Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 am 

Hi There

Your baby can have a cot as far as I am aware with no cost. I have my nephews arriving from Australia and the 9 year old pays half price. The cottage was full but they have allowed me to bring in a mattress for him although he still pays half board. I would suggest if you can to phone the hours here are 7am to 4.30pm maybe you can fit in your time. Not sure of your time lapse but I know Melbourne is 8 hours ahead. The number to phone is +27124289111. Hope this helps. I have found the phone the best way of booking as you get immediate response.

Hope you are successful. Good luck

Nicki

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
As far as I know (with limited knowledge) no units in Kruger have mosquito nets, but they all have mosquito screens on the doors and windows, which have always been adequate for our stays there over 35 years.

As also said before if you are going in the SA winter which is fast approaching the risk of malaria is low!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:36 pm 

I agree there are no hooks for Mossie nets. I found the window and door nets quite adequate. You could take some tabard with you for your arms and legs esp feet.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
We've never found any attachment points for netting, though as has been mentioned, the door and window screens seem quite adequate. We also keep the ceiling fan in the bungalow running, which helps keep them off you. we use DEET type repellants and keep covered as much as possible and haven't yet had a problem

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Racky,

For a first visit - 4 or 5 days will be enough for you to decide whether you like or love Kruger. A longer stay is better if possible. From personal experience, staying in a couple of different camps gives you the opportunity to see more of Kruger. Where will you be traveling from?

Bungalows are a great way to go, as are the Safari tents. Most have kitchenettes with utensils, cookware and plates so that you can self cater. We stop near the park get a cooler and groceries so that we don't have to eat at the restaurants. We bring cameras, binoculars, guide books, sunglasses and hats, among other things.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Racky :D a very warm welcome to you. I hope that this is the first of many visits.

Normana is spot on with his advice. I am going to add a couple more suggestions.

I am not sure when in August you plan to come. The first weekend is very busy as it is the weekend of the Skukuza marathon. Places in "central" Kruger are better this weekend to be far from the running crowd. This includes Satara, Tambotie and Talamati.

For a first timer I would not suggest anything north of Satara in August. The game is far more prolific in the south. Lower Sabie is always a good place for sightings and roads. Skukuza is good for first timers as it offers variety. I also love their gardens.

Good luck and happy planning. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 am 

Hi Racky, welcome to the forum.

I can well understand your confusion, I was exactly the same the first time I booked, and there was no forum to ask back then.

As MM said Kruger can get busy in August so you will need to have a look what accommodation is available fairly soon.

All the accommodation in the park is self-catering but ranges from very basic huts with communal ablutions and kitchens to bungalows with ensuite and kitchenettes. All accommodation has a fridge and most have aircon (except the Safari tents). All accommodation has bed linen and towels provided. If no utensils are in the unit then they can be rented from reception for a nominal fee. The "larger" main camps have a shop and restaurant, the bush camps don't. So now have I confused you more than ever?

Please come back to us with any questions you have. And have a look here to give you an indication of what the accommodation looks like.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you book a camp site you need to provide a tent and other equipment as needed. Yes, you can change your booking should something else become available. You can book guided walks etc some time in advance, months if you wish ( to guarantee a place) or you can book the day before at camp receptions or on the day if there are still places available. I would always recommend a guided walk anywhere :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Accomdation help....where are we ??
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm 

Afternoon

We have booked hut 18 in olifants :dance:
and hut 26 in bergendal :dance: 2 very nice huts, but i am having trouble finding the other 2 huts in satara and PKop, as cant find the codes they have given us on their maps.

Satara we are in GC6B where is this and does any one have a photo of it, and Pkop FF6D. :hmz:

can anyone help locate these for us :whistle:

MMM

2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

Post subject: Re: Accomdation help....where are we ??
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Have you checked out this thread for pix MMM? :)

Post subject: Re: Accomdation help....where are we ??
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:16 am 

MaryMittMillie, i have stayed in both the accomadations that you have mentioned,and they both excellent.
at Satara the GC6B is in the D circle and Pretoriuskop the unit is along the perimeter fence.there is a thread called accomadation photos where you can see the photos and check the camp maps for the location of these units,hoping the above will answer your questions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

ossendryver, that specific bungalow has only 1 double bed. It may be a tight squeeze to fit 4 people onto 1 bed.
See the types of bungalow's at the "availability" section of the camp's accommodation page.
It would make better sense to look at the "guest cottages," i e Elsie Clarke or one of the others. It's cheaper, more accommodation and much better value for money.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

HI Mites

Just a quick question about the power supply at camp sites. Hope someone can help.Does one need to plug a special adapter into the power supply socket for us to be be able to use the electricity or do we just use the normal 2 pin plug and extension cord ?
And if an adapter is needed, where could I get one? I live in joburg.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Reptile :D

You will need a "blue plug" adaptor. They do stock them in Kruger Park. I struggled to find one in Gauteng. I did eventualy, but the fuel price made it an expensive search.

Make sure that you have a very long extension cord. I have also had problems there in the past.

Have a great trip. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Which camp? Berg & dal or Pretoriuskop
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Gavin

My vote would go to Berg & Dal :thumbs_up: The camping area there is nicer than at PK, more open space and also bigger, giving you greater opportunity to select the best site. B&dal also allows you to explore a big chunk of the South. Sightings are usually also great in that area!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next