Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Selati Restaurant at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When I ran the place in 2001, I took over a staff compliment of 3- the barman/ waiter, the chef and cleaner and the supervisor.
Three months down the line I did a turnover of 23 times more than when I started there, with a staff compliment of 16.
It was the jewel of Skz.
I catered for saffies, the locals, and the rest.
The prices of everything was the cheapest in the whole park, and we made money.
I remember taking out people on the pump trolley a few times a night and gave them some history lessons of the Selati line and Skukuza.
We all had pride in our job, and one complaint was one too many.
Nowadays I hate going there.
The vibe changed, prices are ridiculous and service sucks.
Three weeks ago I made my own drinks in the bar, after begging for it 4 times, including the manager.
But its still a nice place, and its got so much potential

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What a disappointment to read this.

We used to enjoy the Selati Restaurant - it always had a bit of the old time mystery of the area for us - possibly still in the Wacktazz period - food was good, service was good and the prices reasonable.

The last time we had a good experience there was during 2007. We went there in 2008 and what a change, the place was filthy, the food was terrible and courteous friendly good service was unknown of the toilets a disgrace, my wife asked for the manager and spoke to a Portuguese type of lady who was supposedly in charge, who apologised for the situation and promised that they were busy upgrading and that very soon the Selati Restaurant would be restored to its previous standards or even better.

Now while in SKUKUZA and we want to dine out we go to the SKUKUZA Restaurant where the food is quite good, the service quite good and the prices reasonable and the place is clean.

What amazes me is that the Camp Manager does not seem to realize that to tourists everything within the entrance gates of the Camp is SANPARKS, whether privatized or not, surely if they care something can be done about this.

To our family SKUKUZA is still one of the better kept camps in KRUGER and the restaurant the best in the Park. I may bore the readers if I mention why I made the last statement.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
On my recent trip (cricket weekend) myself and two Angels had dinner at the restaurant. Was my first visit at the restaurant and I was most impressed! The service was excellent, and my meal (Hake and chips) was perfectly done. And the atmosphere spot on. I couldn't have asked more to end a wonderful week. Will certainly return again and try their other dishes next time.
Hats off from me to all the staff who made my night most enjoyable and memorable ! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am going to second Boorgatspook there :thumbs_up:

The atmosphere is unique and so steeped in Kruger history. I found my food to be a good standard and compared to J'burg, the price very competative. I am putting it on my "Kruger repeat list".

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:13 pm 

Thanks MM and Boorgat.....hopefully this means they have heeded the complaints and improved the service and food. I really want to eat there when we are in camp in September as the location and history is special. The only way is up for places like this and it is good when they rise to the challenge. :pray: :thumbs_up:

2009 and 2010 trips are a distant memory but will remain special.

TMNP - Got Married and had the Honeymoon blinkers on!! Too busy for TMNP!!.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sanpfan, I have been to Selati a few times.

I have always loved the excitement of the rail line. I cannot say that I had been consciously disappointed. What I have thought is... what a priveledge to be serving there 8) .. if I had lots of finance.. I would grab it.. it is a Kruger treasure beyond understanding.

Post subject: Re: Selati Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 pm 

According to Sam Wehbe, the new general manager for Compass in Kruger the Selati Menu is new
and improved:
Quote:
our new renovations and new Selati Menu

The rest is more private, hence the small quote :lol:

Post subject: Selati Train Restaurant renovation.
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

According to the free Lowveld magazine of September 2011, the Selati restaurant at Skukuza has undergone a revamp that entailed precision refurbishment and restoration.
They don't say when this was done, according to GM of Compass Game Parks Services, Wesam Wehbe, a lot of planning went into this "challenging process" and never before has he seen such a menu that offers matured T-bone, venison, burgers, seafood, curry dishes, crocodile and pizza.
He also hired "acclaimed chef" Terry Sue, who has experience with prestigious restaurants in London, Italy and Johannesburg.
Truly a mouthful!
Well I certainly hope that it is true.
Selati has always been one of our Kruger favourites, from the days when you had your meal inside in the train dining room after a cocktail in the adjacent lounge.
We certainly will try it out asap, but as they say "THE PROOF OF THE PUDDING ----------

Post subject: Re: Selati Restaurant
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 pm 

Quote:
The facilities were also in dire need of refurbishment,"
said general manager for Compass Game Parks Services, Wesam Wehbe. Wesam set about upgrading the Selati Restaurant and wasn't planning to cut any corners in doing so. "We started to conduct a series of surveys in and outside the park to determine what clients wanted." Wesam also thought that the restaurant lacked expertise, and hired acclaimed chef Terry Sue. She has worked in some of the most prestigious eateries in London, Italy and Johannesburg. And after having a taste of what she can cook up, I will personallyvouch for her skill.

