Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:12 pm 

In December we stay seven nights at Rooiputs and then want to leave to Namibia via MataMata. Must we stay in SA camps also or is that right to stay at Rooiputs and then leave there? Also, is that permit the only one we neet? I knew we must go to Twee Rivieren for the customs.

We want. To drive in one day from Rooiputs to Mata Mata and then camp just outside the park.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm 

Hi all

Managed to sneak a last minute break to the KTP middle of next month. Last visited 2 years ago so very much looking forward to getting back!
As opposed to driving back home to Cape Town the way we came (Upington, Calvinia etc) or across to Augrabies etc (did that when we went to KTP last time).
We want to drive back through Namibia, through Ais Ais / fish river Canyon, etc. Our last night at the park is at KTC so we can exit through Mata Mata.

Thats the background, my questions are:

1. We enter at TR (not staying there) will spend 5 nights in park, last camp will be KTC. Can we do RSA exit immigration on our arrival at TR (14/07/12) for leaving at Mata Mata 5 nights later (19/07/12) ?

2. What time is the immigration department open from in the morning at TR and at Mata Mata?

3. My vehicle is owned in full by me (no finance etc), what papers do I need to take with me?

4. We have 3 - 4 days to get back to Cape Town (I know it would be ideal to have a longer period of time but work pays for these little adventures!) can someone suggest a route that is suitable for a Nissan Harbody Hi-Rider 2x4 that will take us through Ais Ais / Fish River Canyon back to RSA.

5. Places to stay (we are not camping) and pick up supplies enroute in Namibia.

6. Anything else I should be aware of?

Guys, Gals and all forumites I thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

Regards

Marcus

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello Marcus

I can't answer all your questions, but will have a bash at those I can ... :)

Quote:
1. We enter at TR (not staying there) will spend 5 nights in park, last camp will be KTC. Can we do RSA exit immigration on our arrival at TR (14/07/12) for leaving at Mata Mata 5 nights later (19/07/12) ?

Yes

Quote:
2. What time is the immigration department open from in the morning at TR and at Mata Mata?

I think from 7.30, but it may only be 8. Reception opens at 7.30.

Sure a more knowledgable 'mite will be along soon to answer your other questions .. have a great trip :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Marcus,

I cannot answer all your questions but at least a few:

On arrival you can stamp your passport at the TR reception area. I am not sure the exact times SAP will be available at Twee Rivieren, but guess its from 8 am to 4:30 pm (time for Mata-Mata post)

You need to have your original registration papers and its good to arrange with your insurance company for cover in Namibia.

Remember the restriction on red meat, maize flour and braai wood.

Traveling time of 4 days should be fine. One day to Canyon, 2 days sighting and one day driving back.

You can even consider crossing at Sendelingsdrift, but its best to find out first if they are open during your holiday. Its a pond over the Orange river. Your route can be as follows:

Day 1:Mata-Mata to Keetmanshoop (shop here) and overnight near the lookout point of the Fish River Canyon.
Day 2:Next day enjoy yourself at Ai-Ais hot springs and either return to previous overnight accommadation or stay over at the resort.
Day3: Drive to Richtersveld and stay at Sendelingsdrift or overnight at Springbok.
Day4: Back home

Might see you at Twee rivieren when we exit again. Best of luck with your trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm 

Elize de Klerk wrote:
In December we stay seven nights at Rooiputs and then want to leave to Namibia via MataMata. Must we stay in SA camps also or is that right to stay at Rooiputs and then leave there? Also, is that permit the only one we neet? I knew we must go to Twee Rivieren for the customs.

We want. To drive in one day from Rooiputs to Mata Mata and then camp just outside the park.

Thanks

I also want to know please :? :? :?

Can your guys give us a answered. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Elize and Witklipbank,

I think not all of us are sure but technical speaking it should be fine because there is no real border with Botswana, so I see it as one park. In the information under park it only state " a 2 night stayin the park is compulsary"

We've stayed in the SA camps before crossing into Namibia, but cannot see it as a problem. Best is phone reception at TR and find out. The date in your passport will be stamped on arrival so the border post guys will not query it.

