Skip to Content

Skukuza Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What do you think of Skukuza?

Unread postby o-dog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am

Bush Baptist wrote:I used to stay there a lot, but as one 'matures' in Kruger, one likes things a bit quieter.

I have to disagree in some ways. Skukuza to me is great and my folks and older members of my family have rediscovered the greatness of this place. The huts near the Selati restaurant are very quiet in Summer and the views over the river are amazing. If you are up and at the gate at 430 you generally get to the gate first and if not then you have about 10 routes to take to avoid other cars.

I also love the great history of Skukuza and the area is great for viewing.

I think the reason people have a bad time in Skukuza is because they expect the same as other other camps in the park. This is a big mistake as each camp has its own personalitiy and you have to appreciate the, for what they are.

Skukuza is a town with all the things like a police station, post office, airport etc. I think its great that there is a town in South Africa completely in the middle of the bush. If you look at it this way Skukuza is a real gem.

I also used to have to visit Skukuza during work to go to the police station, drop staff at the doctor and organise post and banking stuff. It was an absolute highlight for me arriving there and I used to organise it so I had 30mins for a quick toasted sandwich under the fig trees on the river bank - it was always the best - such great memories!!
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Skukuza cottages/guest houses

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

We have stayed in the Waterkant 2 (GW2) family cottage for three days last week :D .
We liked the enclosed kitchenette on the stoep in front of the braai and it was nice sitting outside during the evenings.
We saw a thick tailed bush baby chasing a mouse in the tree at the braai one night and a lonely bushbuck next to the perimeter fence late one afternoon just before nightfall.
It was interesting to see the old Selati railway tracks right next to the perimeter fence of the cottage for historical reasons and perhaps also to dream of and to remember the steam train safari’s of days gone by as a bit of nostalgia can do no harm.
There is also a green iron structure almost like a bench to be seen next to the tracks but we do not really know what it is or whether it is indeed historical or not.
It was full moon during our stay which added to the overall character of the cottage and surrounding bush. It was very hot :shock: .
The smell of the sun drenched veldt was very distinct at dusk.
At 18:30 one evening we returned from the shop and the thermometer in the car still indicated a sultry 35 degrees Celsius!
Early mornings when we went to explore the surrounding roads we could see and feel the mercury rising as we prefer open windows to aircon when in Kruger to match the freedom of the never ending veldt or at least it seems like it is never ending.
Nevertheless we had such a great time with many good sightings.
Do not support Circuses that uses wild and other animals to perform circus acts to amuse people

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby kite » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Which will be a quieter more wooded spot?
A bungalow, BD2E, on left /west side of camp on main road to most bungalows (and Convention centre), across road from dog cemetary or:-
A bungalow, BD3, on east /right of camp near road to Selati restaurant and close to camping area?
Has anyone stayed near these areas? :hmz:
Many thanks!

rakesh

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby rakesh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Hello Kite,

I did stay in BD2E in unit no 4. That corner was really quite and at night i could hear a hyena close by. Have no idea bout BD3 as i haven't stayed there.

i guess it depends on your neighbours too :) we were lucky to have quite ones.

Imberbe

Re: Church in Skukuza

Unread postby Imberbe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am

Yes, just to confirm. There is a church in the staff village opposite the primary school. Though it is a Dutch Reformed Church (NG Kerk) anybody is welcome to attend. Services are in Afrikaans in the mornings, though there used to be English services in the evening. I am not sure whether this is still the case.

Contact Rev. Carel Lourens at 013 7355424.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi there - some advise please. We are staying at Skukuza later in the year. I am looking for BEST view possible - I think it is between LR2W (SEMI LUXURY RIVERSIDE BUNGALOW ) or GC4V (Guest Cottage)
any suggestions which option to go for?? many thanks in advance

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi there Suebfly

I have stayed in both. The LR2W is located west of the restaurant, while the GC4V cottage is lower down on the bank of the river to the east side of Skuz.

My opinion is that both have almost the same view on the river.