The menu was next on Wesam’s to-do list, and after carefully considering the findings of the survey and consulting four engineers, food experts, and more experts, the menu was laid down.
“South Africa is so multi-cultural,” says Wesam adding, “we have a lot of foreign visitors too, so it was important to have as much variety as possible.” And variety there is, aplenty. Never before have I seen a menu that offers matured T-bone, venison, burgers, seafood, curry dishes, crocodile and pizza! Truly a mouthful!
“A lot of thought and theory went into not only the items on the menu, but also its design and the layout of the kitchen, to suit the dishes we serve,” says Wesam.
As far as revamping the premises goes, he describes it as a challenging process since the train and the station are both KNP heritage sites. Therefore the normal approach “of out with the old and in with the new” didn’t apply, and renovating entailed precision refurbishment and restoration.
All of this has, however, paid off and the Selati Train Restaurant truly does justice to its colourful and historic heritage.

Selati back on track

Post subject: Selati Update
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

Alright Forum Family,

Assistance needed. In Sept we'll be visiting and it'll be my dear mothers birthday. The idea is to go to Selati restaurant for a nice sit down meal when in Skuks.

What is the latest opinion regarding this?

We're all steak lovers so if they can cook a decent meaduim to rare steak and have a reasonable red wine on the menu all is good. I'm not asking for a Kanonkop Pinotage vintage, but if they do it's a bonus.

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Post subject: Re: Selati Update
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 pm 

Quite a few years since I have been in the Selati Reataurant (did enjoy it there :D ), but hope that they still have :
Quote:
Steaks large enough to fuel the biggest engine, sizzle at Savery’s Steaks and grills with the finest cuts grilled to produce the most mouth watering meal imaginable. At this junction it is acceptable to go ‘off the rails’ and discover the wonderful offering of the Best South African wines which our porters will gladly assist you with.

just for you !

Wishing your Mother a very special Birthday :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm 

As you may know SA meat is arguably the best in the world. IMHO the Selati restaurant do an excellent job of preparing it.
They have a good wine list to enhance the experience. And in the main our experience of service has been good. For me it's the best place to eat out in the knp. We go every time we're there, last time in March.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:52 am 

I am afraid to report that my last experience at Selati in December 2011 was shocking to say the least. I had called a month earlier to make a booking and was assured that all was in order, when we arrived in Skukuza that day I went to the restaurant to make sure they had a booking under my name. There was no manager on duty or any staff willing to help us, eventually someone found a print out of the bookings for that evening and we were not on it. I made another booking. We arrived that evening and there was no table for us as there was still no booking!

Service was a joke, way understaffed and the waiters were in over their heads, no clue about the menu etc. We ordered and waited about 2 hours for food. Around us 2 tables got up and left in frustration but at this point we were so tired and hungry we endured the wait. Food when it arrived was edible but certainly not worth the prices.

We ate, tried to pay the bill which took another half an hour to arrive and left as quickly as possible. We joke about it now but it was quite embarrassing at the time as I was trying to have a special evening with overseas family.

It is such a lovely venue and I remember going there as a child and having a great time, I hope they can or have improved the service, food etc.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

We ate there on the last night of our recent trip, as a treat for the two of us, and boy oh boy was it a treat. The service from the waitress was friendly, she constantly had a smile, checked on us and was a pleasure to deal with.
The wine list had good variation and the prices were reasonable (pretty much the same price you would pay at an equivalent restaurant here in Port Elizabeth, so I cant complain).
Onto the food, it was delicious.
I enjoyed my 500g T-Bone (once again a comparable price to an equivalent restaurant here) and my wife had the Chicken Espatada.
I can truly recommend the Espetada, if memory serves me correctly it was R79.
The portion of chicken was very generous, with loads of perfectly cooked fries and oven roasted mixed veggies - great value for money.
I was very jealous of my wife's choice, not because my food was bad in any way, just because of how good hers looked.
We both had leftovers, which were enjoyed as padkos the next day.

To answer your question Riaan, there is great steak available (and other choices too) as well as great wine!

I hope you enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Does anyone have any recent feedback..would like to eat there Thursday night!!? :hmz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next