Quote:
Please note: ◦Tourists wanting to exit the park other than the point of entry must kindly note that all immigration controls must be done at Twee Rivieren / Two Rivers, and that a 2 night stay in the park is compulsory.
◦Tourists crossing into Namibia: Kindly note that the standard black and white’ ZA’ vehicle sticker is required. A road levy of R120 per trailer and R240 per vehicle is payable at Namibian immigration when entering Namibia.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm 

Thanks. I will phone them :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 pm 

Thanks very much p@m and Son godin, the information has helped.

One thing that was mentioned was the pontoon crossing, on looking at San Parks web site it states the following:

Pontoon at Sendelingsdrif

***Pontoon is now closed with immediate effect.***

The old pont, that was last in service in 1988, when South West Africa (now Namibia) was still governed by South Africa, has been restored and offers an unusual and convenient way of crossing the Garib (Orange) River that separates the two countries. Before the opening of this border a very inconvenient 485km detour and about 4 hours drive had to be undertaken to cross from one side of the Park to the other.

Does it really mean I will have to make a 500k detour?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm 

Witklipbank wrote:
Elize de Klerk wrote:

Thanks

I also want to know please :? :? :?

Can your guys give us a answered. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Witklipbank, your stay in the park is long enough so you can leave via Mata Mata. Just ensure that when you get to the Park, you go to Twee Rivieren and "book out" of SA at Emmigration. If you want more info PM Kalagadi Guru on this forum or e mail him direct. His name is Jan Kriel and he is the Head: Field Guiding at the KTFP and is based in Twee Rivieren. His e mail address is Jan.kriel@sanparks.co.za. Regards,

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 am 

Hi
I am coming to Kgalagadi with my family in 2 weeks time and have a couple of queries.
Can you advise what can be brought into the park from Namibia:
No firewood I believe. Is charcoal allowed?
Fresh fruit and veg?
Frozen meat?
Anything else not allowed that I should know about
Thanks for any help
JC

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

sucramuk wrote:
Thanks very much p@m and Son godin, the information has helped.

One thing that was mentioned was the pontoon crossing, on looking at San Parks web site it states the following:

Pontoon at Sendelingsdrif

***Pontoon is now closed with immediate effect.***

The old pont, that was last in service in 1988, when South West Africa (now Namibia) was still governed by South Africa, has been restored and offers an unusual and convenient way of crossing the Garib (Orange) River that separates the two countries. Before the opening of this border a very inconvenient 485km detour and about 4 hours drive had to be undertaken to cross from one side of the Park to the other.

Does it really mean I will have to make a 500k detour?

Hi Sucramuk,

The pontoon should be opened between 8 - 16h15 depending on the weather (winding conditions) and water level of the river. The best is to contact them before the time at 054 5610093 if they are open. This crossing can save you a lot of time, but its difficult to determine weeks ahead if they will be opened due to the fact that the weather cannot be forecast so far ahead.

In the link below you will find a PDF brochure to download with lots of information on the Arid parks and border crossings.

http://www.aridexperiences.com/richtersveld.html

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am 

We will be visiting KTP for the first time early Sep. and want to cross into Namibia at Mata Mata. We will be in the park for 7 days so that won't be a problem. Can anyone advise if there will be any problems carrying freshh meat, vegetables or alcohol across that border post into Namibia. If so, what are the limitations.
We will be spending the rest of the month in Namibia eastern and Caprivi regions, so would like to take what we can with us. Thanks for all responses.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 pm 

Just back in UK from great trip including 6 days in Kgalagadi.
Went through Mata Mata post - no problem with any meat or drink. Only firewood not allowed.
We stocked up in Windhoek and Stampriet (surprisingly good supermarket) with fruit and veg. Normal limited tinned supplies in park but some frozen meat and frshish bread available.
Have a great time
JC

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm 

OK, thanks for that update. FIREWOOD, really !!!!??
Taken note. I guess charcoal or briquettes would be OK?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:26 pm 

We had charcoal and can buy bags of firewood at MataMata / Twee Rivieren for about $30. Wood may be OK but there are big signs saying you must declare it and I had heard of it being confiscated so may not be worth the risk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next