Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping at Letaba First time
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If we do manage to find a spot next to the fence, what is the recommended length for the extension?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 am 

30 meters should do it at any spot. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 am 

Quote:
Dirt road next to fence?

WH, the dirt road, or the river road to Olifants is about 80 meters from the camping fence. :thumbs_up:

I have seen lion walking down the road from camp a few times, and had this visitor while having a braai. He just stood there for about 2 hours feeding. It is a great camp for camping. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The restaurant has (imho) the best camp view in the park.

There is also a 'cafe' next to the restaurant.

The shop is large and well stocked.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Wildheart ,
One tip that might be of use to you and most camping newbies, when camping anywhere in Kruger, invest in some good strong tent pegs and a decent hammer (I keep a 2 lbs and a 4 lbs hammer in the caravan). Both have been used on many occations by fellow campers in Kruger. The ground can sometimes be as hard as rock. Maybe not too bad now after the rains.
A rubber mallet in my experience will not stand up to the task.
Enjoy your camping

Post subject: Re: Letaba Tv
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm 

There is a TV room at Letaba BerkiSA.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Letaba Tv
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There is also a tv lounge near the shops/pool.

Post subject: Re: Elephant hall closing time
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:37 am 

Hi Alf,

according to the website http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/elephants/ the elephant hall is open mon-sat 8 am to 8pm and sundays 8am to 6pm :D Hope that helps! I love the elephant hall! I am also looking forward to visiting while I am there :dance:

Post subject: Re: What is the game like around Letaba?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

josey wrote:
Letaba is such a beautiful camp you wont want to go for drives!

:thumbs_up:
I love Letaba camp. A trip to Sable dam is always worth the trouble.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:50 pm 

Letaba Camp is one of our favourites and we often stay for a few days there. The river frontage is stunning and we have seen so much from the footpath along the river bank - large elephants families crossing the river; a lion kill with 3 males taking an unknown prey in the reed bed with vultures and hyenas trying to get to the leftovers; lots of hippos and even the large crocs taking a baby hippo off the riverbank right outside the restaurant; a lot of antelope coming and going from the water; masses of birds too from storks to eagles. The Matembeni Hide is also a must for us especially for birds although the local leopard on the road there has eluded us so far.
The road out to Phalaborwa gate is always worth a trip as we once saw a pack of wild dogs with a kill there. And Sable Dam near to the gate is always worth a visit.

Thinking of these past sightings has me wishing away the months until we are back there this September.

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT & Peregrine Falcon

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Grantmissy wrote:
Hi Cheetah Where is this hide? I have never seen it?

Hi Grantmissy :yaya: I am talking about the Matambeni bird hide :thumbs_up:

I can only imagine this spot will be to your taste Grantmissy! A quiet hide where there is always something to see! At this sitting, I saw fish eagle, grey heron, crocs, hippos, buffalo, egrets and that Elephant which came very close to the hide! A peaceful spot with a nice view even without the animals :D

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post subject: Letaba Safari Tents - 4bed vs 2bed
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just had the pleasure of staying in Letaba for a number of nights. I was booked into a safari tent for that period and noticed a huge difference in value between the 2bed tents vs the 4bed tents.

The the 2bed tents although adequate, pale into comparison compared to the 4bed tents and here are my reasons:

1. Location - the 4bed tents are located on the camp boundary(on the fence line) in a very shaded area. They are also close to the pool area. The location felt inviting and quite green and lush. The 2bed tents are a distance away, in the middle of the camp, located between the camping area and bungalow area. It was pleasant enough but after seeing the 4bed units location, I felt short-changed.

2. Distance to ablutions - the 2bed tents share the ablutions with the rest of the camping area, and is one heck of a distance away(an opinion formed in the middle of the night when having to make the journey). On the other hand, the 4bed tents have their own, new ablution block that is located right in the middle of the 4bed tent area. It even comes with a separate kitchen area. The decor style is pleasing(not the usual Kruger style) and feels a lot more modern and clean.

3. Style - the 4bed tents are a lot newer, with nicer outdoor furniture and finishings. The deck is larger as well.

4. Seclusion - the 4bed tents seem to offer more seclusion and privacy, with each tent being spaced a fair distance apart with its own outlook. The 2bed units were very close to each other.

5. Central braai/entertainment area - the 4bed tents, even though each had its own braai stand, have a central area where you can braai and get together. Very suitable for groups or larger family units. It was done very neatly.

6. Security - the 2bed tents, although having a wooden door, cannot be locked. Every time I left the tent, I had to lock all my valuables in my car. The 4bed tents can be locked so you are able to leave possessions in the tent. I was assured my stuff would be safe, and did not experience any problems, but felt it wiser to take precautions.

7. Price - the difference in price between a 2bed tent and a 4bed tent was R35. I tried changing my booking on arrival form 2bed to 4bed but it seemed they were not able to. For an extra R35 a night, I would suggest booking a 4 bed tent as the difference in what you get is immense.

I thought the 4bed tents offered outstanding value and will definitely book them for future trips.

Post subject: Re: Letaba Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:01 pm 

A BG2U is a bungalow on the perimeter. I always phone the camp and ask their advice on the best available unit.
They are always helpful. I also have a U bungalow unit booked for October and looking at the map of the camp it overlooks the river.
Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
saraf wrote:
roaneric wrote:
Hi Bren

I'm also not sure where the BG2U units are. Normally the 'U' is the upgraded ones. We will be in Kruger in August, and I will try my best to visit Letaba and go ask them. I will then make some pictures of these units, as I also noticed they are still missing on the Accommodation photo thread.

U or V usually indicates a perimeter unit.

Your right Sara, Sorry :redface: I meant perimeter and not upgraded. I think its the units left from the restaurant.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 pm 

Bren, I had another look at the map. Number 17 is right on the river.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next