.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 45

I’ve got some random pics for you today.

My kids enjoys going to the real ‘bush’ movies in Satara. I wish they had those in every camp

This picture was taken in front of the gate at Mopani. We were only 2 cars leaving at 5:30 when the gates opened that morning.

Sunset in Kruger never disappoint.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 44

In 2010 we left Mlodozi after we met up with the family. We heard about a lion kill. So lots of us headed in that direction and this is the first sight we had.

The lions killed a giraffe and although we didn’t see them, we saw these guys feasting

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Good day everyone Image

Day 43

Here are some pics of Eric again today. He enjoys kruger in his own way.

Eric enjoying the view from the olifants restaurant deck

Playing in the sand again

In 2009 Eric got his first camera. He made pics of EVERYTHING. He’s got dozens of pics where Dad is driving

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next