The GC4C is a very nice cottage with a kitchen, 2 bedrooms en-suite, big patio and braai on the grass. We had a wonderful stay there. On the other hand, the LR2W is a unit with one bedroom, big bathroom, patio with a modern built-in braai on the patio. It is much smaller, but very stylish and modern. It was very nice to stay there too :lol:

But again :doh: the view on the river is the same :hmz:

VicRob

Self catering in Skukuza bungalows

Unread postby VicRob » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

Hello to all.

We are newbies to the forum so hope we are posting in the correct place.

We are travelling from Australia, and in April will be coming for our second [but not last] stay in KNP. We have booked four camps over two weeks and cannot wait. Our last stay was only for 5 days, when we stayed in Lower Sabie and Satara bungalows.

My question relates to the cooking facilities in the LR2W [semi luxury riverside] bungalows at Skukuza. We are hoping to do quite a bit of self catering this time and at all camps have booked bungalows with kitchens again. However on looking at photos of the LR2W kitchens it appears that some do not have stovetop/ hotplates which we would need for cooking and heating food. There appears to be some kind of oven in the wall but not quite sure, also we are not quite sure if there are utensils, crockery, pots and pans etc provided in these bungalows.

The other camps we have booked do mention all these items so it just a little confusing, can anyone please enlighten us on this.

Thank you

Selling up in Australia to spend more time in the best place on earth......Kruger

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Self catering in Skukuza bungalows

Unread postby lion queen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:03 am

Hi VicRob,

Have a look here

This is a photo of one of those units taken by roaneric

The oven thing is the build in braai........................ :thumbs_up:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Grantmissy wrote:Does anyone know which is the better of the two categories - the GC6 or the GC6D or are they the same and anyone of the two is good for 5 people? Not sure what the D means. Thank you :thumbs_up: .
As far as I know the D stands for a double bed in one of the bedrooms whereas the other will only have single beds.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Skukuza Guest Cottages - Questions

Unread postby ossendryver » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi

I have been asked to book for 4 people including myself at cottage over looking the river in Skukuza camp.

There are the following options:
Absa Guest House (GAB)
Moni Guest House (GMS)
Guest Cottage (GC4V)
Nyathi Guest House (GNY)
Waterkant 1 Guest House (GW1)
Family Cottage (GW2)

From the map I see these are all the bigger cottages that fit 4 people and are on the river.

I want to know, which are the best in terms of game viewing?
What are your experiences?

Are all of the above mentioned on the river?

And in your opinion which guest house in the whole of Skukuza would you choose for best game viewing?

Photos would help a lot!

Thanks for all your help!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Skukuza Guest Cottages - Questions

Unread postby lion queen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:42 pm

We've stayed over the years in all of the GC4V. They are really super and on the river.

Two bedrooms, two bath rooms, inside kitchen and sittingroom. Table and chairs outside on the stoep.

It's in a very quiet part of Skukuza and we've seen some animals next to the fence and on the opposite bank of the river. Many evenings you can hear the leopards calling.

Accommodation photos
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:24 pm

The GC4V's are great for 4 persons, bedrooms in my view a little tight, but nice living area with open plan kitchen and verandah.
Of the larger ones, Waterkant is nice and private, while Monis is more centrally located with rather superb view.

Best wishes!

JOEP (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)
General Manager: Tourism Operations

shrew

Unread postby shrew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I have been lucky over the years to stay in the following guest houses and cottages, so can advise you.
1) Monis Guest house, great view and centrally situated close to Restaurant and shops but still feel far from the crowds. great for 4 plus people
2) Elsie Clark, super view and the pick of the bunch, great for 4.
3) Waterkant 1 superb view, total privacy, better than Elsie Clark if more than 4
4) Waterkant 2 was ok, no real view, have to go onto Waterkant 1 lawn for view, would pick as my last choice of the above.

All are good units and you will not be disappointed in any of them.

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 am

The best accommodation in Skukuza (in my view) is GC 6 and GW 2 (Waterkant 2). Both have excellent river views. GC6 has a very nice lapa outside. But for privacy nothing can beat GW2 - its a gem right in the corner of Skukuza, feels like you are part of the bush. Enjoy!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”